1911Forum banner

EGW .245 beaver tail safety

10K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  jim42 
#1 · (Edited)
EGW .245 beaver tail safety with pics

I want to install and EGW beavertail on my Caspian frame.cutting of the frame tangs is it the same lets say .250 Ed brown safety?I know that with the EGW safety theres more blending on the safety than the frame. jim

#5 ·
The numbers indicate the distance from the center of the thumb safety pivot hole. The smaller the number the closer it is to the center of the hole. EGW makes the radius .005" smaller for a better fit on those over cut factory .250" radius frames. The process of cutting the frame is the same regardless of the radius, cut the frame close to size then finish the fit by hand for a nice close fit.

#17 ·
I have one of the new Colt Combat Elites and the grip safety fit is pretty bad. Is it possible to fit the EGW grip safety without having the tangs welded? I believe they are cut to fit the Smith & Alexander gs. I have not seen EGW's part so I cannot judge for myself.

#20 ·
If you could make a tight Wilson Combat offset like your .245" for the .250" radius frames, there are tons of Springfield Armory factory beavertail frames out there that would love the attention....including my 2.
Just a thought.
John Harrison has published the fact that the Springer frames are mostly overcut and need to be welded for the invisible joint. Well...Maybe not...:)

It would sure be a one stop shop for grip safeties at EGW if you could add the the tight Wilson and the .220" applications.
Joe

#22 ·
Follow-up question for George Smith at EGW

To clarify for me, a novice: Looking to choose the best grip safety option for a stock, 5" Government Caspian/Foster frame that was not pre-cut for a grip safety profile in their shop.

Do all Caspian/Foster frames come profiled for the eccentric Caspian/Wilson dimension as cast from the shop, or is that profile created when Caspian machines the frame for a .250 radius?

Just trying to see whether I can fit the new EGW safety using the .250 S & A jig I have on hand.

Thanks,

David

#24 ·
...Do all Caspian/Foster frames come profiled for the eccentric Caspian/Wilson dimension as cast from the shop, or is that profile created when Caspian machines the frame for a .250 radius? ...
The "eccentric Caspian/Wilson" is not a .250" radius.

...Just trying to see whether I can fit the new EGW safety using the .250 S & A jig I have on hand...
Yes. It will help you remove the bulk of the material evenly, but you will need to finish by hand using a marker and repeated trial fitting till you have it where you want.

#29 ·
I would have to plus 100 on the EGW grip safeties. I have two here now for guns to be built of the .250" variety and can say they are the finest made I have ever seen. I look forward to the .220" as I think it will work great for the new Ruger SR1911 as well. Besides that, George is a nice guy.

Respectfully,

#30 ·
Shame on George for having a quiet weekend at a cabin :)

George, you deserve a weekend "disconnected." I hope that the weekend at your cabin was restful and rejuvenating!

I have purchased EGW fps, thumb safety and HD slide stop from Brownells. You don't need as novice like me telling you how beautifully made these parts are, but I'll say it anyway.

Having worked as a machine operator for Pratt & Whitney making aircraft engine parts in East Hartford while I was in college, I have a special appreciation for beautifully designed and machined metal parts fit to exceptionally close tolerences.

I'll write Brownells today requesting that they stock the new GS.

Thanks for not only building beautiful parts, but also for sharing information with all of us, pro and novices alike.

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.