1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Smith & Wesson

Old 03-16-2011, 08:37 AM

S&W E Series 1911SC Bobtail

Warning:This is a long boring post, (Sorry), so feel free to skip to the pictures. I am new here and wanted to give an idea of what brought me here.

After two months of waiting, (which is not as long as I thought it would be), I went to my LGS yesterday and picked up my new 2 tone 1911SC Bobtail.

I have lusted after a 1911 since my days in the service, stationed in Kansas; I was envious of the tank crews who got to carry and qualify with them. When I got out I went to the gun shop, I looked at it, fondled it, liked it, I wanted it, then I looked at the price tag and gave it back. UMmmm okay, I'll take the Ruger P90DC instead which was much cheaper. That P90 is over twenty years old and I still have it, still shoot it, but it was not what I really wanted.

Through the years various hobbies have consumed my time and my money, every time I went to the gun store I would look at them but I never bought one, I was content to shoot my friends and get my fix that way. A few years ago I walked in with the intent of buying one, I walked out with a Walther P22 instead, I had the money, I just didn't want to part with it.

A year ago I got serious and finally got my CPL, it was time for a 1911 of my own. I wanted a 3 inch, they are sexy, but I decided against it for various reasons, (some day I will have one). I moved up to the commander length, I had post it notes everywhere on various models likes and dislikes, I was so close to going with a Dan Wesson CCO, what a beautiful gun, but I didn't want to spend that much, then I saw what S&W was coming out with at a reasonable price, I was hooked. I don't like to be a beta tester but so be it, at this price, and for the features it has, I just don't see how you can beat it.

I am all in now, no more plastic guns for me, (well, maybe one more). This is a beautiful gun. No offense to anyone, but pictures don't do it justice, even the S&W site doesn't, you need to see it in person. The point and shoot wasn't going to cut it for this one so I brought out the big guns, it was worth the time and effort.

I am impressed with this gun, the bobtail frame fits perfect in my hand, I have smaller hands and I love the feel of it over a traditional straight frame. The scale serrations I am neutral on, I wish they would have left them off the front, but they grip well and are comfortable. I am surprised at how light it feels, it has that "I am going to be heavier than it is" look to it. WHY, do they have to but that stupid warning on the frame, never mind, I know why. Nothing that a sharpie wont fix for now.

I can't wait to get out and shoot it, unfortunately my "work life balance" scale is leaning heavily in the wrong direction. I will post a range report when I do. I ordered several different brands of SD ammo and should have it soon.

EDIT: I forgot to add my thoughts on the trigger as I know there have been complaints on how sloppy the S&W are. I am no trigger expert so take this for what it is, this is only a report of how the trigger on MY gun feels. I know what S&W did to address this and I don't know what spec they are using to adjust the "Pad" on the trigger shoe, I took a feeler gauge and slipped it between the top of the trigger and the frame, all the way down was .014, with the trigger pushed all the way up it was .011, that amounts to .003 of on inch. I don't personally have anything to compare this to but from my totally unscientific results that sure seems good to me, if anyone would care to enlighten me on what a normal amount of play is in a 1911 I would love to know. No sarcasm, I am genuinely curious.
The take up is good and the trigger breaks cleanly with just the tiniest bit of creep, I don't have a scale to test the weight, but it is less than my EMP. Overall I like the feel of this trigger.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Disclaimer: I can not be held responsible by you, or your significant other, for making you spend money.

Last edited by OrdinaryAverageGuy; 03-20-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:54 AM

Very nice pictures of a very nice looking piece.. I need to hire you out for my future photo posts.

Congrats on the new E can't wait to get mine to the range either.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:58 AM

those fish scales are growing on me (LOL - I mean I kinda like em) ...would be cool if they did those on the front strap and msh just turning them 90 degrees. how do they feel for racking, pretty grippy? I agree with you on the FCS...but I feel that about ALL 1911s. Moreso with non traditional milling...but it works on your theme. What is the price point on that? They sure packed a lot of features in it if your saying its alot less than the DW CCO...you even have a highcut frontstrap with checkering. Nice touches for sure.
NRA Life Member

Last edited by DevilDave1911; 03-16-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:02 AM

Mine are pretty darn grippy.. I couldn't imagine having any difficulty working the slide even when sweating in the heat down here in FL.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDave1911 View Post
those fish scales are growing on me (LOL - I mean I kinda like em) ...would be cool if they did those on the front strap and msh just turning them 90 degrees. how do they feel for racking, pretty grippy? I agree with you on the FCS...but I feel that about ALL 1911s. Moreso with non traditional milling...but it works on your theme. What is the price point on that? They sure packed a lot of features in it if your saying its alot less than the DW CCO...you even have a highcut frontstrap with checkering. Nice touches for sure.
They are very "grippy" and surprisingly comfortable, form playing with it I prefer these over some of my other guns, there are no sharp edges that bite into my fingers.
I agree that they should have kept the same theme, but I already don't notice anymore....
Old 03-16-2011, 10:15 AM

Nice review and I couldn't skip the pictures. They almost make me want to buy one. Hope you enjoy shooting it.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:56 PM

Awesome! congratulations.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:51 PM

Wow. Drool on keyboard. May have to order one. My last S&W 1911 was some time ago. Still have it and it is great.

Although not a 1911 I like the scales on my 945.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:05 PM

Wow looks like S&W hit a home run with these 1911's
Old 03-20-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryAverageGuy View Post
They are very "grippy" and surprisingly comfortable, form playing with it I prefer these over some of my other guns, there are no sharp edges that bite into my fingers.
I agree that they should have kept the same theme, but I already don't notice anymore....
I just gotta say....if your not a photographer...you should be! Also...how much cheaper than a DW CCO are they?
Old 03-20-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1911 View Post
Wow. Drool on keyboard. May have to order one. My last S&W 1911 was some time ago. Still have it and it is great.

Although not a 1911 I like the scales on my 945.

Nice! I like the carbon fiber grips, who made them?
Old 03-20-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerzzz View Post
I just gotta say....if your not a photographer...you should be! Also...how much cheaper than a DW CCO are they?
Thanks for the compliment. I am sure that it would depend on what kind of deal you could find, Msrp on the CCO is $1530.00. I paid $1176.00 out the door for my S&W as I prefer to support my local gun shop.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:00 PM

Awesome gun, congrats!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:06 AM

Great photo spread and a beautiful gun! I have a black model enroute to my FFL and hope to pick it up Friday. I've never had the opportunity to handle a bobtail, but I think I will like it a lot. This thing just jumped out and grabbed me the first time I saw it. I like the Commander sized guns, but with a regular butt, they aren't much easier to carry concealed than a Govt Model. One thing I particularly like about Commanders is that they have a regular barrel bushing which is lacking in the 3-4" 1911s. I'm not brand-faithful 1911 owner, but I sure do like this S&W. I have 3 Springfields, a Para, a Dan Wesson and a Taurus. This will be a nice addition.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:36 AM

I want one bad...thanks a lot....

Question for OneOrdinaryGuy...why do you say that your 945 isnt a 1911 type pistol??

I WANT A 1911 SC
Old 03-30-2011, 08:18 PM

I want one of those bobtails BAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDD
Old 03-31-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Great photo spread and a beautiful gun! I have a black model enroute to my FFL and hope to pick it up Friday. I've never had the opportunity to handle a bobtail, but I think I will like it a lot. This thing just jumped out and grabbed me the first time I saw it. I like the Commander sized guns, but with a regular butt, they aren't much easier to carry concealed than a Govt Model. One thing I particularly like about Commanders is that they have a regular barrel bushing which is lacking in the 3-4" 1911s. I'm not brand-faithful 1911 owner, but I sure do like this S&W. I have 3 Springfields, a Para, a Dan Wesson and a Taurus. This will be a nice addition.
Thanks.
You are going to like the Bobtail I am sure, this was also the first for me and I like the way it fits my hand. As far as carry goes, I have only carried it around the house in a Desantis mini slide, (still need to prove it's reliability), but it carries well and the round butt really helps with concealment.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinwoody View Post
I want one bad...thanks a lot....

Question for OneOrdinaryGuy...why do you say that your 945 isnt a 1911 type pistol??

I WANT A 1911 SC
?
Ruger P90DC, if that is what you mean and is not offered anymore, is way different than the P345.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:55 PM

I have had my new E series SC for several weeks now and have been to the range twice. Sweet shooting gun and I carry it daily in a Sparks SS11.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the post.... mine is still MIA. Waiting eagerly for it to show up so I can run about 1,000 rounds through it
Old 04-02-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
?
Ruger P90DC, if that is what you mean and is not offered anymore, is way different than the P345.
I'm sorry...I meant dakota1911
Old 04-02-2011, 12:13 PM

The grips on my Commander size 1911Sc are from Carbon Creations:

http://www.carboncreations.com/

The S&W 945 is NOT a 1911. It is sort of like a 1911 and a S&W .45 DA got together and had a kid. They come out of the S&W Performance Center and that group also does make wonderful 1911s. Good link if you don't want to drill down:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...2_757751_image

If I hit the lottery I think I would get a 6 inch 952 and see if the Performance Center to fit a second barrel in 9x23 Win, plus I would buy one of their 1911s in .45.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:09 PM

Dakota...thanks for clearing that up and the info..

I showed my wife my next gun...the pics that are posted here of the 1911 SC...there was silence...

Last edited by smokinwoody; 04-02-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:26 PM

Nice gun!

Quote:
I was content to shoot my friends and get my fix that way.
I'd hate to be you friend!
Old 04-03-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew9C1 View Post
Nice gun!

I'd hate to be you friend!
LOL...OOPs. Don't you just love the English language?