1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Taurus

Old 03-15-2011, 10:27 AM

Taurus PT 1911 9mm - first range trip and some questions

Over the weekend I put 250 rounds through a brand new stainless Taurus PT 1911 9mm. I had three ejection failures and one loading failure, all during the first 4-5 magazines. After that no failures whatsoever. I did have one instance where the gun wouldn't cock with a fresh magazine. After some trial and error I blamed it on a bad round, replaced and got on with it. Overall I'm very happy with this gun.

Two questions for those who know:

1. I've heard this gun may have an aluminum frame. Is this true? What other components, if any, are also aluminum?

2. After putting about 150 rounds through it my buddy took a turn. He fired 4-5 magazines and later told me that only 3/5 ended with the slide locked back. In other words 2/5 ended with no visual indication the magazine was empty. This surprised me because NONE of the magazines I fired that day ended with the slide locked back. If I didn't count the shots then my indicator was simply a dry firing. Is this just a matter of breaking it in? I'm surprised if it is because it almost seemed like the three magazines where it finished with the slide locked back were flukes compared to the rest of the day's shooting.

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:47 AM

First of all - a disclaimer - I am nothing close in knowledge to many of the pros you'll find here. However, I too have a new PT1911.

My PT1911 is in .45, had it for about a month, and I have fired about 1000-1200 rounds through it so far. The only bad thing I can say about this gun is that I do get occasional FTE's. I think I've gotten about 8 over 1-1.2k rounds, which is more than I'd certainly like. HOWEVER - please read this part - I have ONLY used reload ammo. I have never fired a factory fresh round through this gun, and I suspect that the ammo is 100% the cause for this issue, so I am not worried at all about the quality of the gun. This is my second Taurus semi-auto pistol and they have both been incredibly good for the cost.

I've never had the slide fail to stop on an empty mag... that's just weird, especially on a brand new gun. I'm assuming you've checked the slide stop lip & the slide stop cutaway on the slide itself - and they're not worn/rounded, right?

Also, unless your PT1911 has the letters AL on it's box/stamp/receipt etc, then it should have no aluminum parts as far as I know. One way you can test this is to simply weigh your gun on a scale that read ounces accurately, then compare its weight to the specs online. This should confirm whether it's an AL model or not.

:: EDIT :: Oh also, I had maybe 2 FTF's at first as well, however I started using Wilson Combat mags instead of the ones that come from Taurus and so far I have not had anymore FTF's. Honestly, I only bought the WC's because I wanted some more spare mags, not because I really thought the Taurus mags were the actual FTF problem. It really wouldn't surprise me or really bother me if I did see another FTF soon because, as I mentioned, I only shoot cheap reload ammo at the moment. Anyhoo... try a couple WC mags if you got $70 laying around - I like em.

Last edited by drastic; 03-15-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Banned

An all steel 1911 in 5 inch should be 38 oz roughly, but a magnet on the frame is faster. The specs for the Taurus 9 mil say steel or stainless steel. The Taurus weight specs are sometimes in the wrong box on the catalog and online.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:57 PM

I have the same model gun. The frame is definately not aluminum and I dont know of any aluminum parts inside, but I am no expert there.

The first time I took mine to the range my slide only failed to lock back on an empty mag with Federal ammo. I only ran about 4 mags of it through and I think 3 of the 4 failed to lock the slide back. Every other brand of ammo I tried, 4 different total, locked the slide back no problem. Second trip to the range even the Federal ammo locked the slide back so I am chalking that first trip to needing a little bit of a break in. I have never had any feeding, firing, or ejection issues at all.

I would suggest locking the slide back and leaving it that way for a few days and load the mags full and leave them that way as well. Shooting it is the best way to break it in, but if you cant, doing this may help a little, it did with mine.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:10 PM

That's weird... I wonder if its a 9mm issue
Old 03-16-2011, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I was mainly concerned about it being partially aluminum because I used some Gun Scrubber on it without thinking. That stuff can eat into the anodic layer on some aluminum frames. I heard it can also harm a stainless gun if there's a finishing layer present. I have no clue of this gun does.

Regarding the slide-lock issue, I'm totally baffled. I can see the level nub protruding through the frame and it looks like it should be engaging the magazine follower properly. The nub resembles a wedge with a slightly flattened point. I'm assuming it is designed that way and not flattened due to abnormal wear. I was told this gun was BNIB when I bought it.

Those first 250 rounds consisted of 100 Federal and 150 Winchester. Slide-lock failed all day long with only a few flukes where it worked. I can't blame it on the ammo. I need to put another 100 through it now that it's been partially broken in, field-stripped and cleaned. For all I know the problem is already solved.

Tonight I'll post a photo of the nub and magazine follower. You guys can tell me if anything looks amiss. Another range trip is definitely in order as well.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:36 AM

I have a few questions...

1) Is this your first 1911?

2) Were you using the Winchester White Box and Federal American Eagle "Wal-Mart" ammo?

3) What / Whose magazines were you using?

"First weigh the considerations, then take the risks." Helmuth von Moltke
Old 03-16-2011, 09:45 AM

Lockback Failure

You may want to watch how your buddy holds the gun when he shoots. I was having the same problem with my 1911. I got to looking at where my thumbs were and found that my thumb that rides on the safety was pushing my slide release when the gun recoiled. This was mostly due to the fact that my gun has an extended slide release. I was really stumped when it happened to me because it was intermittant, but after looking at my grip, and where my thumb was positioned, it was pretty evident what was going on.

Hopefully that is the problem, and not something mechanical.

Have fun,

Levi

Proverbs 3:5-6
Old 03-16-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpersend View Post
I have a few questions...

1) Is this your first 1911?
It's the first 1911 I've owned. I've fired several.

Quote:
2) Were you using the Winchester White Box and Federal American Eagle "Wal-Mart" ammo?
Sorry I told you wrong. I was looking at the Winchester website when I typed that post and inserted the wrong word. It was Remington and not Winchester. Yes the Federal was the Wal-mart stuff. I can't blame this problem on the ammo though. It persisted throughout the day regardless of which was being fired.

Quote:
3) What / Whose magazines were you using?
Well, my magazines and they came with the gun brand new.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwlark View Post
You may want to watch how your buddy holds the gun when he shoots. I was having the same problem with my 1911. I got to looking at where my thumbs were and found that my thumb that rides on the safety was pushing my slide release when the gun recoiled. This was mostly due to the fact that my gun has an extended slide release. I was really stumped when it happened to me because it was intermittant, but after looking at my grip, and where my thumb was positioned, it was pretty evident what was going on.

Hopefully that is the problem, and not something mechanical.

Have fun,

Levi
I may not have explained the problem very well, but it's sort of the opposite. The failures didn't start happening when my friend fired it. They were happening consistently up until he put 4 or 5 magazines through it and three times the slide locked-back for him. I think it was just coincidence really that two successful lock-backs happened while he was shooting.

Sorry if I've made this more complicated than it needs to be. If the failure had happened a few times early on and then sorted itself out I wouldn't even bring it up. It was too consistent to blame on ammo (of which there were two different brands) or the need for break-in.

Last edited by imhotep; 03-16-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:07 PM

It almost sounds like a really tight gun... I would put another couple hundred rounds through it or find some healthier ammo to try out... The recoil spring may be a little stiff... Will the slide lock back with all magazines if you manually cycle the slide on empty?

"First weigh the considerations, then take the risks." Helmuth von Moltke
Old 03-16-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpersend View Post
It almost sounds like a really tight gun... I would put another couple hundred rounds through it or find some healthier ammo to try out... The recoil spring may be a little stiff... Will the slide lock back with all magazines if you manually cycle the slide on empty?
That's my best guess as well at this point. Yes it does lock when I cycle the slide manually with an empty magazine.

This is the best photo I could manage of the follower engaging the lever nub:

Old 03-22-2011, 09:10 AM

At this point I'm convinced it's a combination of needing more break-in and me not gripping it tight enough....or possibly my form and/or stance. I never get lock-back on empty whereas my brother got it every time. He put four magazines through it two nights ago and finished with lock-back without fail. I picked the gun up and kept going....no lock-backs.

There's only 350 rounds through it. Time will tell if more break-in will cater to my limp-wristed form.

Otherwise absolutely no complaints. It's a great 1911 that shoots well and the ammo is easier on my wallet.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhotep View Post
my limp-wristed form.

Say whaaaa??????
Old 03-31-2011, 03:40 PM

I didn't see anyone else mention it, but the mag springs could be trash. If they aren't strong enough, the follow won't lift up fast enough to catch the slide. The only other thing is that the ammo doesn't have enough power to kick the slide back far enough. If you are using factory ammo, that shouldn't be the case. Weak springs will ruin your day. They will cause failure to feed problems and can give you a really wicked jam. I had it happen in competition. Change the springs and maybe the follower (it may not come up high enough). Chip McCormick makes good mags that work in my PT1911. Don't get the Power Mag Plus models. They redesigned the follower due to complaints about the old style grabbing sometimes on the feed ramp (it only happens when the gun jams or you paractice reloading drills without a bullet in the mag). They fixed that problem but now they won't lock the mag back consistently.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:10 PM

1911 9mm mags

imhotep,
I was on another forum and the same thing came up about empty mags not engaging slide lock. this seems to be a real problem with the 9mm mags for some reason. Call taurus and tell them about it. they will ship you some new ones.
Jerry
Old 03-31-2011, 09:16 PM

Hmmm, did you shoot the gun right out of the box? I have the 9mm and it's been perfect with WWB, Federal and Rem.
When I got mine, the gun was bone dry when I took it apart prior to shooting it. Lubed it up and away we went.
You may have one that's really tight. Mine wasn't.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:38 PM

It isn't the first time I've ever heard of mag problems with 1911 in calibers other than .45. Don't get me wrong, I've had problems with my .45 mags, but it seems the smaller the caliber the more problems. A friend of mine has a STI Trojan (I think that's the model) in 9mm. He bought some nice brand of mags that weren't STI's but they did suggest them that cost $40 and jammed on him 6 times in a match. These run amazing once the bugs are worked out.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:00 AM

Taurus 1911 9mm

I bought a Taurus 1911 9mm last week and shot it same day at the indoor range, it shot 3.5" low and to the right. I called Taurus and they said you couldn't adjust the sites so I took it back to the dealer and they tested it and sent it back to Taurus. Now the waiting game............

I've shot a Kimber 45 ACP for the last 6 months along with the Kimber 22 slide. I liked the 1911 models and had done some research on the Taurus 1911 and wanted it in a 9mm.

I haven't seen any accuracy issues online with Taurus??? This really puzzles me?
Old 04-16-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodewalker View Post
I bought a Taurus 1911 9mm last week and shot it same day at the indoor range, it shot 3.5" low and to the right. I called Taurus and they said you couldn't adjust the sites so I took it back to the dealer and they tested it and sent it back to Taurus. Now the waiting game............

I've shot a Kimber 45 ACP for the last 6 months along with the Kimber 22 slide. I liked the 1911 models and had done some research on the Taurus 1911 and wanted it in a 9mm.

I haven't seen any accuracy issues online with Taurus??? This really puzzles me?
Im assuming you had other people shoot it besides yourself, right? Did you or the dealer or anyone shoot it sandbagged?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:53 AM

Yes, they indoor range tested it on a rest, same shot pattern
Old 12-04-2012, 05:20 PM

I have a 2 week old PT1911 45 and the only thing I am not real pleased with is the heavy trigger. Smooth enough for a factory production trigger, but probably 5 to 5.5 #.

Fired about 125 rds 1st day and had issues with failure to feed. Drove me crazy until I figured out I was limp wristing. No more issues except it shoots low at 10 yds.

Tried my hardball loads and my light 200 gr H & G #68. Nice, Expect it to be even better after maybe 300 total rds. Have not tried commercial loads yet.

While it is not in the same league as my Combat Commander that Nighthawk customized, I am pleased enough for it to be my carry pistol and am ordering a 9mm. Commander will be for IDPA and USPSA.

Semper Fi

seabreeze

BTW anyone know if Novak makes a fully adjustable rear sight to replace the Novak fixed sight?

Last edited by seabreeze133; 12-04-2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: New data/question.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:28 PM

Sea,
the PT1911's and well, all Taurus firearms are packed in some type of industrial lube/adhesive that feels more like flypaper than a lube. This could be part of the problem with your 5-5 1/2 lb trigger pull. I own 1 PT1911 and have shot several others. The triggers have always been in the 3-3 1/2 lb pull.
There are adjustable rear sights available for the Taurus 1911's. They do NOT use a standard novak dovetail. You can either have the sight fitted to the Taurus or have the Taurus remachined to accept a standard Novak cutout.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:58 PM

Novac makes a adjustable rear site for Taurus. It is not listed on their website you need to call and ask for it.