1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

Old 05-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Banned

Would you rather have a new today's...

tricked out CQB Elite or a Supergrade that's 10 years old with less than 100 rounds? And knowing that SG orders are months and months out how long is the build on an Elite supposed to take??
Old 05-26-2011, 05:17 PM

I own a 2009 model CQB Elite which is a nice gun, but in your situation, I would buy the 10 year old Supergrade.

Truthfully, I like my 1996A2 better than the CQB Elite.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:18 PM

WCR keeps saying Wilson is building their best guns today. So, maybe a current production elite would be equal or even greater than an old SG... who knows, but I would take the new cqbe built for ME!

Last edited by intrepid; 05-26-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:28 PM

Would depend upon the condition of the SG, what model SG it is, & whether the round count is really low or not.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:30 PM

I would take the Elite.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:44 PM

I dont trust it when im told ten years one hundred rounds. Whats that ten rounds a year. Lil suspicious

wilson combat tactical L.E., Browning hi power, Gemini customs GP100, Springfield XDS, mossberg 500
Old 05-26-2011, 10:15 PM

I'd go for the SG, shoot it a few hundred rounds then send it to WC for a 'tune-up'....
Old 05-27-2011, 06:13 AM
Honorary Administrator Emeritus

The round count may well be accurate, as many Supergrade owners are more interested in collecting than shooting and/or they tend to have other 1911s for range purposes. The question in my mind is whether or not an older SG is going to be a better (define "better" however you like) pistol than a contemporary CQB Elite.

WCR has long been insistent that the company has never made better 1911s than they are making right now, and although I have approached that statement with a certain skepticism, the more I am able to compare older and newer models (i.e. side by side), the more convinced I am that there is something to it. Even like pistols separated by a span of five or six years can show some of these differences, and while they are often subtle, a shooter that is familiar with the guns can tell one from the other.

Would a contemporary CQB prove the equal of yesterday's Supergrade? Obviously, I could never say for certain without having both in hand, but I would be willing to bed that they are quite a bit more alike than their price tags would seem to suggest.

I'd order a new CQB built to your specifications. There will always be tempting deals out there on used Wilsons (Supergrades included), but when you factor in the price of admission, the opportunity to order exactly what you want in a new gun just doesn't come around that often.

AC
Old 05-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Banned

Ten more years of experience 10 more years of better parts. Seems like a no brainer that a CQB Elite would be the way to go. It won't say Supergrade on it and the real mystery is today being so much busier than they were 10 years ago do we have more of a quanity versus quality than we did then. I like the idea of customizing an Elite to exactly the way I want it anyway. Waiting on another Supergrade in combo with the price increase has bout done me in with the SGs for the moment anyway.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:31 PM

CQB Elite seems to be a wiser choice imo. Though my post is based on from past threads where it seems that you mentioned already having a few SG's, or have a few already ordered, if memory serves me. Is ordering for an CQB Elite going to be any quicker than a SG? Knowing that Wilson takes extreme care in their builds I wouldn't expect that much of a time difference....Now the price increase is another matter.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:11 PM
Banned

I have had one (SG) ordered since Nixon was in office and the other one for a couple months. My goal was to have three SGs (traded several guns, had some gun money built up) but after the latest SG price increase I think it will be fun to just max out a CQB Elite for my third and final Wilson. Then I can think about something else besides Wilson Combat for awhile. My stainless and blue full size has been ordered since July last year. JULY.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:42 PM

I feel your pain Hogs,

Although I only waited 20 weeks for my last Supergrade, this years addition will be at "least" a year with the Turnbull chacoal finish, but the wait is well worth it when you sight these babies in at the range!
I've been waiting on almost 6 months for a pair of Cocobolo starburst grips for my last Wilson build a Ms. Sentinel. So a year wait for a masterpiece I can do standing on my head.

Gio
Old 05-28-2011, 06:02 PM

I had a similar decision and went with the SuperGrade because it is hard chromed. I also like the older SuperGrade feel and the 17-4 PH barrel.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogs View Post
I think it will be fun to just max out a CQB Elite for my third and final Wilson. My stainless and blue full size has been ordered since July last year. JULY.
Good choice! Is the stainless and blue you mention is a SG? I ordered one in mid March and I think it will be the charcoal blued as GioBella mentions, but not 100% on that. I feel great just to get my hands on one, but if I had the money having a couple would be super
Old 05-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Banned

Yes it's a SG. The wait is killin me. Sure am looking forward to having it. I don't think any gun is to purty to shoot but this one may be close.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:18 PM

I'm still keeping up my composure, though underneath it all I'm naturally excited. I know that the wait is long but will be ultimately worth it! This will be my first 1911 with a blued slide, really looking forward to it knowing that in the longer run it would wear a tad quicker...I'm a fan of a well worn patina looking pistol, they exude a "shooters pistol" well used, broken-in, accurate, side arm, especially when all that honest wear is from you

If I had anything that I would change in my order at this point in the build...I'd have requested a gold bead up front. No big deal though as it's something I can later add...

Hogs, if and when you get yours, please post lots of pics, I'll be needing them at that time to keep my pump primed