1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 05-18-2011, 09:58 AM

Kimber 9mm Reliability?

I am taking a serious look at a 9mm 1911. I was pretty sure that I would be going the Springfield route but then lately I have seen a few used 9mm Colts and new Kimber 9mm's crop up.

I have owned 3 9mm Colts before and 2 out of the 3 were a bit picky on what they liked to eat but were certainly fun to shoot none the less. I have never owned a Springfield 9mm 1911 before but I asked for some feedback from the neighboring Springfield forum and the results were generally positive. So that is where I am leaning at the moment but I wanted feedback from Kimber 9mm owners before I commit any of my hard-to-come-by funds in another 9mm 1911 venture.

So now I am here on the Kimber forum asking for feedback. How reliable were your 5 and 4 inch Kimbers out of the box? Was Kimbers practice of using a 40 caliber breech-face having an adverse effect on the feed or ejection?

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:22 PM

I own a 9mm Stainless Custom II and a Pro Aegis as well as a SA Target Loaded. I've never had reliability issues with any of them shooting both Federal and WWB 115gr FMJ rounds using the stock magazines interchangeably.

The Kimbers remain stock with their MIM components, and plastic MSH in place. I did swapped out the trigger and the grips on the Springer, but purely for cosmetic reasons.

In my experience, the Stainless II is more accurate than the SA Target Loaded, and has become my favorite range gun.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:50 PM

My wife decided that she wanted to get into shooting with me some time back. She did all of her own research and dragged me around to as many places that had guns for sale as she could find. She handled them all and decided on the Pro Carry II in 9MM. She did have a problem originally with "limp wristing" and the results of that. She quickly made the change and ended the problem. The only other problem she encountered was in the mag provided by Kimber. No KimPro Tac available in the 9MM she bought two more from Kimber that work well. At 800 rounds she changed out the recoil spring with a Wolff and added ARMY logo rosewood grips. All that being said, she loves her Kimber. She also beats me up on how less expensive her rounds cost compared to my 45 just for good measure.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:30 PM

I can't speak for kimber, but am going to be reading this thread closely as I am debating about the kimber tactical pro II in 9mm myself.

I do have a springfield EMP9 that my was has taken from me. That lil beast is fabulous, has eaten Georgia arms 147gr, federal AE 124gr, CCI 124 gr without any issues so far, and about 1200 rounds through her at current. for the emp, cant say for the other springers, it is recommend to use 124 or larger rounds, as you "may" have cycling issues with loads below that. saw a few posts regarding the EMPs not liking the 115 and 90gr at times. I dont plan to use anything but 124 and 147 myself, anyhow.

GL in your search.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torinalth View Post
...saw a few posts regarding the EMPs not liking the 115 and 90gr at times...
Just wanted to comment on that. I'm not a Kimber expert, but I have seen other guns/brands not like the 115 gn and lighter loads.

The problem is the recoil spring. The recoil spring has to be selected to accommodate a wide range of weights and loads from light weight range to +P SD loads. If a recoil spring is used that is reliable with lighter bullets and range type loads, then the more powerful and heavier bullets will beat up the gun because the spring will be to light to absorb the recoil before the slide bangs into the slide stop.

If you want to shoot ligher, less potent loads, reliably, change to a lighter recoil spring. But then don't shoot hotter loads with that setup.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:10 AM

I've got about 200 rounds through my stainless Pro Carry II (9mm). I had an issue with the slide not locking back on the last round. My mags are all labeled and I quickly determined that the issue was with magazine #3. As soon as I removed that mag from the rotation, the problem stopped completely. That mag has been returned to Kimber. Other than that, the Pro Carry shoots great. I've found the recoil to be just about equivalent to my Custom stainless II in .45. The 9mm sounds just as loud, too.

I've only used WWB and Federal ammo so far.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:17 AM

I had a Kimber Pro carry II in 9MM for quite some time, when I initially got it I also had issues with the Kimber mags not locking the slide back on the last round. Tossed them and went to wilson mags and never had a problem again.
It was a great gun super accurate.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:17 PM

I have the SS Custom II in 9MM and 45. The 9MM has over 5,000 rounds thru it with no problems. Fun to shoot and accurate.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:31 PM

My Stainless Target II 9mm has been 100% with factory ammo and my reloads. I can't speak for the smaller models but my full sized model works great.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:23 PM

My ST II runs flawlessly after I adjusted the extractor. I use either Tripp 9mm mags or CMC 38 Super mags. With the Super mags I load to a 1.200" OAL. I load the Tripp mags to a 1.150" OAL.
The best buy is the Check-Mate 38 Super mag at $20. The Tripp mags are very good, but a little pricey. I don't know for certain, but I think Check-Mate makes the Tripp mag.
BTW I also have a .40 barrel for it. The wider breech face is a non issue.
Forgot to mention I use 160 gr lead bullets.
I use a 17# main spring and a 10# recoil spring.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:32 PM

Both my Kimber Ultra Aegis II 9mm and my Springfield EMP 9mm have been 100% reliable from the get go. Dennis