1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 04:28 PM

Are SIG 1911's the best kept secret?

Banging around in gunshops and on the internet for several months trying to decide on first 1911. Currently have a SIG P239, P226, and P220. Great guns have had no problems with any of them. Also, shoot a HK USP Compact which has been my carry and home defense goto. Springfield, Kimber, and Colt seem to get lots of attention.

Looking at SIG 1911 and I wonder why there is such a love - hate opinion on the SIG 1911 platform. It has been much harder to choose a 1911 than I ever expected. Like to go up to $1000-1400. How about some honest opinions on the SIG 1911 platform. Thanks
Old 04-22-2011, 05:40 PM

Works for me

Have three 1911s (Colt Combat Commander, Springfield Armory Loaded and a Sig Sauer XO). The Commander was purchased new in 1979, the Springfield in 2008 and the Sig this year. Was extremely impressed with the quality of the Sig and it has now became my "go to" gun for general use and local USPSA matches.

Recommend that you shoot as many different 1911s that you kind to find the one that fits your needs the best. Because bottom-line, the gun needs work for you and your decision to buy brand X or brand Z shouldn't be based solely upon some keyboard thoughts and opinions provided in an electronic forum.

WARNING ... Retired Opinionated Marine On-board ...

Find what works for you best and then keep'em in the black.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:53 PM

Got the SIG 1911 stainless (no rail)

Picked one up Saturday.....holiday weekend so I didn't get to take it to the range. I will hit the range a couple of times this coming weekend. Hope to run 200 to 300 rounds through it to start with. I really have had great results with my other SIGs so I went for it.

Last edited by irish2437; 04-26-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:48 PM

I can't speak to it's performance

As I said, i can't speak to it's performance, but I can speak to it's ergonomics, looks, and price point. The ergonomics are going to be almost like any other 1911 excluding if you racked the slide from the front (if there were serrations). Ergonomics - thumbs up. Looks are all opinion. It's going to get the basic 1911 template and change up the looks and make it have that TM Sig slide shelf deal. I think it looks raw. And that is a good thing. Some people would consider it a disgrace and say John Browning would roll in his grave if he saw this 1911, but hell, this is the 21st century and not many things 100 years old stick around. Do we still drive around in Fords first automobile? Nope, so I think JB would be proud of his creation and that companies put their own flare on his classic design. Looks - thumbs up. Price point is phenomenal. You're going to pay for a more or less base 1911 depending on what you get but for extreme quality craftmanship. Nuff said, its sig! Price point - thumbs up. I will only tell you what I think about how it would work. Probably flawlessly after break-in period. It's not a halfassed 1911 by any stretch of the imagination. The external extractor has proved itself in several 1911 platforms already. Best kept secret, maybe. But, some will say sig makes the best 1911's and others will stick to sig if they wanted some sort of combat pistol. It's justifiable either way. This gun is slick, has that super sweet sig sauer brushed stainless look and the nitron is pretty damn good lookin too. Other than the seemingly strange hammer, I have no complaints on how sig went about their 1911. Good gun, good feel, great price, almost guaranteed performance.
I'm the #1 theARMORYchannel fan. Trust me!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:57 AM

Took it to the range for its first run!!!!

The SIG 1911 Stainless ran like a top. There were no malfunctions at all. Smooth and frankly more accurate than I expected. A breeze to work with, both safeties worked perfectly, the SIG magazines performed with no problems. I know it is early in the break-in period but I'm excited. Put through 200 rounds of PMC, Magtech, and Aguila all of it 230 grain FMJ. Noticed that some of the PMC brass had a flattened area on one side not sure why(brass must of been less stout) but the other brass had very normal marks from the firing & cycle process. I'll test out some other types of ammo next time. I'm liking the SIG 1911 alot.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2437 View Post

Looking at SIG 1911 and I wonder why there is such a love - hate opinion on the SIG 1911 platform.
It's because that seem to run well, have the "SIG" mystic and are a bargain in some respects, but they're "butt ugly". I had a Blackwater for a house pistol and aside from the cheap controls it was G2G.. I kept it under the bed so as not to see it to much Ron
Old 05-08-2011, 10:19 AM

Recently purchased a Sig 1911 Tac Ops. I got a good deal on mine through a Sig dealer I know. Wasn't sure what to expect. Never have been a Sig guy. Now... I'm a Sig guy. I went from owning none to now 4, 5 if you count an exchange kit I have for my P250. Fit and finish is great. Mine came with 4 magazines, which is nice. Nice shooter, ate everything I fed it. We ran 400 round through it in under an hour on Friday while shooting it and the new Ruger SR1911. My only complaint it's heavy with a rail, or I should say it feels heavier than my other 1911's, probably because of the rail. I only notice it after I've shot one of my other 1911's. It's now my bug out gun. The new Nitron Carry I got is now in carry rotation so that should tell you about the quality of their product.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:33 AM

I bought a NEW Sig Target Nitron for under $800.

1) Right out of the box it shot great.
2) Love the black Nitron - it's a stainless gun and people don't know it. I love the rugged surface an the way oil kinda soaks into it. Shows no wear - unlike that silly microblasted stainless finish.
3) Accepts every off name and good name magazine
4) Kinda purdy and smooth
5) It's much lighter than my Colt rail gun - muzzle flip is more, but it doesn't bug me.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:35 PM

you need all them you can buy !! i have two and love them !!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
It's because that seem to run well, have the "SIG" mystic and are a bargain in some respects, but they're "butt ugly". I had a Blackwater for a house pistol and aside from the cheap controls it was G2G.. I kept it under the bed so as not to see it to much Ron
Why would you buy a gun if it's "butt ugly"? Keeping it under the bed makes no difference.

I don't buy ugly guns, I don't care if its for CC or what.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:49 AM

i guess i am not a traditional 1911 guy but i really like my 2 sigs.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:32 AM

Love mine:

Custom STX

Tac OP

US ARMY-'56 to '65-SFC
Happiness Is Having Been An Airborne Ranger And Still Being Alive To Brag About It!

Last edited by Dinky Dau Don; 05-12-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:06 PM

I really like the SIG slide profile myself. If I had the money I'd be in the market for a Tac-Ops or the like.

Still I'd also want one with a traditional slide profile.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:44 PM

Every brand lets a lemon slip through from time to time.
I think Sig 1911's are tremendous value. I've owned 3 different Carry models.
Mine were all ltd. production, Custom Shop issues. When I buy a Kimber it is a expensive Series I. If I buy a Springfield Armory it will be a TRP or Professional. If I buy a Colt, its going to a private custom shop for $400 to $1000. in extra's. Truthfully I believe Les Baer, Ed Brown, And Wilson Combat are TOTALLY worth saving your money and buying the best. BUT for less than $1000. you can buy a Sig 1911. Nitron, bright night sights, stainless frame and slide, beautifully machined, Slide champherd at frame, mild de-horn, magwell champhered, G.I guide rod set up, all common 1911 parts easily upgradeable, at least two magazines come with, and typical reliability and accuracy better than most.
Right now the Sig 1911 Carry in Nitron, for $830. on GB is, in my opinion THE
BEST value 1911 available. BTW, I disagree about them being ugly. I like the way they look.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:02 PM

I was gonna say, my Target 1911 is a beauty.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...et-nitron.aspx

Lousy picture. The mag hanging looks like a dude with black shoes and white socks! Like I said, Colt and other mags fit and work as well as the Sig ones.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:45 AM

just put a pair of grenade/punisher grips on the tac ops. really digging this gun.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:30 PM

I have two railed Sigs, one stainless and a TacPac Nitron railed.
They are both great guns.
There are over five hundred rounds through the stainless.
It is one of my favorite 1911s to shoot, all around steller performance.
Very accurate and runs without hiccups.
The Black Nitron only has about seventy five rounds through it and is not yet broken in.
All my 1911s have a different personality.
I really love the Sig Stainless, it makes me look like a good shot.
Sig 1911s are a great value in my opinion.
I do not have any really custom 1911s, with my best being a Kimber Royal ll.
The bottom rung on my 1911 ladder, is a Rock Island full sized Tactical.
It is really fun to shoot.
If I had to pick just one 1911 to have it would be a really hard choice as all mine shoot well and run without problems.
You cannot go wrong with the Sig 1911 platform.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:57 PM

The love/hate relationship stems from Sig Sauer's crappy customer service. I have had a few P226 and they were great.

Then bought a 1911 from them and they over cut the frame ramp, blamed me then checked their production line and found every 30th one had an overcut frame ramp.

I probably saved them thousands of complaints but they were real buttheads until they found they had a problem on their production line.

It was a though they just didn't want to admit they might have a problem.

So there's my 2 cents worth. I won't buy a 1911 sig.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2437 View Post
Banging around in gunshops and on the internet for several months trying to decide on first 1911. Currently have a SIG P239, P226, and P220. Great guns have had no problems with any of them. Also, shoot a HK USP Compact which has been my carry and home defense goto. Springfield, Kimber, and Colt seem to get lots of attention.

Looking at SIG 1911 and I wonder why there is such a love - hate opinion on the SIG 1911 platform. It has been much harder to choose a 1911 than I ever expected. Like to go up to $1000-1400. How about some honest opinions on the SIG 1911 platform. Thanks

Some like how they look, some don't like how they're made.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:29 PM

I caught flack from the 1911 Purists saying they were shaped funny and weren't true 1911s because of the external extractor. I told him we'll take it to the range and if I out-shoot him and his Colt he has to wear a Sig hat at the range everyday. He saw some videos I had and wont accept my challenge. *****!
Sig P229 .40
S&W Shield40 .40
Old 05-14-2014, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Closing zombie thread from 2011. Sorry fellas. Thems the rules.