1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 03-31-2011, 11:35 AM

Safari Arms?

After browsing around and searching on Safari I'm still unsure of what to think on them. I got offered one in trade and had some questions (I did email the guy and asked but always good to double check things!!!) Did Safari ever sell a gun factory with a threaded barrel? And with the pics the guy got me- poor cell phone working on getting some better ones- any ideas what model this is/was and possible value?

Last edited by chakup; 03-31-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:13 PM

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=37

It's prolly a Matchmaster. Years ago when IPSC was just starting up, I was really enthralled with the lines and the ergonomics of the old Safari Arms products, but their reputation for spotty quality kept me shy.

I'm glad I never bit. I don't see any advantage to the grip or trigger guard modification after all these years of shooting. And the extended slide stop is of no value at all; after some testing I gave up on that idea--I kept locking it open inadvertantly. Besides, it's nothin' the L thumb can't handle.

I love those pictures. It's fortunate there's a 2nd picture there to confirm your observation that the barrel is threaded...

Last edited by moredes15; 04-01-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:24 PM

Oh yeah the pictures are high quality .....lol. reviews are def hit and miss, if I decide to bite any specific things to watch for with the Safaris? (Reading linked thread now.)
Old 03-31-2011, 12:25 PM

Nvm, link is to reply here. Lol
Old 03-31-2011, 01:35 PM

Location: Indiana, hope to retire to Alaska. My wife wants to retire to Belize.
I have a couple Safari Arms pistols with that same frame.

The trigger guard with the hook is not anything that I find useful.

But the finger groove in the frame ACTUALLY MAKES THE GUN MORE CONTROLLABLE and easier to shoot accurate follow up shots.

The two I have are the Matchmaster (full size) and the Enforcer (officer size) frames. Great guns. Absolutely dead accurate. And, as I stated, the frame shape with the integrated finger groove really is not a gimmick, everyone who has shot one of those guns has been impressed with how useful that finger groove really is for keeping the gun under control during strings of fire.

St Gabriel Possenti Patron Saint of Handgunners
Father John Corapi, "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!"
Old 04-01-2011, 01:04 AM

Sorry... I dunno how I kludged it up, but I corrected the erroneous link so's it references the Oly Arms website.

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=37
Old 06-21-2011, 06:46 PM

I have a Westerner model from them and everyone's that shot it says it's the most accurate 1911 they have fired. Not bad for a custom gun I paid less than $900 for.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:27 PM

I bought a new Matchmaster years ago from them and it is not bad. Even the rather odd frame fits my hand O.K. I plan on keeping it in my shooty collection.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:45 PM

I have an Olympic Arms longslide that I bought in '04. It's a two tone Matchmaster that they call 'Big Deuce'. It has been a great shooter. No issues at all. No firing pin safety. Lifetime warranty.

Tomcatt
NRA Life Member