1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 03-27-2011, 11:08 PM

IWB Holster for Springfield EMP

Hey guys. I did decide to get the Springfield EMP pistol for concealed carry. After holding it and many others at the gun show last weekend, I did not find anything else that fit my grip as naturally and I haven't been able to get it out of my head.

Last time I had a concealed carry permit was over 20 years ago in college. My new application is in process. Back then, my IWB holster was just a nylon one with a spring clip to go over the pants / belt. That industry has changed significantly since then.

I will be carrying primarily with a tucked in shirt in an office environment with periodic trips to project sights. I only wear untucked shirts away from work and less than 25% of the time at work.

Thanks to the reviews here and on a few other sites, I've narrowed my choices down to 3 IWB holsters - 2 from Garrett Industries and 1 from Tucker Gun Leather. I love the Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe, but I got down to these 3 because I wanted a kydex molded holster for retention and leather lined to be easier on the gun's finish.

Garrett has 2 nice options:

The Silent Thunder (pictures from their website)

and Silent Thunder Slim (moves the belt clip to the back of the holster)

Then Tucker offers "The Answer" holster (photos off a review linked on Tucker's site - from this website IIRC)

As you can see, the main differences are:
  • 1 versus 2 belt clips (you can adjust the cant on both)
  • suede backed leather versus kydex against the skin
  • overall thickness

I have seen great reviews on all three holsters on various forums and I'm leaning towards the Garrett Industries Silent Thunder Slim. My only concerns are 1) how comfortable the kydex will feel against the skin, and 2) how stable is it with just one belt clip.

If anyone has experience with this, I sure would appreciate hearing your opinions.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:46 PM

Personally for IWB, I would go with 2 clips. I also carry an EMP and have a VMII and CBST. I like both, but that said, the CBST (CrossBreed Supertuck) is very comfortable and it's low-ride vs. the VMII's high-ride.

IMO, I would go with the Answer by Tucker. I've heard some good things and would like to try it, especially since it's leather lined whereas the CBST is not. However, by far the most common EMP holster is the VMII by Milt Sparks.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the reply. Just found out today that I can get Kydex clipsfor the Sparks VM2. They aren't the traditional J-clips, they just go over the pants and behind the belt according to the website. I might just have to look into that too.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
They aren't the traditional J-clips, they just go over the pants and behind the belt according to the website.
Isn't that what a traditional J-clip does?

As small as the EMP is, I'm not a fan of relying on the waistband of your pants to provide the support for a pistol. An attachment that uses the belt for support would be better in my mind.

I would think a little pistol like the EMP would be just fine with a single clip, though I'll admit a double attachment holster would probably be more stable. However, it would take up more space and be harder to get on and off.

Everything has a trade-off.

Last edited by jtq; 03-28-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:45 PM

The J-clips go over the belt and then hook under the bottom of the belt.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:13 PM

I have two Silent Thunders and like them a lot.
COTEP #0381
"I have one simple request... and that is to have sharks with fricking laser beams attached to their heads!"
--Dr. Evil
Old 03-29-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
The J-clips go over the belt and then hook under the bottom of the belt.
No, J-clips go over the waistband, behind the belt, and under the bottom of the belt.

Here is a picture of a J-clip (from Tucker)
http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net...clipspair.html

Here is a standard clip (from Comp-tac)
http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=81

High Noon's description of the differences
http://www.highnoonholsters.com/_Que...ng/j_hook.html
Old 03-29-2011, 08:41 AM

As a personal choice, I prefer all leather IWB with belt loop or with clip ..AND made from thin leather.

Have you read thru this thread yet? Let the fun begins :-) : http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=196181
Old 03-29-2011, 08:53 AM

I just got my vm2 yesterday with the kydex cllips. The difference is the clips can open up so you can slip your shirt tail behind the clip thus covering the gun with your shirt. Once you slip the holster on you then string your belt over the top and it feels stable, but I have to say its not the easiest thing to put on and to position properly. I am still trying to figure where it belongs on me.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:02 AM

My VMII is the standard VMII with the leather "loops" that snap together. I have to say, it's extremely easy to get on and off and snaps tight. The snaps don't un-snap when you draw at all. All you do is put it on, and snap it. Super easy!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonm View Post
As a personal choice, I prefer all leather IWB with belt loop or with clip ..AND made from thin leather.

Have you read thru this thread yet? Let the fun begins :-) : http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=196181
No I hadn't, but I just subscribed and will go through it as time allows. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbanach1 View Post
I just got my vm2 yesterday with the kydex cllips. The difference is the clips can open up so you can slip your shirt tail behind the clip thus covering the gun with your shirt. Once you slip the holster on you then string your belt over the top and it feels stable, but I have to say its not the easiest thing to put on and to position properly. I am still trying to figure where it belongs on me.
Thanks for the heads up. Can you post some pictures when you have time? I have not been able to find photos of the VM2 with kydex clips yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polizei1 View Post
My VMII is the standard VMII with the leather "loops" that snap together. I have to say, it's extremely easy to get on and off and snaps tight. The snaps don't un-snap when you draw at all. All you do is put it on, and snap it. Super easy!
I have read a LOT of great reviews on the VM2, but the leather loops don't allow it to be tuckable. I wear my shirts tucked in 75-90% of the time at work, so I would stongly prefer tuckable options.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGun View Post
I have two Silent Thunders and like them a lot.
Any pictures with the holster on? Did you notice the kydex against the body (uncomfortable) when you first started wearing it? Does it cut into / pinch your side when you lean over to your gun side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
No, J-clips go over the waistband, behind the belt, and under the bottom of the belt.

Here is a picture of a J-clip (from Tucker)
http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net...clipspair.html

Here is a standard clip (from Comp-tac)
http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=81

High Noon's description of the differences
http://www.highnoonholsters.com/_Que...ng/j_hook.html
My bad, I was thinking of the standard clip. I stand corrected. Thanks.

Last edited by rogerfromco; 03-29-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
Isn't that what a traditional J-clip does?

As small as the EMP is, I'm not a fan of relying on the waistband of your pants to provide the support for a pistol. An attachment that uses the belt for support would be better in my mind.

I would think a little pistol like the EMP would be just fine with a single clip, though I'll admit a double attachment holster would probably be more stable. However, it would take up more space and be harder to get on and off.

Everything has a trade-off.

Very true. The c-clip caught my attention because it looked like it put weight on the top of the belt during carry, but the bottom of the clip helped with retention during the draw.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:57 AM

I found that kydex does not wear the finish all that much. I have been carrying my kimber uc II in my cbst for the better part of a year now with minimal holster wear. The cbst is very comfortable.. I usually forget that I am wearing it after a few minutes..
COTEFT #28
Old 04-02-2011, 03:39 AM

For 1911 style pistols I now use Milt Sparks HR-LTD. It is basically a very thin VM II.

I have 4 VM II's for government sized 1911's. (one if for railed models), and such.

I got the HR-LTD for my EMP. Beautiful. I have one on order for the first Commander I will be carrying, alloy frame of course.

You can see it in the 'NEW Products' button. It doesn't look like the one there, basically a shiney VM II and much thinner. Still has the steel reinforced mouth, and all.

The one for my EMP has worn well.

I am a very big VM II Milt Sparks fan.

Good luck.

Fred
Old 04-03-2011, 01:00 AM

I have carried my EMP in a few different holsters, two clips is the way to go. I like the comp-tac MTAC which is similar to the CBST but allows you to change the kydex bodies out so you can use it with different pistols. Since the emp's slide is stainless, I wouldn't worry much about wear on the finish. Just my opinion.

A 1911 Addict
Old 04-03-2011, 08:38 AM

Please consider the Adams Holster IWB for your 1911. Heavy duty all leather construction without a ton of screws to hold the holster together or hold the clips in place. Luke uses Hermann Oak leather and with the buried short clips retention is just two Chicago screws.

Here is a picture of my latest acquisition. This is set up for a Colt King Cobra; it's also the 4th holster I've ordered from Luke. The fifth will be for my son when he gets his CPL.

Colt Delta Elite
NRA Patron Member