1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Blade Forum

Old 03-08-2011, 09:34 PM

How did I do?

Hello everyone. New guy here. Thought I would post a pic and see how I did on a knife I bought today. I have been looking and reading about Randall knives, but for the most part they are out of my price range. I had just decided to buy a Blackjack model 14, when a friend of mine told me that he had received a Randall 14 as a gift when he left Iraq a couple years ago. Anyway he had no use for it, but he did know that it had some value. Anyway he sold it to me for 425.00. A couple hundred more than the Blackjack but it is a Randall. Anyway I thought it might be the best chance I was ever going to get at one. So what do you think.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_7926CR2.JPG  
Old 03-08-2011, 09:36 PM

Uber-congrats. I'm jealous.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:22 PM

Beautiful knife; what type of stone came with it?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:29 PM

The stone is a salmon color. It says fine india, made in USA on it. Also has a padded case that says Randall made knives Orlando Florida on it.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:39 AM

Anyway I thought it might be the best chance I was ever going to get at one.

You can order all kinds of knives from Randall for around that price, you just have to have the patience to wait the 5 years.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:05 AM

My #1 will be here in 4.5 years!

Allen
Old 03-09-2011, 08:54 AM

LOL, yes I know, but I am not that patient. Not even sure I will be alive in five years. However now that I have one, I might take the chance and order another, ha.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Holmes Sr View Post
My #1 will be here in 4.5 years!

Allen
Perhaps I will beat you by a month!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:17 PM

Thats about the same money I'm paying for my Model 1 to be delivered in Sep of 2013 after 58 months IIRC.
I will have to get by with Ek, Ka-Bar, Blackjack, and at the top of the rack the $9.99 Cheaper than Dirt star of KNIFETEST.com destruction test.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:55 PM

What do you think of that Blackjack? I have been thinking of getting one myself. I have not been able to find anything negative about them.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:22 PM

that is a good lookin' pigsticker! Congrats!
Old 03-15-2011, 07:10 PM

I have to ask, is the wait time seriously 5-years!? The reason I ask is because a few years ago, my father decided to sell a Randall he had (I believe from the 70's) with a sheathe for ~$1,200. I told him not to sell it...damnit.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:12 PM

From the factory, 5 years. Of course you can pay almost twice as much if you buy from a dealer or on the internet. I'll wait and hope I live that long.

Allen
Old 03-16-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDTHEBIRDMAN View Post
What do you think of that Blackjack? I have been thinking of getting one myself. I have not been able to find anything negative about them.
I think the BlackJack is outstanding. I bought about 10 or twelve of them over the years. Convex grind. The Sharpshooter sheathes supplied with them make are the best I have seen on a commercially distributed knife. I do a little leather work myself and I do not think anyone working leather today would make that sheath for much less than 100 bucks. No need for a stone pouch with the convex. The tool steel is tough. I have given them as gifts to very special people. I am down to the leather 7" and a black micarta 5". The 5" micarta is the answer to one of those questions posted "If stuff hits the fan, and you have to use your 1911 on somebodyto get the last knife on earth , what kind of knife do you hope he has, er had."
Old 03-18-2011, 03:38 PM

You did about average on the Randall, they go from $400 to $550 from private parties, if your happy with it then you did great.

I've known Mike Stewart (Blackjack, EK, Marbles, Bark River) since he was with Les De Asis (Benchmade) in Pacific Cutlery here in Los Angeles. Mike is known for his edge. The BJ affordable copies of Randall knives are fantastic and were hard to beat at the prices. These days they are getting a bit scarce.

Mike
Old 03-20-2011, 07:34 AM

Thanks for the info guys. The Blackjack #5, as well as the #125, are growing on me.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:08 PM

The good things in life

You did great! Now go out and use it. While the catalog lists those prices, it's hard to find one from a private source and as stated in the other posts, the waiting period is intolerable. Most will tell you to hold onto it, don't use it, it will go up in value, all that is true, but to get the most out of a Randall, you have to use it. I also got a great deal on a model 25 Trapper, it became my most treasured, but used hunting knife. It goes with me on every adventure.
Congratulations, good luck with it.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:26 PM

Any Randall is a beautiful thing....

"I believe it was Shaw who said Winter is not a season; it's an occupation."

"You're disturbing what's left of my brain." - Jack Rebney
Old 04-24-2011, 05:49 PM

What you got a heck of a good deal on is a Randall Made Model 14 "Attack" with sawteeth, stainless steel blade and green micarta handle. If you want to get a good idea of what that knife will sell for on any given day, check on Ebay for Randall knife. You'll be AMAZED!

Congrats, I hope you enjoy it!!!!

Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association
www.combatvet.org