1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 05-08-2011, 07:18 PM

Series 70 slide on a series 80 frame?

Ok, I a sure this has been covered but my search did not turn up the info I was looking for and since I am a 1911 rookie I thought I would just ask.

I recently purchased a mid 90's colt M1991a1 series 80.
I was planning on having the slide milled for Novak sights but I came across a great deal on a oem series 70 slide that alredy had Novak sights installed. So here is my question. I would prefer not to disable the firing pin safety on the series 80 fame so how would I go about modifying the 70 series slide to work on the non modified 80 series frame.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 05-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Banned

You could call Colt and ask if they can modify it, but I'd bet that by the time you're done with the work, you won't have saved much compared to installing the Novaks on the Series 80 slide. Or you could remove the FPS levers and just use the Series 70 slide as-is.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:42 PM

Hmmm....interesting dilema, a Series 80 receiver with S70 slide. I wonder if the plunger lever would interfere with the slide minus the plunger? I would pose this question in the Gunsmithing subforum. There are some great g'smiths that hang out there and could answer your question.

-1911Collector

"You have a pretty face. Do you speak Spanish? ...you have a face como un burro." Gru.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Collector View Post
Hmmm....interesting dilema, a Series 80 receiver with S70 slide. I wonder if the plunger lever would interfere with the slide minus the plunger?
Rather than lifting the plunger, the lever would contact the solid area of the slide where it's supposed to be. The spacer to replace the levers is only a $5 part.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Collector View Post
Hmmm....interesting dilema, a Series 80 receiver with S70 slide. I wonder if the plunger lever would interfere with the slide minus the plunger? I would pose this question in the Gunsmithing subforum. There are some great g'smiths that hang out there and could answer your question.

-1911Collector
Wish I would have thought of that.... I will repost the question in the gunsmithing forum.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 05-08-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
Rather than lifting the plunger, the lever would contact the solid area of the slide where it's supposed to be. The spacer to replace the levers is only a $5 part.
I actually have the part and am willing to that routen if necessary, but was hoping that the slide could be easily modified so I would not have to crack open the receiver. Would be my first time so I being overly cautious.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 05-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Banned

It's only about a five minute job during a detail strip.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:53 PM

Take the levers out of the frame and add this part and you're good to go;

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...AME_SLOT_BLANK
Old 05-08-2011, 10:03 PM

That's seems to be the inevitable conclusion, and since I am going to have to go into the frame I might as well replace the plastic trigger and MSH as well as some upgraded trigger components.

Since this is my first 1911 rebuild I will take things slow and ask a lot of questions either here or over on NWFA.

Thanks again Steve.

Andyh
Old 05-09-2011, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim1awh View Post
Wish I would have thought of that.... I will repost the question in the gunsmithing forum.

Thanks,

Andy
Your repost was deleted. Not your fault, but I really wish the members here would not tell others to cross-post, because it's against forum rules.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:30 PM

And all this time I didn't know this was a posted forum rule. My bad.

-1911Collector

"You have a pretty face. Do you speak Spanish? ...you have a face como un burro." Gru.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wichaka View Post
Take the levers out of the frame and add this part and you're good to go;

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...AME_SLOT_BLANK
I did not check his link but what he said.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Administrator

To answer the question, it would require machining to add the FP plunger hole as well as additional cuts to the slide to allow room for the lever. In other words, unless you're going to remove the FPS entirely it's really not a realistic idea.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:27 PM

Thanks all, It seems the easiest and most recommend course of action is to modify the frame by removing the saftey levers and addding the plate.

I have ordered one and will give it a try.

Thanks,

Andy