1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 03-11-2011, 07:08 PM

Need Instructions How To Change Firing Pin Spring On MY Super Carry Pro

Have a fairly new Super Carry Pro. Have a 1000 rounds through it at this point. Was suggested that I change the recoil spring which I just did with a Wolf spring I purchased a month ago. It also came with a firing pin spring. Should I change that also? If so can someone post the steps on how to do that. Nothing in the owners manual on changing the firing pin spring...in fact nothing about breaking the weapon down past the field stripping stage for cleaning. Looking at the slide that houses the firing pin assembly it is not really clear at all how it comes apart.....no bolts, screws, cotter pins (hey I'm a car guy)..just kidding. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:28 PM

Ok Kruzr, help me if I mis-speak

Step 1: Remove the slide just like you normally would, de-spring etc.

Step 2: Use a small tool to depress the Firing Pin until you can slide the Firing Pin Stop off a little. Then remove the Firing Pin Stop all the way. You may need to also depredd the Firing Pin Safety to get enough of a push in.

Even though your Firing Pin Safety should keep your Firing Pin from flying out at this point, I still keep my hand cupped over the Firing Pin just in case.

Step 3: With your hand cupped over the Firing Pin, use a finger or your small tool to depress the Firing Pin Safety Plunger (the small roundish thing protruding fromt he under-side of the slide at the firing pin end of things. This will release your firing pin if you haben't already done so.

Step 4: Once the Firing Pin is released, simply pull it out rearward. The firing pin spring will come with it.

Step 5: Run a q-Tip with cleaner on it into the Firing Pin slot making sure to blow out any crud... get er nice and clean... then lube.

Step 6: With a firm grip at the base of the firing pin spring, simply pull it off of the Firing Pin.

Step 7: Making sure to note the end of the Firing Pin Spring with a "double coil", slide the new spring onto the Firing Pin, noting it gets snug down towards the bottom... keep pushing it on until it's on all the way.

Step 8: Clean and Lube it up and re-install.

Step 9: Push the firing pin in until the firing pin safety holds it in. Again you may need to depress the Firing Pin Safety in a bit to get it over the "hump".

Step 10: Replace the firing pin stop, then simultaneously push in the firing pin and the firing pin safety until you can slide the firing pin stop over the firing pin and seat it in the hole. (This is the most difficult part of the process and requires a couple tries to get the nack of it). If you rocket your pin, watch where it lands

That should be it... it's not nearly as tough as it sounds!

For a small tool, I use a Dentist's thingy... it's not sharp but more of a blunt tapper thing... it works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundhd View Post
Have a fairly new Super Carry Pro. Have a 1000 rounds through it at this point. Was suggested that I change the recoil spring which I just did with a Wolf spring I purchased a month ago. It also came with a firing pin spring. Should I change that also? If so can someone post the steps on how to do that. Nothing in the owners manual on changing the firing pin spring...in fact nothing about breaking the weapon down past the field stripping stage for cleaning. Looking at the slide that houses the firing pin assembly it is not really clear at all how it comes apart.....no bolts, screws, cotter pins (hey I'm a car guy)..just kidding. Any help would be appreciated.

"If you don't want the Chili to burn, stir it!" ~ Me

Last edited by Todd-OR; 03-11-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:31 PM

Steps 2 and 9 and 10 above apply to Series 80 guns. Series 70 do not have the firing pin safety so the steps are simpler. BUT, be careful when you remove the Stop as the pin may want to scamper under the cabinet!

Last edited by williamd; 03-11-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:43 PM

Todd pretty much had it if it were a Series II gun.

(This is a Kimber so talk of Series 70 or Series 80 doesn't apply.)

The Super Carry does not have the Series II safety so there is no plunger to depress to get the firing pin out. The bad news is that without it, there is nothing to capture the firing pin once the stop plate is down so it will want to come flying out.

Here is how I do it.
Take a punch about the size of the firing pin and push the pin far enough in so it is not still in the firing pin stop plate.

With the punch still holding in the firing pin, pull down on the punch to start the firing pin stop plate moving down.

Once the firing pin stop plate partially covers the firing pin you keep pulling the stop plate down with the punch in the hole. As you start to uncover the firing pin, put your thumb there so it doesn't fly across the room.

Take the plate out and remove the firing pin.

When you reassemble, you have to make sure the slot in the extractor is lined up to allow you to slip the firing pin stop plate back up. I use a small screwdriver to make sure the extractor is rotated to the right position.

I then start the stop plate up until it hits the firing pin. I then push in the firing pin and push up on the stop plate. The firing pin will snap into place in the stop plate when you get it far enough up.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:06 PM

I'll add, all those steps (except what doesn't apply to a non-Swatrz gun as Kruzr pointed out) are actually very simple. Once you do it, you'll do a face palm then next time, you'll have it done in about 45 seconds.

And to answer the first question, Wolff is the spring experts (Kimber must trust them to get all their springs from them) so I have no idea why they provides the FP spring, but I've never questioned it, I just replace it submitting that they must know what they're doing by sending one with the recoil spring.

You're probably done by now, but if not, good luck.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-11-2011, 09:36 PM

here's a video that illustrates how you strip the gun and remove the firing pin on a Kimber Ultra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM_ujo2dtj0

Go to timeindex 03:50 just to see the part about removing the firing pin.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:09 AM

Dangit!

How many Non-Schwartz Kimbers are out there anyway? (Aside from series I's?)

Of course I had to miss that little detail LOL

"If you don't want the Chili to burn, stir it!" ~ Me
Old 03-12-2011, 02:17 AM

1000 rounds is kind of soon to wear out a set of springs isnt it?

Dan Wesson Valor 09 Valor #46 Cotep #184
Old 03-12-2011, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
It would be for a Gov't size but the factory replacement interval on a Pro recoil spring is 800 rounds with the factory spring. I usually don't change firing pin springs at every recoil spring change. Maybe every other one.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:24 AM

Well, while I was at the range going though my 1000th round I did have one problem with a round not feeding correctly...thought it was a mag problem but thinking about it, the round that jammed was the 5th round in the mag (any mag feeding problems I had in the past were with the last round in the mags) and after reading about a worn out recoil spring causing those type of problems and being past the 800th round point (where the manual says to replace the recoil spring) and was suggested that if I waited any longer it could cause cracks in the slide I decided it was time to change both springs thus my posting here for instructions on changing the firing pin spring which I was able to do with the help of those who posted replies to this posting.....everything is back together and seems to be working properly.

Thanks again for everyone's help & advice

PS: The link to the Utube Kimber videos were very interesting also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
Old 04-14-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-OR View Post
How many Non-Schwartz Kimbers are out there anyway? (Aside from series I's?)

Of course I had to miss that little detail LOL
The Warrior, Dessert Warrior, SIS (no longer produced), and the Super Carry models all are "Series I"
Old 04-14-2011, 06:28 PM

All models with "II" after model name have the Swartz system.
Proverbs 29:10 Bloodthirsty men hate a man of integrity and seek to kill the upright.