1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 03-17-2011, 06:03 PM

Holster for Backpacking

I'm trying to figure out the best way to carry while backpacking in the mountains and I'm not really sure which way will work best. Mounting a holster on the backpack straps or belt is an option, but it would also be nice to still have the gun on me when I set the pack down. Have also considered a tactical leg holster but they seem like they might get annoying after hiking for a while. What ideas can you guys come up with?
Old 03-17-2011, 06:04 PM

Concealed or open carry?
COTEP #0381
"I have one simple request... and that is to have sharks with fricking laser beams attached to their heads!"
--Dr. Evil
Old 03-17-2011, 06:07 PM

open carry
Old 03-17-2011, 06:11 PM

Nylon shoulder holster. Uncle Mikes?
Dave
SEMPER FI
Old 03-17-2011, 06:13 PM

drop leg seems like a good call to me, but youll want a good one if your going to wear it hiking, blackhawk and safariland are highly reccomended

if you want to attach a holster to the pack i would think about crossdraw on the waist strap, maybe a lightweight kydex owb thrown in the pack for when your not wearing it? or your regular carry rig. good luck and let us know what works out for you, im interested in this as well.

happy trails

Pain is weakness leaving the body.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:14 PM

i thought about that too dave but I was concerned with it interfering with the straps on my backpack. ? I guess if the pistol was held down low enough that would work.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:17 PM

I don't open carry, but I think it is an easier problem to solve than concealed carry with a big pack.

How about two holsters? E.g. a Serpa on your backpack belt, and switch the gun to a clip-on paddle holster when you put your pack down?

Sometimes for concealed carry, I use a Safepacker holster, but I have to unhook it every time I take the pack off. What a hassle. Other times, I have the gun in its IWB holster in a pack pocket, but that doesn't provide very quick access...

I'm looking forward to hearing from others about this.
COTEP #0381
"I have one simple request... and that is to have sharks with fricking laser beams attached to their heads!"
--Dr. Evil
Old 03-17-2011, 06:25 PM

Hey guys I think I found the solution. For anyone who has the same question as me check out http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/index.html
Old 03-17-2011, 06:39 PM

I was going to suggest something similar. I have been looking at this company's holsters thinking of getting one like it.

http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php

Last edited by Spray-n-Pray; 03-18-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:43 PM

Hey Spray--how's going? Been up to English Pit lately?

I don't know; both of those chest rigs look really clunky to me. If I didn't have a pack on, I wouldn't want to wear either of those for long.
COTEP #0381
--Dr. Evil
Old 03-17-2011, 08:46 PM

This is the route I would go.. a tankers rig..

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/LEG195-33.html
COTEFT #28
Old 03-17-2011, 08:52 PM

El Paso Saddlery:

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-154-14-...5-barrels.aspx

I plan to get one of these for my 3",S&W629
Old 03-17-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackf View Post
[/url]
please ban the spammer..
COTEFT #28
Old 03-17-2011, 09:05 PM

If you are using a small revolver or something similar, an ankle holster wrapped around the hip pad of the back pack surprisingly works well. I am still looking for something for a bigger gun, but for a small gun this is what I will use.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:09 PM

I pack a lot and I use a SafePacker. Also, see this video.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:57 PM

years ago I had Kramer make me a cross draw for my S&W 629 Mountain Gun for the purpose of hiking..I still have it and my 629..

http://www.kramerleather.com/product...TOKEN=87297666
Old 03-18-2011, 07:04 AM

My vote would be for the drop leg holster, just make sure the fit is right and you wont even know its there.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:33 AM

This also should work. I believe that he could also add a strap if you are concerned on the gun dropping out.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm
Old 03-29-2011, 02:34 AM

im gonna go with the tanker style from el paso saddlery
Old 03-29-2011, 05:43 AM

Dont forget to look at the Chesty Puller from simply rugged or a decent leather shoulder holster. If you want drop leg try G-Code or black hawk.

SLOSA.org
Come check us out if you're ever in the central California area.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberkid22 View Post
Hey guys I think I found the solution. For anyone who has the same question as me check out http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/index.html
Thanks for posting, but I would be leary of that due to the fact that around the shoulder there is a shortening buckle. Under heavy use, man could that cause some bad blistering.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:47 PM

rickshooter, I link to Andrews Holsters alot, remember any link only takes you to the Andrews home page. You need to identify a holster by name so we can find what you are referring to.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:40 AM

Not to hijack this thread, but I hike and do some light backpacking here in California. I occasionally open carry in the wilderness areas of national forests where I don't encounter a lot of people. If I want to carry concealed, do the CCW laws apply in the wilderness as they do in "urban areas"?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookamoto View Post
If I want to carry concealed, do the CCW laws apply in the wilderness as they do in "urban areas"?
Let me preface the following by saying that I am not a lawyer, and this post is simply my opinion. Engage your local law enforcement, and do your own homework before carrying anywhere.

Generally in CA, when on BLM land and in National Forests, you do not need a CCW. This does not apply in National Parks. There are clearly defined restrictions about where you can/can't shoot when on BLM/NFS land. I usually open carry on BLM land in CA, and have never had any problems. I have encountered law enforcement on multiple occasions, and have never been hassled. I always make sure to have photo ID, hunter's safety education card, applicable hunting licenses and stamps, and weapons registration documents handy. A few times, officers have wanted to examine some of my rifles to make sure they comply with CA laws regarding assault weapons. Other than that, they usually just want to make sure that I'm being safe and having fun.

I generally believe that if you are a responsible gun owner who has sought out applicable regulations, and you conduct yourself in a safe, professional and courteous manner, you will not be hassled by law enforcement while carrying on public land in CA. If your campsite is littered with beer cans and whiskey bottles, and you're stumbling around shirtless with your pistol tucked in your waistband then you're just asking for trouble.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:46 AM

Hm. I go hiking with with my wife and kids and my 2 year old daughter rides in a backpack made for little kids. It wraps around my waist and I just use my normal holster under the wrap-around. My holster is an IWB kydex type. The way everything ends up I can still draw normally because the kydex retains it's shape and the pistol is not stuck from the pressur of the backpack. I actually like it because it keeps everything locked into place and I don't have to worry about it moving around from the hours of hiking and sweating. Someday she'll be too big and I'll be on my own again.
It is bad to have to fight. It is worse to have to fight and lose.