1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 03-21-2011, 07:21 AM

What powder scale works the best

I want to start reloading 45acp I am starting to buy componates as funds allow. Looking to buy a powder scale want to do it right the first time.
I have a RCBS 502 scale but I do not think it would work real good for the small amount of powder used in pistols. I load shotgun shells now in three gauges.
Thanks for all your infromation so I can make the right choice.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:30 AM

I have a Dillon balace beam scale, works fine. Then went to an RCBS electronic scale. Since then, I had upgraded to a RCBS -auto dispenser with scale. Electronic is easier and more accurate.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:46 AM

The Dillon Eliminator scale is nice for $54.

I have been using a Lee scale for a while now, and it works. They're around $20. However, it can sometimes be maddening to zero, and keep zeroed. It is very sensitive, though.
Colt New Agent, TRADED
Springfield Gov't custom mystery gun
Old 03-21-2011, 07:52 AM

Are you looking for digital or balance beam type? What's your budget? I wanted a solid digital powder scale, ate the cost for an RCBS 1500 and never looked back. Great scale and no regrets.

-1911Collector

"You have a pretty face. Do you speak Spanish? ...you have a face como un burro." Gru.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:58 AM

I prefer a mechanical scale like the RCBS 10-10 scale for my precision work. Another plus for the beam type scale is that I don't have to remember my target value once set. I have an ac powered Pact, which I believe to be the makers of the RCBS electronic scales. It's handy for weighing stuff. It's easy to setup. They are temparature sensitive though. I turn mine on at least a half hour before using it to measure small charges. Static electricty effects it too. I switched from plastic to a metal powder tray to help with that.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:18 AM

You get what you pay for in scales. I have used a beam for years and somewhat recently bought a Dillon D-Terminator (electronic), now the Dillon is my go to. I find it consistent, accurate, and very easy to use.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:16 AM

I own a Dillon eliminator scale and I also bought a electronic scale. The Dillon works fine but I am not impressed with the construction.

If I had it to do over I would spend $20 more than the Dillon sells for and get one of these.

I have never used one of these I linked to but from the picture it just looks like it was made a lot better than the Dillon.

There is nothing wrong with the Dillon, I just that there are a lot better scales for a little more money

http://www.amazon.com/My-Weigh-3-Bea...ef=pd_sbs_op_3

http://www.amazon.com/Adam-Equipment...723214&sr=8-12
Old 03-21-2011, 11:58 AM

I have both the Dillon Beam and the PACT electronic...both work great

I feel that if you buy or own an electronic a beam type you should also have..
Old 03-21-2011, 12:05 PM

Nuttin' wrong with your RCBS.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown77 View Post

I have been using a Lee scale for a while now, and it works. They're around $20. However, it can sometimes be maddening to zero, and keep zeroed. It is very sensitive, though.
I started with the Lee scale that came with my kit. It lasted one session. I left the bench and immediately ordered the Dillon Eliminator. I had the same issues with obtaining a zero, and keeping it. I had to re-zero between each charge measured. The little white marks in the .10 grain increments are almost impossible to read, especially since the white is rubbed off on most of them. The triple poise system with the Eliminator is far easier to work with.

LC
Ruger GP100 4" stainless .357
Kimber Ultra CDP II
Old 03-21-2011, 08:06 PM

Search ebay for "carat or jewelry scale". Lots of inexpensive, very accurate scales to choose from.......to the .01 of a grain.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikld View Post
Nuttin' wrong with your RCBS.

............exactly.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:34 PM

For my two handguns and all my rifles, I use the RCBS 1500 ChargeMaster Combo Digital. Very fast and accurate. Buuut, I always Have my RCBS[Ohaus] scale on hand to check wgts every now and again; just to be sure. Anything electronic can go monkey brains for whatever reason!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:04 AM

The reason I do not think my current RCBS 502 scale will work for pistol loads very well is it at the very end of the scale as you can see in this picture for 6grains.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0043 Scale.jpg  
Old 03-22-2011, 07:41 AM

That could be a problem! Mine is the 10-10. These are good scales. Look at Midsouth shooterssupply.com, as they have some pretty good deals on any type of scale you'd like to move up to.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:27 PM

i use a hornady beam scale, its worked well for me. never had an electronic
one. if your experimenting with a lot of different loads maybe the electronic
might be the nest for you.... all of the reloading equipment is personal
choice and budget.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:19 PM

I can personally vouch for the 10-10 scale as well. Know other reloaders with it and have been using there 10-10 for 15 + years.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readgriff View Post
The reason I do not think my current RCBS 502 scale will work for pistol loads very well is it at the very end of the scale as you can see in this picture for 6grains.
I don't see anything wrong with it. Looks very similar to my 50 year old Redding that is still going strong. I still use it for every loading session.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 03-22-2011, 10:35 PM

I have a 502 and I only load pistol cartridges. The 505 and 502 are some of the most widely used scales. I don't know why you are concerned about 6 grains being at the end of the scale. I have loads with as little as 3.6 grains going on my 502.

If you just want to buy something new then or just want to spend money then by all means get the RCBS 10-10. You won't go wrong with it. I still have to reinforce the fact that your 502 is perfectly fine.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:37 PM

I've used an electronic balance since the late '70s and the Ainsworth still works.
I like the little Lyman 1000XL (I think), with battery and AC adaptor. I also use the RCBS 1500 (?) that came with the ChargeMaster.
I have never had any problems with an electronic balance. Beams need proper care and nobody cares for theirs properly that I have seen. I have also seen a poise or two get accidentally moved so the charge was wrong. The only beam balance I ever used was the RCBS with the "nut" that turns rather than an individual poise.
If you get a beam balance, buy a set of check weights. Weigh each combination of check weights and make a plot of weight read vs actual weight.
Run this check every once in a while to verify that the balance hasn't shifted.
Keep it covered when not in use and only have the beam on the base when you are actually weighing something (store the beam off the base with both covered).
Old 03-23-2011, 02:38 AM

I have an old Rcbs 5-10 that I have used over 25 years and a new Rcbs 5-0-5, both made by Ohaus Corp, they both work great, nothing at all wrong with Rcbs scales
NRA Life Member and NO I dont do Facebook
Old 03-23-2011, 02:46 AM

I use a RCBS 1500

Dan Wesson Valor 09 Valor #46 Cotep #184
Old 03-23-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown77 View Post

I have only used the Lee Scale once so far. I am going to continue to stick with it even though it can be difficult sometimes. I found there was a sliver if metal that needed removing where the razor sits. I have also heard you need to check the blade that sits by the dampener to make sure it is not bent slightly. Once it has been zeroed I have found it to be very accurate.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercorvette View Post
I own a Dillon eliminator scale and I also bought a electronic scale. The Dillon works fine but I am not impressed with the construction. If I had it to do over I would spend $20 more than the Dillon sells for and get one of these. I have never used one of these I linked to but from the picture it just looks like it was made a lot better than the Dillon. There is nothing wrong with the Dillon, I just [think] that there are a lot better scales for a little more money

http://www.amazon.com/My-Weigh-3-Bea...ef=pd_sbs_op_3

http://www.amazon.com/Adam-Equipment...723214&sr=8-12
I don't understand why you are saying this. These are cheap scientific gram scales with no features for reloading, not even a simple powder pan. 1.0 gram equals 15.4 grains, so if these scales are accurate to 0.1 gram, that equates to 1.4 grains. Accuracy to only 1.4 grains will get your gun blown up when using powders like TiteGroup.

The basic Ohaus beam scale (like the Eliminator, 505, or 10-10) is accurate to 0.1 grains. That's 14 times MORE accurate, for far less money.

Please help us understand why you would say this.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alland View Post
I don't see anything wrong with it. Looks very similar to my 50 year old Redding that is still going strong. I still use it for every loading session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing View Post
I have a 502 and I only load pistol cartridges. The 505 and 502 are some of the most widely used scales. I don't know why you are concerned about 6 grains being at the end of the scale. I have loads with as little as 3.6 grains going on my 502.

Again................exactly.

If you have concerns about it's accuracy, then test it with check weights. You should do this regardless of what kind of scale you have. IMHO, the problem is not with the scale, but your understanding of how it works.