1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 05-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Sarge's new Coonan holster/holder combo!

It’s no surprise that I picked up a couple of the new Coonan Classic .357 Magnum pistols. I’ve posted pics, and reviews of how they were made, and how they shoot. Since then, I’ve just been enjoying them at every opportunity and developing an aftermarket line of custom grips for them, which will be coming out quite soon.
In the meantime, I found that there are no (I should say “were”) holster suppliers that make a holster or mag holder that is fit to this beast of a pistol. That problem has been corrected. I made a phone call to my friend Jim Clay - owner of C5 Leather . http://www.c5leather.com/ Jim has perfected his holster making art and is my “go to guy” for all of my carry holsters now. We discussed what I wanted, and what was blatantly missing on the market, and he was interested in developing a line of leather for the Classic and it’s magazines. We met, I gave him one of the Coonans to work with and the result is the wonderful piece of workmanship that you see in the pics below.
He conquered the “monolith” style front end quite nicely and the holster is sized just like you want a new holster to be – tight. It broke in quite nicely after leaving the pistol in it for a few nights.
The leather is done to just the right levels of the pistol, allowing a full grip at draw without exposure of the trigger while in the holster. While this one is IWB, Jim can do OWB also, which will be the more popular choice I’m sure, due to the size of the pistol itself.
The mag holder is built with just as much attention to detail and can be made in one or two mag capacity I’m sure (just talk to Jim about this for confirmation). The magazine is protected by the body shield, while being accessible for draw. It’s held securely in place by a belt clip.
The magazine holder was tight also, which is perfect. Don’t forget to break it in just like you would the holster – leave a mag in there for a few days and work it in and out until you get that “feel” that says it’s secure, but won’t bind up on you when you need to draw it.
If you’ve got a Coonan, and you’ve been frustrated by settling for a holster that merely “works”, just contact Jim and step up to one designed and made for the Coonan. You won’t be disappointed!
Thanks!
Sarge

Old 05-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

more pics.....

Old 05-26-2011, 08:46 PM

what are his thoughts about horsehide?? I'd heard it doesn't stretch as much as cowhide. On another note, great looking holster and weapon. Congrats on making me envious.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't presume to answer that question for Jim, as I have no real knowledge on the subject, but I'm sure Jim would be glad to answer your questions on that.
http://www.c5leather.com/
Thanks for the kind words! I kinda like the whole package too.
Sarge
Old 05-26-2011, 10:08 PM

Looks comfortable.
All nice stuff. Congrats on a fine decision.

Dave
SEMPER FI
Old 05-26-2011, 10:13 PM

Gotta bookmark this post so I can show it to the next guy that asks me about carrying that bulky, heavy old FS 1911 Seriously though, awesome looking leather.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-27-2011, 01:43 AM

That's a nice looking versa max ii....wait, my bad....

gorgeous gun and holster though! I want a pouch just like that!

Last edited by hufen; 05-27-2011 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:15 AM

I would like an OWB holster and mag carriers for my Coonan.
Anyone make them yet??

DAN WESSON VALOR, DAN WESSON CLASSIC CBOB,
COONAN B .357 MAG, COONAN COMPACT, SIG 226R SAO ELITE, SIG 238.