1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 03-19-2011, 08:50 PM

Solo, LC9 or P238? OR PF-9?

So I want a little pistol for summertime, to throw in a cargo shorts pocket, and/or carry iwb that won't be noticed with just a t shirt over it...

The solo feels and looks good, but price seems silly...

The P238 is my first choice from a looks perspective, but I feel better about 9pm than .380...

The LC9, price is great, visually not so great...

What do you guys think? All 3 felt good to hold, doubt I'll have opportunity to fire them before buying, what's the better choice?

Last edited by blowngt; 03-22-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:12 AM

I have a KT PF9 and it's a great little shooter. drops right into the pocket, and disappears! I think it's worth looking into, personally I'd go for the LC9 out of the 3 you've mentioned, ruger seems to do a good job.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:20 AM

Around here the P238 is the same price as a solo. I would pick the solo out of those 3. Better round than the .380 and I personally don't like the styling of Rugers or the trigger. Just my .02
Old 03-20-2011, 11:11 AM

Kimber solo,

I saw some accuracy tests of the solo, possibly American Hand-gunner Magazine, and the thing was crazy accurate. We are talking like 1.5-2" groups at 25 yards. Most reasonably priced 1911's cant do that. Actually I think that Dave Anderson posted a review of it on here in the Range Reports. I like the Kel Tec idea as well, even if it is a little ugly, but with the Kimber's accuracy I can possibly see one in my future.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:06 PM

The solo is pretty expensive and IMO for that price I'd get a kahr pm9. The lc9 is MUCH bigger than I anticipated so I was turned off by that.

I have both the p238 ($499) and lcp (OD green $308). The gf carries the p238 because it's small but has the opposite of a carry melt so it is perfect go her purse. Bad for a pocket. The lcp is less expensive, IMO easier to carry/no sharp edges, but literally a pain to shoot.

I wouldn't shoot any .380 a lot so the lcp is a great choice. The p238 is much more comfortable to shoot and has full sights. So for carry only the lcp gets my vote. In a pocket holster it's great and in a high noon IWB it disappears. FWIW the lcp is easy to clean, p238 has lots of hard to reach nooks

All of the aforementioned are as accurate as any pocket pistol should be. As said many times anything over 10 yds is just Hollywood so realistically I wouldn't worry about accuracy at a distance. And the 9 v 380 argument might be something you care about - frankly I don't they're both small rounds and will both have the desired effect on target.

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Last edited by Munch520; 03-20-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:53 PM

Solo first. It is too expensive.
LC9 second. Magazine safety? Really? Single side safety? Too many lawyers syndrome.
SIG 238, .380. How about the SIG 290.

Are you a turtle?
Old 03-20-2011, 02:25 PM

Here is your third post recommending the Kel-Tec PF9. I think I paid like $260.00 for mine. They only weigh 12 ounces! I don't need a target gun or an expensive gun. I wanted the smallest, lightest, inexpensive, reliable mini 9mm mini hammer I could find and this gun does exactly what it is built to do. Several hundred round through it and has been 100% reliable. Also double action only, 7 pound trigger pull, and a light rail if that matters.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:10 PM

I will check out the kel tec when i go back to the store... I didn't realize they made what ruger copied lol... I may also take a peek at the p290, but I percieved the price point to be too close to the solo, and the grip appeared shorter to me, and it just didn't appeal to me as much as the solo.

I THINK I'm leaning towards the kel tec or the ruger though just due to cost at this point though.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowngt View Post
I THINK I'm leaning towards the kel tec or the ruger though just due to cost at this point though.
for what you described as its primary use - good choice

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:08 PM

I own the Sig, also the LCP, but have had no chance on the Kimber Solo. With that in mind I have also the Keltec P-11. 9mm, 11 shot. One of the smallest if not the smallest 9mm out there. The Keltec in my thoughts is by far one of the most accurate small 9's Ive ever owned. From 10 yards it is accurate, it's hard to believe. The Sig comes in 2nd, but expensive but a great firearm!! My LCP, well it's for sale. It never lived up to what everyone was saying. Too small, not very accurate, and does not feel like a good solid piece. And as far as the Solo, too much money, if you could find one right now. Just my $0.2 cents worth. Happy hunting.......
Old 03-20-2011, 06:38 PM

I haven't handled a Kimber Solo however I own 2 P238s and an LC9. For pocket carry I much prefer the P238. I also prefer to shoot the P238 over the LC9 as it has a superior trigger pull. The LC9 is enough larger than P238 that it's very noticeable in your pocket. As many posts mention, 9MM is likely a better SD rd however a good .380 SD rd will do the job IMO.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=309460
Old 03-20-2011, 07:08 PM

LCP - Reasonable price, but not nice to shoot.

Keltec - See above.

Kimber Solo - Nice trigger. Still haven't seen one for sale though. Local dealer has 20 backordered.

Ruger LC9 - Haven't seen one.

Sig P238 - Nice single-action. Small. Overpriced IMHO.

Sig P290 - Nice trigger, but a bit large & chunky.

Kahr PM9 - Long trigger pull. Slim & easy to conceal.

Diamondback .380 - Sort-of a baby Glock. Trigger is long and mushy though.

Personally, I chose the Kahr PM9. It was a choice between the Kahr PM9, Sig P290, and P238. I really like the P238, but I wanted a 9mm as well. Out of the 9mm choices, the Kahr PM9 has a proven track record, is smaller than the P290, and I couldn't get a Kimber Solo or Ruger LC9.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 03-21-2011, 03:13 PM

I have a micro desert eagle .380. It is very accurate at 7 yards...maybe farther. I don't expect to shoot a gun this small much farther than that. It feeds FMJ very reliably. I had trouble with federal hydrashock hollow points. I bought a box of golden sabers and I am going to try them next. The big trigger guard looks weird but it gun really grips well and I am not worried about shooting my finger off. Of course, I do not put my finger in front of the trigger guard.

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Micro_Eagle.asp
Old 03-22-2011, 07:28 AM

I've got a S&W Bodyguard .380 and it serves the purpose, tiny and easily concealable, but it is no fun to shoot. Like a lot of folks, been thinking how much I'd prefer to go with a 9mm, as I'm not all that convinced a .380 is a effective defense round. The Kimber solo appeals to me, but I think I'll wait and see what the "beta testers" report, as well as the price to drop before I dive in.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Banned

My wife has a P238 and it is her primary carry weapon. She also has a LCP which she seldom carrys now. I like the 238, real sights, and actually fairly decent to shoot. I hate the LCP after 50 rounds my hand hurts from shooting it.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:05 AM

Any of you that have the PF9, is it any fun to shoot? or painful like the LCP's have a reputation for?

I come from a line of thought that it seems too cheap to be any good, so I need to research it a bit more... seems to have a good track record though.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:12 AM

Kimber Solo: while it appears to be an excellent design with better-than-average pocketgun ergonomics, $700 seems a bit too much to bite off on for a first-generation, unproven product... especially when Kimber's quirks vis a vis QC and CS are taken into account.

SIG P238: disadvantage of being .380 and having a tiny little safety that you must use in order to be safe. I'm not sure the 1911 / Mustang platform is a good fit for pocket carry, and you have excessive weight for what it is.

Ruger LC9: does a lot of things right. Lightweight, shoots a cartridge that can make the FBI's minimum penetration standard and do some damage on the way. DAO trigger pull means you can forgo the thumb safety if you wish. Ruger has a good history of building reliable, if clunky, guns. Unfortunately they also have a recent history of first-gen recalls. I'd go with the LC9, preferably after they get the kinks ironed out.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:14 AM

it's those 1st gen kinks that have me thinkin about the pf9... cheaper, been around a while, and aside from the safeties and a different trigger personality, I percieve them to be the same gun...

decisions decisions...
Old 03-22-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Any of you that have the PF9, is it any fun to shoot? or painful like the LCP's have a reputation for?
Well, it's not a target gun, so it's not going to be as fun to shoot as a 5" 1911 in 9mm. For what it is, it's pretty good. When I got mine, I put about 50 rounds into a 1/2 size B27 target at 7 yds, and I only had one shot outside the torso. On a full size B27 target, they all would have been inside the vital zone.

Does it have a little bit of snap? Yes, but it's not as bad as the S&W 340PD with .357 loads that I used to have!

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 03-22-2011, 12:22 PM

A kimber with a brand new design is to be avoided imo. I'd go ruger.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 PM

I have read of LCP's having a lot of kick. I don't understand this. I have 2 LCP's. I find them easy to shoot, and accurate @ 21 feet.

Are you a turtle?
Old 03-23-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
I have found that none of the pocket pistols are any fun to shoot

Not much to hold on to, the ones I own and others that I have shot were all quite snappy

My wife carries the PF9 due to it being the flattest and lightest 9mm made, she has said many times she cant hardly tell its in her purse, it weighs like 14 ounces loaded if I remember correctly

It has been shot quite a bit and never had any problems whatsoever
NRA Life Member and NO I dont do Facebook

Last edited by Bullseye1911; 03-23-2011 at 03:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-23-2011, 04:15 AM

I've been looking at the Bersa Thunder 380 CC. A little bigger than a pocket .380 but is inexpensive and is reported to be reliable. Haven't shot one yet but it felt ok in my hand unlike the pocket pistols.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye1911 View Post
I have found that none of the pocket pistols are any fun to shoot

Not much to hold on to, the ones I own and others that I have shot were all quite snappy

My wife carries the PF9 due to it being the flattest and lightest 9mm made, she has said many times she cant hardly tell its in her purse, it weighs like 14 ounces loaded if I remember correctly

It has been shot quite a bit and never had any problems whatsoever
I have one myself. It's not a range gun. I call it a hand ringer. For CCW it's a good gun, and very accurate. My wife and I gave up carrying one because we didn't feel comfortable carrying something that we didn't like to shoot.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:06 PM

FOLLOW UP:

Ok, I was pretty much resigned to getting a PF9, and stumbled upon info that it doesn't have a firing pin block, just a hammer block... this makes me semi nervous about carrying chambered, what do you guys think about this? Isn't a pin block what generally would keep it from firing if dropped? I'm wondering if the LC9 may be more for me for the peice of mind, but just not sure yet....