1911Forum banner

New Cerakote Color and my second full build...

18K views 41 replies 31 participants last post by  Greg in MI 
#1 ·
For starters... thanks to everybody on the site who positively contributes information so kindly, I need all the help I can get. :) Thanks also to Booty for allowing me to debut his new Cerakote color, Burnt Bronze and taking a chance that I might mess up and actually come out with something properly painted!

Anyhow, on to the important stuff... I welcome all feedback, positive and negative... if it's too negative... a PM may be better though. :eek:

Fusion frame and slide
Nowlin 9mm ramped barrel and bushing
EGW Hard Sear with Doug Konig hammer
EGW thumb safety and slide stop
EGW extractor and extended ejector
EGW short radius firing pin stop
Ed Brown on everything else.
Kensight Bomar rear sight and FO front sight

Color is Cerakote's Burnt Bronze slide and frame with Graphite Black small parts, over manganese phosphate parkerizing (again, thanks Booty!)

See less See more
#6 ·
wow, you did a great job on a very original looking pistol. I like the different color and the mods look perfect. Using leather for the background tops it off well too. How long did that project take, if you don't mind me asking?

#7 ·
Wow. Thats a great looking 9mm. I luv it. Great job. U did an excellent job at makin my drooling dilema arise. Lol. My wife thx u. Lol. Jk. But seriously. U did a fantastic job. The builders did great work n im jealous its not in my holster lol

#30 · (Edited)
Just one builder, just me. :D Thanks!

wow, you did a great job on a very original looking pistol. I like the different color and the mods look perfect. Using leather for the background tops it off well too. How long did that project take, if you don't mind me asking?
Oiy... too long! Start to finish, probably 5, maybe 6 months? It was a learning process, the 9mm wasn't nearly as forgiving as the .45 I had previously built... thankfully, all these guys here on the forum that know more that I'll ever know steered me in the correct direction.

I keep looking at the pics and the wood brings it all together. Care to send me some!:biglaugh:
lol... well, that particular set is going to a very good friend of mine that graduates the police academy Saturday... I doubt you'll be able to pry them away from him, he's been wanting some for quite a while! Maybe one day when I fire the saw dust maker up. ;) I do have some scales I could send ya though! Heck, if you're around Colorado Springs, I'll even hand deliver them to you at the end of the month.

"We're not worthy, we're not worthy! We're scum! We suck!"

This. Simply stunning.

How's she shoot?
Really well actually! We even shot USPSA with it last weekend (before it was painted of course) and it ate everything we threw at it. Even duty ammo. I was very pleased.

It did take a lot of tuning to get it to function with the reloads though, they weren't strong enough to cycle the slide to where the spent case would hit the ejector... but then my mentor pointed out the the top of the ejector was dragging on the slide a hair, we corrected that, then a slight interference with the hammer strut and grip safety, and it runs like a champ.

Love it, the color is perfect, and will make a great compliment to my hearing aids. Nothing like coordinating accessories! :biglaugh:
LOG Huh?
hey, your watch is upside down Log! Don't tell me you're losing it!

Where can I get that color for my own projects?
Best bet would be to contact Booty here, or just call up NIC industries. The color is Burnt Bronze (forgive me, I don't have the actual product number).

NIC's contact information...

Very Nice ! I always and still do want a 9mm 1911... Was that a kit from fusion or did you do all the machining work yourself ?
Busted! :) Well, sort of... the slide and frame were ordered and specified that I wanted them over-sized, however they came pre-fit. The fit was... okay... so I didn't make an issue of it, it wasn't that big of a deal. Other than that, everything else (with the exception of the front strap checkering) was done by me under the watchful eye of somebody who knows infinitely more than I do. I won't use the Fusion again... however NOT because of any sort of issue I had with it, but rather for the simple reason that my mentor prefers to use Caspian... again, there's nothing I found that is wrong with the Fusion's though.

So Butters, you building guns to sell now or is this in the personal collection?
No, my FFL isn't finished yet, I still have a bit to go, and with the extra work load I've gotten from the PD, I just haven't been able to devote the amount of time that would be necessary to do so. Having said that... I also cannot really afford to buy parts and build several guns in order to learn a fraction of what these guys do, so I am sure that at some point, some fellow USPSA or steel challenge shooter will end up with this one (I spend a lot of time at competitions). I've already had several want it, but I think for now, my better half will use it to get use to the 1911 platform, and I think steel challenge will be a lot of fun with it when it warms up (steel challenge is my preferred competition).

For now though, I've got a couple frames, one with a slide and barrel I've already fit to work with, but I'm sure once I get to about the fourth or fifth, it will be time to sale this one or my Nighthawk to finance another one. Or better yet, my FFL will be done and somebody else will finance it! Also by that time, I also hope to be able to take the Rodger's Pistolsmithing class... that is, if he'll take me!

One thing is for sure, I don't see how guys make money building pistols! I wouldn't even want to venture a guess as to how many hours I have in that (granted much of it was me learning, but still).

If I sold it, I might make........

"tree-fiddy"

#19 ·
The color is great...really catches the eye without being too blatant. As one of the above posters commented, I like it better than a lot of the "Desert Tan" stuff that's flooding the market. Nice work.

Also kudos on those black walnut grips...they look great. However, with the graphite black on all the small parts already, I think the basic black grips "work" better on this particular gun.

If you decide after a while you really just don't like the color, my address is...:biglaugh:

#21 ·
Love it, the color is perfect, and will make a great compliment to my hearing aids. Nothing like coordinating accessories! :biglaugh:

LOG Huh?

#24 ·
You should be very proud of yourself, that is a great job!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.