1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 05-13-2011, 04:36 AM

Gold Cup NM series 70 vs series 80 MK IV

Hello,
I am here again to ask you some suggestion for my Colt next upcoming buy.

I wanted to ask exactly what is the difference between series 70 Gold Cup National Match and series 80 MKIV Gold cup national match ?

Is it true that series 70 Gold Cup barrels are better than serires 80 Gold Cup ones ?
so at the end is it true that series 70 Gold Cup are more accurate in shooting ?

series 70 here in Italy costs a lot of money at least 1500 USD while serries 80 gold cup costs around 1000 USD.

what is the best choice between the two for shooting at the range ?

thank you
Old 05-13-2011, 02:42 PM

This is not exactly a simple question. When the Gold Cup pistol received the Mark IV Series '70 roll mark in 1970, the Accurizor barrel and collet barrel bushing were installed. In 1983, Colt started making the Series '80 pistols with the firing pin safety. From 1983 to 1988, the pistols kept the Accurizor barrel and collet bushing. In 1988, the Accurizor barrel and collet barrel bushing were replaced with the standard parts.

Later, Colt eliminated the steel "kidney" cutout GCNM trigger and replaced it with a three-hole trigger. At the same time, the sear depressor and sear depressor spring were eliminated. "Enhanced" Gold Cups were offered with the elongated Commander hammer. Even later, Colt dropped the GCNM and introduced the Gold Cup Trophy, which is also a Series '80 pistol.

Some of the early Series '70 GCNM guns had lightened slides and the extractors are visible through the underside of the slide. These guns need to be fed lighter loads to avoid the possibility of cracking the slide, especially near the breech face.

I do not believe the barrels in the Series '80 guns are better or worse than the Series '70 guns or the pre-Series '70 National Match guns. I do believe the Accurizor barrel and collet barrel bushing provided near-match barrel bushing accuracy at factory-installed pricing.

I like the looks of the older Series '70 GCNM with the steel "kidney" trigger, but the sear depressor and depressor spring are a pain to handle during a detail strip. I also would prefer to avoid the lightened slide.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:31 PM

Below is a 1977 Gold Cup National Match (GCNM) on the top and a 1988 GCNM on the bottom (last year for the collet barrel bushing) from my shooty collection. From a distance they are very similar.

The nice thing is in 1984 Colt came out with the GCNM in SS and although they used rubber wrap around grips then, the nice thing is once you take the wrap arounds off, the front of the frame is grooved. I think the grooves on the front of the frame were gone by 93 or 94.

Anyway I put some black Silverwood grips from the old Ajax company on mine.

The last year for the GCNM was 1996 as in 1997 Colt came out with the Gold Cup Trophy (GCT). Below is a 1996 GCNM from my shooty collection. I took off the wrap arounds and put some Ajax fake Ivory on it.

Later I put some nice burl grips on it.

I was holding out trying to find a nice early SS Trophy as they had flat tops in 1997 at least but came across a good deal on a blued Trophy and bought it. On calling colt it was made in 2010, which looks like it will be the last year for the blued flat top Gold Cup.

I took off the rubber wrap arounds and put some wood grips I bought off the Colt website on it.

What I have seen here in the SW USA is Gold Cups made before 1970 are very expensive, 70s less so and it seems like the 80s Series made from 1984 to 1988 are some of the better deals as the 80s system was new and they still had the collet barrel bushing.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:46 PM

farscott,thank you for your excellent post on the differences in the Gold Cup guns. Lots of changes within this model over the years.

Near as I can tell my S70 GCNM was made toward the end of 1974.(70N635xx)

No decent pics;but,here's one with the Elliasons removed:

dakota1911,beautiful Gold Cups and grips too!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:05 AM

I bought mine used a couple months ago for a $1k. It came with the stock rubber grips but managed to find some nice wood ones locally a few days later:

It has a few scratches and scuff marks which I could probably buff out easily enough but I did get it as a range gun first and foremost and it's been operating 100% so far I don't think it was completely stock either, it came with a FLGR and a metal MSH which were not standard parts as I understand it, even on the Enhanced model? But anyway they're great lookers and shooters, definitely pick one up when you get a chance!
Old 05-15-2011, 02:30 PM

dakota1911,

Thanks for the excellent informative post and awesome pictures. I did not know when the Gold Cup Trophy was introduced, and I am wondering if there are any GCNM with the GCT trigger.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:04 PM

I just picked this one up from a local. It belonged to a phoenix detective who did some custom work to it, including the slide refin, which is a dark nickel. Are all Colt GCNM pistols dehoned? Slide on this one feels like it is.. the frame feels incredible too.

I am amazed at the quality of this gun compared to my other 1911s. It's an eye opener for sure. Best $900 I have spent to date

Edit: Forgot to mention, Gold Cup National Match, Series 70 Mark IV

Last edited by mikechandler; 05-15-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:51 PM

There were a few aftermarket items added to that Gold Cup. Some parts recognizable were the King's trigger and CMC hammer. From this one picture it's hard to tell where the mainspring, grip safety, and FLGR are from. Not sure what "dark" nickel is exactly.

-1911Collector

"You have a pretty face. Do you speak Spanish? ...you have a face como un burro." Gru.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Collector View Post
There were a few aftermarket items added to that Gold Cup. Some parts recognizable were the King's trigger and CMC hammer. From this one picture it's hard to tell where the mainspring, grip safety, and FLGR are from. Not sure what "dark" nickel is exactly.

-1911Collector
Yeah, it has some parts replaced - the FLGR uses a alan key, same one as my springer. I think he said the gun was refinished by Robar. I will send them some pics and see if they take credit and know what it is.

Whoever did the custom work did a good job, everything fits/feels perfect.