1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:55 AM

Kimber Custom Shop

Can someone please explain to me the "Kimber Custom Shop"? I have heard for many years that it does not exist and that it is a fabricated name. What is the difference between a Kimber Custom Shop vs a standard non-rollmarked Custom Shop Kimber? I dont want to start a fight or disrespect Kimber in any way, but I would like some clarification. I have owned and do own several Kimber Series I, II and Custom Shops.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-03-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckfever4life View Post
Can someone please explain to me the "Kimber Custom Shop"? I have heard for many years that it does not exist and that it is a fabricated name. What is the difference between a Kimber Custom Shop vs a standard non-rollmarked Custom Shop Kimber? I dont want to start a fight or disrespect Kimber in any way, but I would like some clarification. I have owned and do own several Kimber Series I, II and Custom Shops.

Thanks in advance
Hi Buckfever,

From Kimber's catalog, it said that several models are from the Kimber Custom Shop, namely -- the Raptors, Gold Match Combat, etc. The regular Gold Match barrels are noted to be oversized and also fitted in the " Custom Shop ".

From the same catalog, it also stated that if we want something ugraded on our regular Kimbers, we are advised to buy and then send those regular models to the " Custom Shop " for the upgrade work.

So based on Kimber's own catalog, my take is the custom shop does minimal upgrades using Kimber's own parts (which I like by the way). As to a real hardcore custom shop where frame modifications, slide modification, etc, etc, are done, I don't think Kimber do that.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:23 PM

Location: Land of mists and mellow fruitfulness...oh, and rain. Lots.
back around '98 - '03 the Custom Shop moniker was used to trial new ideas such as carry melts or 2 tone Kimpo finishes, or combine features on small runs, usually 1200- 2500 pistols, such as the Gold Guardian, Pro Elite, CDP's, Eclipse etc. They also offered a fairly comprehensive set of upgrades for Kimber owners, checkering, refinishing, sights and safeties etc

I can't recall if the CDP line or the Eclipse were the first limited run models to become regular line items bearing the Custom Shop logo. Now it's used on the side of many of their guns. I think they still offer upgrades to existing Kimber models. I don't think they are at all like the Springfield Custom Shop, which will build you a pistol from scratch, or do work on just about any competing brand, even Kimbers....

AFAIK the only guns that get special fitting are the Super matches and the new bull barreled Gold combats. I had an old Gold Combat and it didn't perform in any way better than my Classic Custom.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I can't recall if the CDP line or the Eclipse were the first limited run models to become regular line items bearing the Custom Shop logo.
Both were.

The Custom Shop also does mods to Kimbers like checkering, sights, etc.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:53 PM

From what I've been told, all Kimbers, both regular and "custom shop" all come from the same production line, which is a disappointment for me since I own a so called "custom shop" gun!

Whether this info is true or not, has yet to be proven....Only the truth will surface upon a trip to Yonkers, NY....Just my .02!

If I had it all to do over again, I would save the extra money spent for the logo, get a Custom TLE and buy ammo and mags with the savings...

Don't get me wrong, I love my CDP and am not giving it up!

“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Old 05-03-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post
From what I've been told, all Kimbers, both regular and "custom shop" all come from the same production line, which is a disappointment for me since I own a so called "custom shop" gun!
I'm pretty sure that Custom shop models receive extra attention during production - they do some hand fitting on certain components and I know that the triggers are typically better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post
Whether this info is true or not, has yet to be proven....Only the truth will surface upon a trip to Yonkers, NY....Just my .02!
I asked and was told that they don't let anyone visit the factory. I was in NY on Friday and would have gone by the factory. I'm told it is quite unimpressive.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:48 PM

I think the thought that Custom Shop Kimbers are made on the regular production line originated from a Kimber detractor. The literature clearly states that Custom Shop pistols are assembled in the Custom Shop. The parts they use are regular parts, but the actual assembly is done in the Custom Shop.

Yesterday,I looked at a Wilson Lightweight Carry that sells for $3,495.00. They are true custom pistol with each part custom fitted. One of the main advantages of MIM parts is that they are so precise in their manufacture that little, if any, custom fitting is needed. Does Wilson make a better pistol? The answer to that question is undoubtedly yes. Is it worth $2,000.00 more? For me the answer is no. I would rather have 3 pistols, in different configurations, for the money than 1.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:59 PM

Any ideas what exactly is done to the super match 2 in the "custom shop" if anything? There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there on this subject.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudarkshadowl View Post
Any ideas what exactly is done to the super match 2 in the "custom shop" if anything? There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there on this subject.
The Super Match has a hand fit barrel and bushing.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:32 PM

I guess it would be nice to know what "Custom Shop" means exactly on my Raptor II, but the truth is I just like the way it shoots and will continue to carry and shoot it. I will watch this thread though and learn what I can.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:04 AM

Thanks for all the replies
Old 05-04-2011, 05:57 PM

Having owned and sold a Kimber CDP pre series II, series II, EB Kobra Carry, Wilson Protector, Wilson CQB, I just bought another CDP Pro (pre series II) and I'll keep the difference in my wallet...

Old 05-04-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Having owned and sold a Kimber CDP pre series II, series II, EB Kobra Carry, Wilson Protector, Wilson CQB, I just bought another CDP Pro (pre series II) and I'll keep the difference in my wallet...
And that makes me wonder..... is the extra $1000 worth the extra "refinements" in the top end pistols? I'm sure there is a difference but $1000 worth? I have a pre-series II Gold Combat Stainless and I want to ask if i should save up another $1000 to get the big names? I am very happy with it but I wonder what the difference really is.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryh1108 View Post
And that makes me wonder..... is the extra $1000 worth the extra "refinements" in the top end pistols? I'm sure there is a difference but $1000 worth? I have a pre-series II Gold Combat Stainless and I want to ask if i should save up another $1000 to get the big names? I am very happy with it but I wonder what the difference really is.
I'm not bad mouthing the EB or Wilson.... great guns, when you could get one for $1600-$1800.... but $3000+, no way I'd pay it.... I'd rather spend that $3k on a Kimber Pre series II CDP, a Colt Series 70 Gold Cup, and a Colt 70 Series Govt Model....
Old 05-05-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberpro View Post
I'm not bad mouthing the EB or Wilson.... great guns, when you could get one for $1600-$1800.... but $3000+, no way I'd pay it.... I'd rather spend that $3k on a Kimber Pre series II CDP, a Colt Series 70 Gold Cup, and a Colt 70 Series Govt Model....
Be that as it may... I know what's on my belt... and I KNOW it will work if asked... and i own them all!!

Ruger MK III 22/45 VQ Custom,
Wilson Combat Bill Wilson Carry, S&W PC 1911
Old 05-05-2011, 08:11 PM

My Glock 19 has never jammed or failed in any way... can't say that about either of my two Wilson's or EB..... and I've owned more than 100 pistols....

Last edited by kimberpro; 05-05-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:12 PM

Just noticed you were in F'burg. Nice to see a fellow Kimber owner so close by.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:37 PM

That's what I am saying. You don't have to spend $2500 or $3000+ to buy a pistol you KNOW will work if needed. The refinements are nice but at what point do you stop paying for reliability and start paying for cosmetics and aestetics?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
That's what I am saying. You don't have to spend $2500 or $3000+ to buy a pistol you KNOW will work if needed. The refinements are nice but at what point do you stop paying for reliability and start paying for cosmetics and aestetics?
After looking at this link.... I have reconsidered my opinion on this topic... Wilson and Ed Brown semi custom pistols are reasonably priced WHEN compared to a "true" custom pistol built by Ted Yost.

http://www.heirloomprecision.com/forsale/pistols.shtml

Last edited by kimberpro; 05-06-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:51 PM

The Kimber Custom Shop is not a 'true' custom shop. The services offered have been available on production runs at one time or another. For example, the Ed Brown beaver tail installation option. This service was available because it was installed from Kimber on the authentic, original USMC Kimber issued pistols. Kimber's 'custom' work is nothing more than being able to modify your pistol on what can currently be CNC (hint) machined along with various current production. Custom fit barrels and bushings are 'cherry picked' by hand from standard parts bins to find the best fit. Hardly 'custom'. Kimber does offer stainless barrels, as opposed to carbon barrels, on their custom shop pistols. Why, I don't know. All of their barrels seem of good quality regardless of type. It seems to me that Kimber's 'Custom Shop' moniker also acts as a spring board for some new model entries. It makes marketing sense; make a small run of asthetically different pistols (from a current production standpoint) and analyze customer feedback and sales. Adding the title 'custom shop' and limiting production numbers adds a sense of being 'unique'. In the end, dollar for dollar, arguably the best Kimber's made are the cheapest and most widely available; Kimber Custom II series.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
My Glock 19 has never jammed or failed in any way... can't say that about either of my two Wilson's or EB..... and I've owned more than 100 pistols....

That happens when you shoot a Glock 19, they tend to make the "high end" suck in stark contrast.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:59 AM

Go on believing that.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
After looking at this link.... I have reconsidered my opinion on this topic... Wilson and Ed Brown semi custom pistols are reasonably priced WHEN compared to a "true" custom pistol built by Ted Yost.

http://www.heirloomprecision.com/forsale/pistols.shtml
I went on that site once and nearly had a heart attack. To me there is nothing you can do to a 1911 pistol to make it worth that kind of money. Barnum was right !
Old 05-26-2011, 04:39 AM

Kimber has been sold????

Can anyone confirm if Kimber was sold?? Or if it is for sale. I've been hearing the rumor for the last month. Check to see if anyone can confirm or is it just rumors...
If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government --and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
After having had 5 Kimbers and dealing with rust issues, poor quality of finish, fussiness over mag selection, they are all living else where now and after having 3 Brown's, I can tell you without a doubt it is worth the difference, You'd have to handle, shoot, break down a Brown to see what I mean, that's the only way to truly see the difference. No regrets here, my .02

The "custom" shop? also known as the Marketing Dept.

Last edited by Ticeman; 05-26-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Closed Thread