1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 04-09-2011, 10:06 AM

Sig Tac Ops vs Springfield Loaded

I have had a SA Loaded for about two years. A couple weeks ago, I got a new Sig Tac Ops. I haven't had it to the range, but here are some initial comparisons:

SA Loaded
Price I paid: $975
Barrel: SS
Checkering: NA
Xnd Mag well: NA
Mag: 2-7 rnd service (blued) Cheapo!
Rail: NA
Frame/Slide: Steel Parkeried
NovakNight sights: Yes
Extended slide stop: NA
Xtnd mag release: NA
Manufactured: Brazil

Sig Tac Ops
Price I paid: $975
Barrel: SS Bull Match Grade
Checkering: Front & Backstrap 25 LPI
Xnd Mag well: Yes
Mag: 4-8 rnd stainless
Rail: Yes
Frame/Slide: Stainless Steel Nitron black finish
NovakNight sights : Yes
Extended slide stop: Yes
Xtnd mag release: Yes
Manufactured : USA!!!!!!

Again, I'll have to see how it shoots, but on paper, The Sig Tac ops is a hell of a better deal!! I also like the safety profile and operation on the Tac Ops much better--it positively clicks on and off w/o any slop (my Loaded does have slop). It is also narrower than the Loaded and feels better on the thumb (I shoot with straight thumbs and right thumb resting on the safety)

Another thing, I had problems with my SA feeding HP ammo. I had to send it back to Springfield and the polished the feed ramp and barrel throat (before you could see mill marks on the ramp). I still had problems and needed to replace the recoil spring with a heavier one from Wolff. The Tac Ops came with the ramp and barrel throat polished to a mirror like finish.

Also, the Tac Ops has much cleaner machined parts (e.g. slide stop). The barrel link is beefier and the slide to frame fit is tighter. Overall the pistol seems heavier duty.

So far VERY happy with my purchase. It's seems more comparable to the SA TRP for about 60% of the cost! Of course what really matters is how she shoots!!

Last edited by MNGunner; 04-09-2011 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-09-2011, 10:57 AM

i just bought a tac ops 4.2" threaded barrel but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. been more concerned with stocking up on ammo than hitting the range. hopefully next weekend. i'll post again after i hit the range.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teefus View Post
i just bought a tac ops 4.2" threaded barrel but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. been more concerned with stocking up on ammo than hitting the range. hopefully next weekend. i'll post again after i hit the range.
I didn't realize they made a Commander sized Tac Ops 1911. Sweet!! Let me know how it works at the range!
Old 04-09-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNGunner View Post
I didn't realize they made a Commander sized Tac Ops 1911. Sweet!! Let me know how it works at the range!
i'll give a range report soon (hopefully). fwiw, i don't think they make the 4" any more. it was pretty hard to find on gunbroker.com. there were only 2 and they weren't cheap. i think you can get the 5" and 5" threaded barrel models only now.
this is what mine looks like:
Old 04-11-2011, 11:18 AM

Regarding the op: I think the Sig guns are all a better buy than the SA Loaded at that price point. I have seen Loadeds at much lower prices and owned a Loaded myself several years ago. It didn't run well (that's being polite) so I sold it. The TacOps compares favorably with the TRP for several hundred less. ( ps I don't think your gun has a Bull Barrel unless there has been a big change recently)

There were three commander sized TacOps with the threaded barrel at the Valley Forge gunshow two weeks ago. Each seller had them marked "only one at show" and were asking approx 1300 for them.

Last edited by dj528; 04-11-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:02 PM

the only reason i mentioned it seemed to be discontinued is that the 4" threaded barrel version does not appear on sig's website any more.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:31 PM

Very cool!! I hadn't seen one of those before. Sadly, I still need to get mine out to the range.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:48 PM

They may very well be discontinued but I wanted people to know they can be found (at outrageous prices)
Old 04-12-2011, 01:02 PM

i saw another one on gunbroker today from the same dealer mine came from. osage county guns in missouri.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj528 View Post
They may very well be discontinued but I wanted people to know they can be found (at outrageous prices)
The Commander length Tac Ops were never a catalog item; Sig quietly made a small runs of them and they got snapped up pretty fast by dealers and distributors. Which explains some of the over the top pricing that we have seen on them.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:54 PM

finally got to take the tac ops to the range today. 250 rds of federal fmj's through it with no problems. ran a few rounds through the platinum carry too.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:13 PM

The SIG is certainly the better bargain, if that's what you want and like. I don't think there's any question.. Cheers.. Ron
Old 04-15-2011, 04:00 PM

If it were me, and that was true about the gun being a very limited run, I'd shoot it sparingly and make sure it stays in great shape. You never know what it could be worth some day. That's what I'm doing with my blackwater anyway.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:36 PM

i didn't know it was limited availability when i bought it. i bought it to shoot, not collect though.