Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense

View Poll Results: Trigger pull for self defense
2 lbs 18 19.35%
3 lbs 16 17.20%
4 lbs 43 46.24%
5 lbs 16 17.20%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2011, 05:46 PM

how much is too light for a Self defense trigger?

I recently acquired a used Taurus 1911.

I love the pistol and can't wait to go shoot it again.

but I have had thoughts about carrying it (I'm against low round count pistols for self defense) but it's just such a badass pistol, I just might one of these days LOL

thing is, I'm almost positive (or it's been broken in nicely) and the trigger is very light. someone looked at it and said that was about 2.5 lbs on the trigger and recommended that I don't carry it for self defense.

was talking to one of your SWAT sgts today (they carry Kimber Warriors) and he recommended that I don't carry it for self defense because that's too light of a trigger for that purpose. he recommended min of 5 lbs for self defense.

what do you guys think?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:55 PM

4 lbs will be a popular answer, it feels right to me. Not too heavy, not too light.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:06 PM

now, mine is at around 2-3 apparently...

can I get it to 4?

I know you can reduce it, but I don't know if you can add resistance?

I'm not sure how people change trigger pull resistance so...
Old 03-28-2011, 06:07 PM

I personally like 4.5 (Voted 4)

I personally think 2.5 is too light, and wouldn't operate a gun save maybe long range target at such a light weight.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:15 PM

Did we all get this poll wrong?

The question was "how much is too light for a self defense trigger".....yet almost everyone voted 4lbs. I voted 3 because I feel 4 is just about right. Do you all really think 4lbs is too light?
Old 03-28-2011, 06:16 PM

taseal,

Find someone with a good trigger pull gauge. Most folks can't tell what the trigger pull is just by feeling it, they can guess, but that's really just a guess. Case in point, I have a Smith and Wesson 629 .44 magnum with one of the sweetest single action triggers you can imagine. I often, just to play with folks, ask people to guess what the pull weight is. "Oh, can't be more than 2 pounds, that thing is LIGHT" Pull out the trigger scale, pull measures 4 lbs exactly. Every time. Confirmed with other trigger pull scales.

I'd guess yours is probably not as light as you and others think it is. Measure it.

That being said, 5 lbs vs. 3.5 lbs. won't make a lick of difference in a self defense situation when you are jacked up on adrenaline. Like 5 lbs. won't go off before you're ready or something. That's hogwash. A 20 lb. trigger will feel light after your body flushes itself with chemicals. If you put your finger on the trigger, you damn well better be ready to shoot whatever it is you're aiming at. If you're not, don't put your finger on the trigger. Having a 5 lb. trigger isn't going to stop the gun from going off if you press the trigger under stress before you're ready to shoot. This is a software issue, not a hardware issue.
Colt New Agent, TRADED
Springfield Gov't custom mystery gun
Old 03-28-2011, 07:05 PM

I prefer 3.0 to 3.5 pounds on my triggers. I REMEMBER to keep my finger OFF the trigger until I need to fire the pistol.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
The question was "how much is too light for a self defense trigger".....yet almost everyone voted 4lbs. I voted 3 because I feel 4 is just about right. Do you all really think 4lbs is too light?
Zactly.

I voted 2 pounds. 4 is ideal to me, but I see nothing wrong with 3.

2 is too light.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown77 View Post
taseal,

Find someone with a good trigger pull gauge. Most folks can't tell what the trigger pull is just by feeling it, they can guess, but that's really just a guess. Case in point, I have a Smith and Wesson 629 .44 magnum with one of the sweetest single action triggers you can imagine. I often, just to play with folks, ask people to guess what the pull weight is. "Oh, can't be more than 2 pounds, that thing is LIGHT" Pull out the trigger scale, pull measures 4 lbs exactly. Every time. Confirmed with other trigger pull scales.

I'd guess yours is probably not as light as you and others think it is. Measure it.

That being said, 5 lbs vs. 3.5 lbs. won't make a lick of difference in a self defense situation when you are jacked up on adrenaline. Like 5 lbs. won't go off before you're ready or something. That's hogwash. A 20 lb. trigger will feel light after your body flushes itself with chemicals. If you put your finger on the trigger, you damn well better be ready to shoot whatever it is you're aiming at. If you're not, don't put your finger on the trigger. Having a 5 lb. trigger isn't going to stop the gun from going off if you press the trigger under stress before you're ready to shoot. This is a software issue, not a hardware issue.
That's what I was going to say in my next post, but you hit it on the nail.

During the heat of a gunfight, that trigger might as well be 50 lbs, you're still going to pull it.

my finger doesn't go in there until I'm ready to pull the trigger. after that, it can be 2 lbs, or 12 lbs.

makes no diff to me

I still don't understand how people with lots of experience tell me min is around 4-5 lbs though.

not like because it's a light trigger, it's going off on it's own with heavy winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
There were two subjects.. The original question of "how much is too light" and then the subject of the poll was "Trigger pull for self defense".. I thought the same thing, but went with the poll question. 4-4 1/2 lbs is the preffered carry trigger for most.. Ron
Old 03-28-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dcoe View Post
Zactly.

I voted 2 pounds. 4 is ideal to me, but I see nothing wrong with 3.

2 is too light.

Joe
you voted 2, but 2 is too light?
Old 03-28-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taseal View Post
you voted 2, but 2 is too light?
Is there some part of

Quote:
how much is too light for a Self defense trigger?
you don't understand?

Joe
Old 03-28-2011, 08:17 PM

that's what I thought the poll was. what is TOO light of a trigger pull for self defense. not what trigger pull is your preference. Really in theory, does it matter since your finger isn't to be on the trigger until you are ready to make it go bang?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadX View Post
that's what I thought the poll was. what is TOO light of a trigger pull for self defense. not what trigger pull is your preference. Really in theory, does it matter since your finger isn't to be on the trigger until you are ready to make it go bang?
It matters to me both in theory and in practice. Mine are 4 to 4.5 lbs. That is what I practice with and what I carry. In a SD situation with adreneline flowing I don't want a shaking finger to fire off a round before intended.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:57 PM

I'd rather have a really smooooth, rolling trigger that broke at 5 Lbs. than a gritty, hitchy 2 Lbs. trigger; I don't care what the intended application is.

But that's me.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:12 PM

I'd think you just don't want it so light that the weight of the actual trigger would overcome the pull weight required to work it. Meaning if you dropped it you wouldn't want it to pull it's own trigger.

I don't think a hair trigger matters. If your finger is on the trigger at all you need to be shooting. If you are expecting a pound or two of weight to somehow keep you from accidentally shooting someone then you really need to go back to the basics and get your finger off the trigger.

I want a smooth trigger pull. The weight is secondary.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
There were two subjects.. The original question of "how much is too light" and then the subject of the poll was "Trigger pull for self defense".. I thought the same thing, but went with the poll question. 4-4 1/2 lbs is the preffered carry trigger for most.. Ron
+"4"

If you're scared, you can get in my pocket.
Medicated for your safety.
The Constitution is my Caeser - Kent Kelly
Old 03-28-2011, 09:20 PM

In my opinion anything below 3-1/2lbs on a carry is inviting liability to your door. Then again 3-1/2 just happens to be my personal preference on all my triggers except my duty arms. (5-7lbs). Food 4 thought- its not the trigger that makes the gun go bang-its the finger which pulls the trigger. How much does that weigh? Just my.02˘
S/A 1911-A1 "Ultra Compact" {Load'd & Mod'd}-S/A 1911-A1 MilSpec {Mod'd}-S/A XD.40s&w (Svc), Glock-19&21, S&W Model 41&22-A, Beretta .22, S&W M&P .223&15-22, Savage 10FCE .308, Mossberg 500-A(Tac).12ga.

Last edited by Tacticool1; 03-28-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dcoe View Post
Is there some part of

you don't understand?

Joe
yeah that's my bad. the poll was meant to be your ideal trigger pull resistance. and the thread is about how much is too light

oops...
Old 03-28-2011, 09:57 PM

I voted for 4, but I think I like 4lbs better than 4.5. Either way, I feel comfortable with 4lbs. It's not scary like my 8oz. bench gun! That thing freaked me out the first time I pulled it.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:11 PM

My 1911s run 3.75-4lbs (except an old 1918 vitage turned bullseye I won't shoot that runs 2.25-because it's not cracked yet and don't want it to) and my USP45 breaks at 4.25 but not quite smoothed out yet.

If your trigger breaks fine,bend the center and left sear spring legs foward slightly to increase the weight.Having a trigger pull guage is nice to see progress on each leaf.I try to keep equal pressure on both to around 3lbs,after that the left gets the majority.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:33 PM

4 lbs. is just right for a CCW piece. 2.5 for a range gun.

Are you a turtle?
Old 03-29-2011, 04:55 AM
Average Moderator

If you check a lot of triggers with your finger and a trigger gauge, you will find that clean, crisp triggers feel lighter to your finger than they measure on the gauge. I bet Hammerdown77's 629 SA trigger is crisp & clean.
I spend a lot of time on 1911s with triggers of 3.5-4#. When I shoot one with a trigger much lighter than 3#, I start getting early shots. Someone with a lot of trigger time on guns with lighter triggers probably wouldn't have that issue with a 2.5# trigger; someone with a lot of trigger time on 5# triggers might have that issue with my guns.
I think it depends a lot on what you have trained with.
So train with what you are going to carry.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:38 AM

You can bend the sear and disconnector spring slightly to get you up to whatever you like assuming good sear angles.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:11 AM

I think anything less than 4 lbs is getting to be on the unsafe side. It depends what type of action IMHO, sometimes it is not your trigger finger that makes the gun go bang, but something interfering with it Upon holstering etc.). On a gun without any secondary safety, then I would definitely not go lighter than 4#.