1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 03-21-2011, 10:14 PM

Best Price for a Kimber Solo?

I was wanting a Solo but the price is rediculesly high I mean $700 come on. Anyone see a better price? Is it really worth the cost? I have a CDP 2 compact and love it. Don't know If I'd be gaining anything for that price.

http://img833.imageshack.us/i/48248646.jpg/

Last edited by chriscreole; 03-21-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:44 PM

We can't sell you one, contact a master dealer and get on a waiting list for one.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-21-2011, 11:05 PM

I wasn't asking to buy one from this forum, i was asking if someone knew a better price than $700
Old 03-21-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscreole View Post
I was wanting a Solo but the price is rediculesly high I mean $700 come on. Anyone see a better price? Is it really worth the cost? I have a CDP 2 compact and love it. Don't know If I'd be gaining anything for that price.

http://img833.imageshack.us/i/48248646.jpg/

Is the Solo better than a CDP?
The Solo is unique, better for hiding the gun, not the same as a CDP.
These are just two different hand guns.
The CDP is an awesome hand gun, the Solo is a sweet hide out type carry gun with quite a wallop for a compact. Apples and oranges, but then again I love apples and I love oranges.

I am a Kimber and Colt guy but none of the larger 45's is quite like the Solo 9mm. Just put the Solo at the top of your list of "neat things" to have.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:28 AM

$659 in Virginia, pretty neat little pocket pistol and getting more availability, I got mine 2 weeks ago after being on a list for 2 days!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:15 AM
Banned

I am on the waiting list at one of my local shops. They are going to let me get one for $655, but that's because I send them a lot of business and I buy a lot. I think $695 is their asking price. I'm not so sure I wont to spend that kinf of money on a pocket pistol either.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msydnor View Post
I'm not so sure I wont to spend that kinf of money on a pocket pistol either.
Once you get this thing in your hands and shoot it you'll change your mind about tht price....What is it they say “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin
Old 03-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddymike View Post
Once you get this thing in your hands and shoot it you'll change your mind about tht price....What is it they say “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin
I've handled it but not shot it. They've had two in already but they were not stainless, which is what I want. I almost bought the last two tone they had but I was a little irritated they made me haggle over price. When I say I send them a lot of business, I really do. I spent close to $10K myself there last year and probably sent them at least that much in referrals, and he didn't want to work with me.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:43 AM

You may try Kentucky Gun Company.. I got mine for 644.00 delivered to Houston (shipping and CC fee included). My FFL charged me 15 for the transfer
Old 03-22-2011, 09:08 AM

My dealer is offering them for 599, buy you need to wait.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I am on the waiting list at one of my local shops. They are going to let me get one for $655, but that's because I send them a lot of business and I buy a lot. I think $695 is their asking price. I'm not so sure I wont to spend that kinf of money on a pocket pistol either.
Then he must not be a Master Dealer or he doens't like you as much as you think he should. That's not a bad price, but you can do better, but in my experience, when someone is so hung up on price, they're never going to be happy with what they pay.

There's not a whole lot of room to wiggle, but there's a little more than that, but in 1 year, 2 years, how important will that little amount really be to you. It's a business, they have to make money.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-22-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
...but they were not stainless, which is what I want.
I see this said a lot and it really bugs me that Kimber keeps doing it.

You do know the 2 guns are identical in construction? Both have stainless slide and barrel's and an aluminum frame. The frame of the Solo Stainless is just finished in silver KimPro II.

I wish Kimber would stop calling guns "Stainless" if they aren't stainless. Although with the Solo, in either color, actually should "stain less".
Old 03-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRJim View Post
I see this said a lot and it really bugs me that Kimber keeps doing it.

You do know the 2 guns are identical in construction? Both have stainless slide and barrel's and an aluminum frame. The frame of the Solo Stainless is just finished in silver KimPro II.

I wish Kimber would stop calling guns "Stainless" if they aren't stainless. Although with the Solo, in either color, actually should "stain less".
Yeah I know, I just like the way it looks better.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Then he must not be a Master Dealer or he doens't like you as much as you think he should. That's not a bad price, but you can do better, but in my experience, when someone is so hung up on price, they're never going to be happy with what they pay.

There's not a whole lot of room to wiggle, but there's a little more than that, but in 1 year, 2 years, how important will that little amount really be to you. It's a business, they have to make money.
It's really not about price, it was a matter of principle to me. The $655 price was after some lenghty negotiation. I had the money in my pocket. I guess I figure if he doesn't appretiate my business and the business I send him, so be it. I aint mad at him, I just keep my money in my pocket and buy elsewhere if need be. Plus, I have a house full of guns, I don't need it, so I can be selective. There will be more and the price will come down eventually

Last edited by msydnor; 03-22-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:17 PM

I got mine for $649.00. Even at list price, the kimber is a bargain. The all metal Kahr sells for $800.00 to $1,000.00 the Rohrbaugh sells for $1,100.00 -$1,300.00. I'd rather have the Kimber, even if the prices were the same.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:06 PM

New to the forum, and wanted to jump right in here. i just bought my Solo in the St Louis area for $635. And i must tell you that this is the first Kimber that i have owned, and i just LOVE IT!
Old 03-22-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
It's really not about price, it was a matter of principle to me.
Then that has nothing to do with a gun or a price, it has to do with the relationship you have with your GS. Sometimes we make those relationships more personal than they are; we all do it. A GS is a business, in business to do business and stay in business. They don't need to give things away, and if it were me and I liked the shop, I don't want them to give things away either.

If you want no haggle, go to an auction site and bid with a keyboard to keep the personal stuff out.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Then that has nothing to do with a gun or a price, it has to do with the relationship you have with your GS. Sometimes we make those relationships more personal than they are; we all do it. A GS is a business, in business to do business and stay in business. They don't need to give things away, and if it were me and I liked the shop, I don't want them to give things away either.

If you want no haggle, go to an auction site and bid with a keyboard to keep the personal stuff out.
I know why he is in business. I wasn't asking for it at a giveaway price or even at cost. He would not budge off the asking price that everyone else gets. When I say I send him a lot of business, I'm not talking a couple people a month or every few months and the people I send him just got their permits and are ready to purchase. They are my prefered store. I will sometimes pass on a purchase at other places and wait for them to get stuff in. I spend a lot of money there and shoot their several times a week. Seems like good business to me to suck up $50 bucks every once in a while for a guy that is sending thousands in business. But maybe you miss understand, I'm not swearing off the place or anything and I wasn't even mad, more like disappointed. However, I may send some of those people elsewhere, or buy elsewhere on occassion. In other words, If I get know loyalty, why should I give any. He called me later that day and offered $50 bucks off, but buy then I changed my mind and decided to wait on the stainless finish.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:13 PM

Local GS had one for 625 when they first came out and "weren't" for sale. I handled it a lot and didn't really like it. Trigger was a long pull, like a Kahr, but smooth. I decided then that for another 150 bucks, I'd rather have an ultra carry. Someone bought it later that day and had to wait a couple of weeks to pick it up while it on display.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:05 PM

boy oh boy this topic sure stired the pot huh? I just wanted to see what they were selling for lol!
Old 03-23-2011, 01:19 AM

I called my gun dealer and he said Kimber hasn't said when it was coming out, though I don't think they like me there. How can I find a "Master Dealer" are they just the ones listed on the kimber sight. I'll pay the asking price i just don't want to drive all across Florida to find one.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeao View Post
I called my gun dealer and he said Kimber hasn't said when it was coming out, though I don't think they like me there. How can I find a "Master Dealer" are they just the ones listed on the kimber sight. I'll pay the asking price i just don't want to drive all across Florida to find one.
They came out in January after the Shot Show. They are becomming available, some more quickly than others in different areas. They are readily available around here( maybe a 3-7 day wait at around $659) Master Dealers are listed on the Kimber web site.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
He would not budge off the asking price that everyone else gets.
Back to the value of the relationship. If you think you deserve special, better than other people, pricing then that's between you and him. And you already said you got a better price.

Quote:
....I don't think this is entirely about the pricing of a gun that you're not even sure you want that they have you a better price on. Seems to be more about how you think your dealer should value you.

Last edited by SRJim; 03-23-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Back to the value of the relationship. If you think you deserve special, better than other people, pricing then that's between you and him.
I'm pretty sure I have already stated same, not sure why you feel the need to reiterate something I have already concurred on.

Quote:

....I don't think this is entirely about the pricing of a gun that you're not even sure you want. Seems to be more about how you think your dealer should treat you. They're "letting you" get a better price than their normal price but it's not good enough? Sounds like you need to work things out with the GS.
I've already explicitly stated it was not about the price, don't know how many different ways I can say it so you understand it. I am sure I want a solo, as I stated I prefer the stainless, I would have bought the lesser preferred one at the time (impulse) if I had offered up even a token gesture. I also stated the price they are "NOW" offering me is good enough, but since I am past the impulse stage I will wait for the preferred option. I probably would have bought the other one if he had offered $20 bucks off. Like I said it was not about the money. And yeah I already worked it out. I'm not the type to get pissy with a dealer of any merchandise because they won't sell to me at a price I want. If I feel strongly enough about the issue, I just spend my money elswhere. I didn't get pissy with them, I just decided not to purchase. It's their stuff and their business, it is not my place to demand anything, just opt out if the situation does not suit me, which is what I did.

Last edited by msydnor; 03-23-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I've already explicitly stated it was not about the price, don't know how many different ways I can say it so you understand it. I am sure I want a solo, as I stated I prefer the stainless, I would have bought the lesser preferred one at the time (impulse) if I had offered up even a token gesture. I also stated the price they are "NOW" offering me is good enough, but since I am past the impulse stage I will wait for the preferred option. I probably would have bought the other one if he had offered $20 bucks off. Like I said it was not about the money. And yeah I already worked it out. I'm not the type to get pissy with a dealer of any merchandise because they won't sell to me at a price I want. If I feel strongly enough about the issue, I just spend my money elswhere. I didn't get pissy with them, I just decided not to purchase. It's their stuff and their business, it is not my place to demand anything, just opt out if the situation does not suit me, which is what I did.
Ok, we'll leave it there then because what you've said in your previous replies doesn't seem consistent, even with that. But what does it have to do with the OP anyway, right.

Good luck.