1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Taurus

Old 04-19-2011, 08:23 PM

wilson combat on a pt1911?

hey guys, ive had alot of hand guns but i just picked up my first 1911 which has led me to this great site. my ? is will parts from wilson combat fit on the pt1911? i was mainly looking at a beavertail, mag release, and a bushing compensater. any info would be very helpful

Last edited by olds45512; 04-19-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds45512 View Post
hey guys, ive had alot of hand guns but i just picked up my first 1911 which has led me to this great site. my ? is will parts from wilson combat fit on the pt1911? i was mainly looking at a beavertail, mag release, and a bushing compensater. any info would be very helpful
Yes they will fit, but ANY aftermarket part will require fitting by a competent smith.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:09 PM

I put the Wilson Combat hammer and hammer strut/pin on mine and they dropped right in. I'm pretty sure the beavertail will drop right in too.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbubbs View Post
I put the Wilson Combat hammer and hammer strut/pin on mine and they dropped right in. I'm pretty sure the beavertail will drop right in too.
they may have dropped right in but I can guarantee the hammer is not fit correctly to the original MIM sear.

Anything can drop in ... EVERYTHING needs to be fit properly. especially ignition components.
NRA Life Member
Old 04-24-2011, 07:39 PM

I have a Wilson Combat hammer in my PT1911ALR, and it fit with very minimal stoning. As a note, the series 80 safety was deleted on my gun, which I believe helped.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDave1911 View Post
they may have dropped right in but I can guarantee the hammer is not fit correctly to the original MIM sear.

Anything can drop in ... EVERYTHING needs to be fit properly. especially ignition components.
So what would happen if I fire it, I've only run snap caps thru it
Old 04-25-2011, 09:56 PM

thanks for the info guys. i think i decided to leave it alone and spend the money on more ammo!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:36 PM

Hi olds,

I have a PT 1911 AL on the way.

This item is not on your list, but I have read that the Wilson Combat 47d magazine is a fine complement to the Taurus 1911.

Midway has them on sale for $28.49 each.

Regards,

Rob
Old 04-26-2011, 07:26 AM

JSubbs, any number of things may happen when you fire your weapon...

It could work fine.
It could suffer hammer drop.
It could not work.
It could go full auto.

Well, maybe not. If you've got a second 1911 to compare to, check and see if they look the same (assuming they're the same series... 70 or 80) or google some photos of the sear and disconnect and such.

For the OP, me personally, I wouldn't invest too much money into a PT1911. Spend it on magazines and ammo... if you're wanting a better barrel and bushing, I'd put them in a better weapon.

(Disclaimer: I'm biased against Taurus because my 1911 is a POS)
Old 05-10-2011, 02:42 PM

i have alot wilson parts in my pt, FP, (fit better than stock) series 80, extractor(minor work with a file, works great no prob) hammer+strut & pin, (no work with stock sear as it fit same as stock hammer, not till i replaced the sear for a C&S set did it need stoning) thumb safety, (needed ALOT of work, it will fit and did its job with the stock sear, but if you change the sear as i have, the safety post itself needs work and just for it to fit into the gun youll need to sand the main post. astheticly youll need to fit it as well) slide stop, (sanding again on the main post so itll even fit in the gun) and springs (which some were longer but fit fine and work GREAT) and barrel bushing, (GUNSMITH, QUALIFIED GUNSMITH, and just for ****s and giggles make sure they've done it before). along with other parts ive created a monster, IMO a 3000 gun for around 8-9 hundo. last thing i need to do is get everything finished or refinished and ill throw some pics up, but no idea when thats coming as she shoots like a champ.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:52 AM

(fit better than stock) series 80, extractor(minor work with a file, works great no prob)

hey man I just received an extractor from wilson combat for my pt1911 but it won't fit properly I thought about sending it back and just calling taurus to get another extractor if I can't make it work, what kind of adjustments did you make on your to make it fit right, it looks like the extractor fits loose and the push down spring pin will not stay in place... it comes out after replacing the extractor and placing the retaining plate back on the slide. Any help will be really appreciated
Old 09-27-2012, 12:11 PM

The stock pt extractor is a proprietary Taurus part.
Some extractors fit and retain the series 80 plunger, some don't.
I installed a Caspian ss, and it retains the plunger, but that is no guarantee.
Return the Wilson, send Taurus your (presumably) broken extractor and they should send you a stock part.
Call them first to make sure, and ask them to send you a pre paid envelope to ship it in ( good luck).
Fitting parts can be done on your kitchen table, but most parts really should be fitted by a qualified gunsmith.

Last edited by j bird; 09-27-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j bird View Post
The stock pt extractor is a proprietary Taurus part.
Some extractors fit and retain the series 80 plunger, some don't.
I installed a Caspian ss, and it retains the plunger, but that is no guarantee.
Return the Wilson, send Taurus your (presumably) broken extractor and they should send you a stock part.
Call them first to make sure, and ask them to send you a pre paid envelope to ship it in ( good luck).
Fitting parts can be done on your kitchen table, but most parts really should be fitted by a qualified gunsmith.
+1 to everything here. I've been using an Ed Brown extractor with no problems. It was smith-installed with a lot of other things though, so it may have needed fitting without my knowing about it.

Also as far as the beavertail, the Taurus already has one. Is there something wrong with it? If not, there's really no reason to go Wilson for that particular part. Mag release I can sort of understand if it's to go with a different size, but also doesn't seem necessary to me. Just my 2 cents.

Colt 45: The Single Action Army, the M1911, and a liquor
Quote:
Originally Posted by treesloth View Post
Either way, if someone needs to get/be wasted, there's a Colt 45 for the job!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Banned

Parts, parts, parts

Some folks are not gonna leave well enough alone. Sometimes I am one of them and sometimes not. If you decide to change some parts, have a gs do it. The next owner will thank you.

The first thing folks want to get rid of on a Taurus is the ugly lawyer lock hammer. I do not blame them as I got rid of three myself. I shot the guns first. When you ditch the hammer, ditch the sear and disco at the same time. Trust me on this cause I ain't writing any novels tonight. There is no reason to change the grip safety. Spend that money on a new hammer strut. The Taurus hammer strut has a little kink in it cause of the lawyer lock hammer. When you ditch the hammer you do not need that kink.

Only buy a new Taurus. The kitchen table has been involved with too many used ones. Now if you have been around the 1911 for a long time, and I do not mean on you tube, you might know how to shop used 1911s and can ignore the previous remark.

Someone once said something to the effect that a 1911 is somewhat complex in its simplicity. When parts start getting swapped, there is always the danger of something called tolerance stack. Right, not gonna write a novel on that either. There is good luck, bad luck and unsafe. An experienced gs knows how to see this and correct it, before you are embarrassed in the company of witnesses or dialing 911.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:31 AM

...just ask the former SiGARMS what happens when you collect all the "best" made parts and try to assemble all these different parts into your gun...they sometimes didn't play well with each other in the sandbox...

I haven't changed anything but the recoil spring so far in my Taurus...mine is 100% when I do what I'm supposed to do...

Bill
Old 09-29-2012, 05:16 AM
Banned

This thread is currently running on the gs and ts sub forum.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=384366
Old 09-29-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversport View Post
...just ask the former SiGARMS what happens when you collect all the "best" made parts and try to assemble all these different parts into your gun...they sometimes didn't play well with each other in the sandbox...

I haven't changed anything but the recoil spring so far in my Taurus...mine is 100% when I do what I'm supposed to do...

Bill
I need to add that I did change the slide stop with a Colt part I had that had some custom polishing done to it for no apparent reason other than it looked nicer than the Taurus part...full discloser, I thought I was having an issue that turned out to be my thumb touching the ambi safety (thumb safety) while shooting and pushing up enough under recoil to cause some slide issues...it was me but I never changed the slide stop back...

Bill