1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 03-30-2011, 11:41 AM

Newbie with Mil-Spec

Hello folks,

Newbie here with Mil-Spec on order. As a general gun nut, I've always wanted a 1911 without breaking the bank account. After reading a lot of reviews, I decided to go with the Mil-Spec, and it's arriving next week. I would appreciate any advice you might have for the new toy. Also, I was checking on ammo and noticed that Walmart sells this Tula-Russian stuff for about $15/box. It's 230gr FMJ with a steel case. Any good?

Thanks, John
Old 03-30-2011, 11:51 AM

Never used the Tula ammo, but others have with no reported issues.

Suggest you check the trigger pull when you get it, as its not unusual to have it arrive with an out-of-spec value. Should be 5-6lbs. Mine was 8lbs+ and SA took care of it.

Good shooting!
Old 03-30-2011, 04:04 PM

I've shot the steel cased Tula with no problems ...
Old 03-30-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs44 View Post
Hello folks,

Newbie here with Mil-Spec on order. As a general gun nut, I've always wanted a 1911 without breaking the bank account. After reading a lot of reviews, I decided to go with the Mil-Spec, and it's arriving next week. I would appreciate any advice you might have for the new toy. Also, I was checking on ammo and noticed that Walmart sells this Tula-Russian stuff for about $15/box. It's 230gr FMJ with a steel case. Any good?

Thanks, John
Welcome, your mil-spec should run just about anything you feed it. All my Springfields run like sowing machines no matter what ammo they get fed.

Make sure to break it down, clean out the factory grease and lube it up wet for the first few hundred rounds and you will be all set.

WELCOME to the forum bud!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs44 View Post
...I was checking on ammo and noticed that Walmart sells this Tula-Russian stuff for about $15/box. It's 230gr FMJ with a steel case. Any good?
I shot a few boxes out of my Mil Spec and had zero issues with it. But the steel cases give me pause in using it routinely.

Congrats on getting a Mil Spec! It should serve you well for life.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:49 PM

MY GI has chewed up everything I fed it so far, you should be fine. Enjoy..

Never Forget 9/11/01
Old 03-31-2011, 11:37 AM

Another inexpensive ammo to check out is the aluminum-cased CCI stuff. A few months ago I found it online for $300/1K.

I've yet to find an ammo or magazine that my SA 1911's won't run just fine with.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:37 PM

If you aren't totally satisfied with this gun, call Springfield and they will take care of it. A common problem, as stated, is out-of-spec trigger pull (i.e. heavy). Mine also had feeding problems. If you encounter either, send it back and Springfield will turn this into the gun you wanted.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:45 PM

I've shot plenty of Tulammo that I bought from Walmart (only because they were always out of the WWB) and i've never ran into any issues with them. For reference, I shot the Tulammo with my previously owned XD .40 and 1911 .45.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:37 PM

It's pretty dirty ammo, not corrosive, but dirty and out of 100 rnds. I only had one failure to fire. Other than that it serves it's purpose.