1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 04-05-2011, 08:24 AM

Colt Series 80 Adjustable Trigger Installation Note

When installing an adjustable match or set trigger in a Colt Series 80 model handgun with the Series 80 safety system, it's important to note the follow limitation:

When adjusting the set screw of an adjustable trigger on a series 80 pistol, you cannot set the travel to minimum as you would with a non series 80 pistol.

The Series 80 safety system requires a minimum amount of trigger travel for the mechanism to allow the firing pin block to move out of the way of the firing pin.

If you set the adjustable trigger for a minimum travel distance, and the Series 80 parts do not get the required amount of travel, then light firing pin strikes will happen as the firing pin travel will be impeded by the partially lifted firing pin block.

The cure, and correct installation method, is to set the adjustable trigger so that the lever on top of the frame next to the hammer is lifted to full travel by the trigger pull. You can easily see this by removing the slide, and then pulling the trigger and observing how far the safety level lifts out of the frame. If the lever rises to full travel, then you have set the adjustable trigger correctly for your Colt Series 80 handgun.

Ignore above. The correct fix is as described below to adjust the timing. Thanks again to LOG and others.

Last edited by Texasflyboy; 04-05-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:47 AM

Your advice is good for box stock pistols, and should always be kept in mind.

However, if the safety system is timed correctly, with all of the slack removed, the firing pin is freed by the the trigger pre-travel. In that case the over travel can be set as in any other pistol.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
the firing pin is freed by the the trigger pre-travel
I must be one of the lucky ones, as my stock S-80 Commander has a little less than 1/16" take up, which totally raises the lever, and then breaks crisply at 4.75 lbs (as measured on a Lyman digital), with no perceivable over travel.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:26 AM
1911 Aficionado

When I installed an overtravel screw-equipped trigger in my S80, the firing pin was clear before I got to the point where the sear was clear. I tested the firing pin for free movement, every 1/4 turn of the trigger screw, and was surprised how early in the process it cleared. I was expecting to have to accept more overtravel than I may have wanted, to accomodate S80. Just like the trigger adjustment itself, each gun is going to be a bit different.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:29 AM

I saw this this morning and let it go as it is true perhaps for a stock Series 80 , but as Bob mentions it isn't the last word. Using over travel to release the firing pin block works, but can be risky, a light intended pull may result in a light strike.
I cock the hammer and engage the thumb safety, now pull the trigger against the safety and check to see if the firing pin is free, I tune them so they are.

The first easy stage of tuning is to use the "N" plunger lever, that is the upper one, and provides the most lift, these are often designated as for the Gold Cups, that's the one you want, about $3. If that still doesn't improve the timing enough I weld a bump on the bottom of the trigger bar lever where it contacts the trigger bow. Then fit it. Just right when the slide will still just go on. You will notice a vast improvement as the softest touch will begin the plunger depression, and the over travel adjustment will not affect the timing.

LOG

Last edited by log man; 04-05-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
The first easy stage of tuning is to use the "N" plunger lever, that is the upper one, and provides the most lift, these are often designated as for the Gold Cups, that's the one you want, about $3. If that still doesn't improve the timing enough I weld a bump on the bottom of the trigger bar lever where it contacts the trigger bow. Then fit it. Just right when the slide will still just go on. You will notice a vast improvement as the softest touch will begin the plunger depression, and the over travel adjustment will not affect the timing.LOG
Can you say that again in more detail? What is the "N" plunger lever? I want to try this but want to be sure I understand the process. I initially thought to modify the trigger bow to take up the slack and improve the timing, but I like your idea better.

Last edited by Texasflyboy; 04-05-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasflyboy View Post
Can you say that again in more detail? What is the "N" plunger lever? I want to try this but want to be sure I understand the process. I initially thought to modify the trigger bow to take up the slack and improve the timing, but I like your idea better.
The only thing that could be done to the bow would be a build up only where the trigger bar lever contacts. The point being that to affect timing the hammer release point must be after the firing pin block release and is probably your thought as well. Using the "N" plunger lever will get most in tune alone, and welding will get the rest, "N" lever or not. Here's a "1" plunger lever and the welded trigger bar lever. It was just welded for a friend in the picture, it gets flushed on the sides, and polished on the contact point.

More about the "N" plunger lever, the Gold Cup had an adjustable trigger and the previous levers did not provide enough lift if the trigger was adjusted for little over travel so a lever was made that lifts more/sooner and is marked N. Others where 1, 2, and 3, I believe. but are all less lift than the N. It isn't identified by the N, but this is the N lever.

LOG

Last edited by log man; 04-05-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
The only thing that could be done to the bow would be a build up only where the trigger bar lever contacts.
Got it. I just got off the phone with Teddy Jacobson. He gave me the run down on the levers which is exactly what you posted.

He seems to have cornered the market on "N" levers.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Texasflyboy; 04-06-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
The first easy stage of tuning is to use the "N" plunger lever, that is the upper one, and provides the most lift, these are often designated as for the Gold Cups, that's the one you want, about $3.
Teddy wants about $25 each for his "N" levers. Anyone got another source for this $3 part?

Teddy says he bought all Colt had before they stopped making the part.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:14 PM

Funny.... the link to Midway in Log's post says "available"
Old 04-05-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssn vet View Post
Funny.... the link to Midway in Log's post says "available"
Darn. Didn't see that. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasflyboy View Post
Teddy wants about $25 each for his "N" levers. Anyone got another source for this $3 part?

Teddy says he bought all Colt had before they stopped making the part.
Teddy has to make money I guess, but $25 from a $3 part available to anyone is a stretch in fair practice, rumored he will tell you they are not available in stores, and correct, not Home Depot anyway, but Midway is a good source for Colt parts. Colt is still using them as they still make Series 80 1911's.

LOG

Old 04-05-2011, 03:03 PM

Cylinder and Slide used to have them also. I bought a "NM" lever several years ago...$5.00..maybe... I can't remember.

Nice work and picture Log man.

That modified trigger bar lever would be a great part if offered. No welding, just filing for us "hacks".
Old 04-05-2011, 03:05 PM

I think I read the $25 ones are jeweled.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishlad View Post
Cylinder and Slide used to have them also. I bought a "NM" lever several years ago...$5.00..maybe... I can't remember.

Nice work and picture Log man.

That modified trigger bar lever would be a great part if offered. No welding, just filing for us "hacks".
I guess no one wants to have them cut for the possible numbers sold. Welding them is not a big deal, and works well. The "N" lever will solve most. Jeweled/bumped with a polish pad on a Dremel. I slide them around on 2000 paper.

LOG