1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-05-2011, 08:47 PM
rebrick99 rebrick99 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4
Need power pistol 45acp load




I'am looking for a 850-860fps .45acp load using a 230gr cast rn lead bullet and power pistol. I want this load for a 1911 5" government model. Need actual velocity chronographed from 5" barrel.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-05-2011, 09:57 PM
RickRope RickRope is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MI
Age: 45
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebrick99 View Post
I'am looking for a 850-860fps .45acp load using a 230gr cast rn lead bullet and power pistol. I want this load for a 1911 5" government model. Need actual velocity chronographed from 5" barrel.
Velocities differ barrel to barrel. A load that is 850 in my barrel may only be 830 in yours.

1. Buy a reloading manual.
2. Buy a chronograph.

I would start at about 5.5gr and work it up.

Last edited by RickRope; 03-05-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-05-2011, 11:27 PM
orrwdd orrwdd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Rigby, Idaho
Age: 65
Posts: 2,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRope View Post
Velocities differ barrel to barrel. A load that is 850 in my barrel may only be 830 in yours.

1. Buy a reloading manual.
2. Buy a chronograph.

I would start at about 5.5gr and work it up.
+1 to what RickRope said. You don't want to get surprises if your rounds get chronographed at an out of town match.

Bill
__________________
SMSgt, USAF (ret)
NRA Life Member
IDPA Member, Shooter, Safety Officer
Utah & Enhanced Idaho CWP holder
COTEP# CBOB0476
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Hammerdown77 Hammerdown77 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 1,050
Alliant emailed me the range they recommended for lead 230 gr bullets, and it was 6.0 to 6.5.

I load a LOT of Power Pistol in semi-auto and revolver. I loaded a range under a 230 gr. LRN from 6.5 to 7.4 grains. I also asked Alliant whether or not the loads above 7 were in +P territory, and they said they might be close.

6.5 to 7 "feels" about like commercially available ball ammo in the 850 fps range. My gun liked the 7 grain load the best, but when I ran it over the chrono it was only showing around 800 fps avg. I'd like to run the chrono again on an overcast day (the sun wasn't in an ideal position the first time) to verify those results, though.

Here's 5 shots offhand, standing two-hand hold at 35 feet with the 7 grain load. That's a 1-inch paster:


Interestingly, my M&P45 like the 7.4 grain load the best, but that same load out of my lightweight 1911 (pictured above) was just painful. I was running an 18.5 lb. recoil spring, and my trigger finger was getting bashed on the trigger guard with each shot.

I personally would not go much past 7 grains.

These loads proved safe in my guns, I assume no responsibility if they don't in yours. Start at 6 and work up!
__________________
Harrison Custom Springfield Lightweight Gov't
Springfield MC Operator
1991 Colt Commander Stainless
Colt New Agent, TRADED
Springfield Gov't custom mystery gun

Last edited by Hammerdown77; 03-06-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Rifter's Avatar
Rifter Rifter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Posts: 4,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown77 View Post
Alliant emailed me the range they recommended for lead 230 gr bullets, and it was 6.0 to 6.5.

I load a LOT of Power Pistol in semi-auto and revolver. I loaded a range under a 230 gr. LRN from 6.5 to 7.4 grains. I also asked Alliant whether or not the loads above 7 were in +P territory, and they said they might be close.

6.5 to 7 "feels" about like commercially available ball ammo in the 850 fps range. My gun liked the 7 grain load the best, but when I ran it over the chrono it was only showing around 800 fps avg. I'd like to run the chrono again on an overcast day (the sun wasn't in an ideal position the first time) to verify those results, though.

Here's 5 shots offhand, standing two-hand hold at 35 feet with the 7 grain load. That's a 1-inch paster:


Interestingly, my M&P45 like the 7.4 grain load the best, but that same load out of my lightweight 1911 (pictured above) was just painful. I was running an 18.5 lb. recoil spring, and my trigger finger was getting bashed on the trigger guard with each shot.

I personally would not go much past 7 grains.

These loads proved safe in my guns, I assume no responsibility if they don't in yours. Start at 6 and work up!
Hammer, are those sights factory issue, or did you have them installed? They are exactly the style I'm looking for.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Hammerdown77 Hammerdown77 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 1,050
Those are custom sights that John Harrison installed for me. The front, I believe, is an MGW blank that he shaped, then had a Trijicon bulb installed in. The rear is one of his proprietary sights, which you can buy off his website

www.harrisoncustom.com
__________________
Harrison Custom Springfield Lightweight Gov't
Springfield MC Operator
1991 Colt Commander Stainless
Colt New Agent, TRADED
Springfield Gov't custom mystery gun
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Nick A Nick A is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 12,390
Some self research

I know the online Alliant Reloader's Guide has limited data for Power Pistol, but here's how to get a whole lot more from Alliant online. This works for most of their powders.
  • Go to the Alliant home page.
  • Don't go to the Reloader's guide.
  • Click the pulldown menu button "Products".
  • Click the type of powder, in this case Handgun.
  • (Note: Some handgun powders are listed under shotgun.)
  • Click on the powder you want, in this case Power Pistol.
  • Find the blue text, "View All Power Pistol Recipes".
You will get an astounding list of cartridges with Power Pistol recipes.
Probably 10 times as many recipes compared to the online Reloader's Guide.
You can also get their printed manual, which also has more data.

In this expanded list, it only has jacketed and plated bullets for Power Pistol,
simply because they view PP as more than a plinking powder.
But you will see that they list some rather heavy loads.
Compare these to your other books, like Lyman Pistol & Revolver.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Nick A Nick A is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 12,390
By the way...

The printed Alliant manual for 2011 is now available in PDF format.

Download by clicking Resources on the home page.
Then click Reloader's Guide.
It gives you the option of downloading pdf, or hard copy by mail.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Hammerdown77 Hammerdown77 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
I know the online Alliant Reloader's Guide has limited data for Power Pistol, but here's how to get a whole lot more from Alliant online. This works for most of their powders.
  • Go to the Alliant home page.
  • Don't go to the Reloader's guide.
  • Click the pulldown menu button "Products".
  • Click the type of powder, in this case Handgun.
  • (Note: Some handgun powders are listed under shotgun.)
  • Click on the powder you want, in this case Power Pistol.
  • Find the blue text, "View All Power Pistol Recipes".
You will get an astounding list of cartridges with Power Pistol recipes.
Probably 10 times as many recipes compared to the online Reloader's Guide.
You can also get their printed manual, which also has more data.

In this expanded list, it only has jacketed and plated bullets for Power Pistol,
simply because they view PP as more than a plinking powder.
But you will see that they list some rather heavy loads.
Compare these to your other books, like Lyman Pistol & Revolver.
Or, you could just send them an email like I did

They were very quick to respond, forthcoming with infomartion (he gave me loads for other cast lead bullets as well, without my asking), and were eager to hear of my results once I finished accuracy and chronograph testing.

Power Pistol is a great powder, and I use it more than any other. I wish Alliant published more cast bullet loads using it, especially for revolvers, but I've obtained much of my revolver load info from Brian Pearce articles in "Handloader", and from WESHOOT2's advice.
__________________
Harrison Custom Springfield Lightweight Gov't
Springfield MC Operator
1991 Colt Commander Stainless
Colt New Agent, TRADED
Springfield Gov't custom mystery gun

Last edited by Hammerdown77; 03-06-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-06-2011, 04:32 PM
JSH JSH is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 31
6.5 gr gave me 825 average in one 1911 and 840 in the other. 10 shot strings with a standard deviation around 9 fps, very consistent. This was between 25-35 degrees F. I'm not sure how temperature sensitive Power Pistol is, I'll run some more this summer to find out. Both 5 inch barrels and seated to 1.260 with a Winchester Large Pistol primer in Winchester brass. This was with a Lyman 452374 cast bullet (nominally 225gr but lubed up mine are just under 230gr).
Power Pistol has the advantage of being very clean burning as well but seems a bit "flashy" to me with muzzle flash and blast seeming more significant that other powders I use.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-06-2011, 06:58 PM
iLift45s iLift45s is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pa
Age: 40
Posts: 342
+ 1 for Power Pistol! I use this in my 9mm and going to start using it for my 45 I just picked up. Remington 185 jhp. Looking forward to seeing how tight of a group my TRP will produce.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-07-2011, 05:48 AM
WESHOOT2 WESHOOT2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Vermont (Caspian country)
Age: 59
Posts: 15,267
crazy chrono

Same-lot ammo, same day, near-exact conditions, many varied 1911s (the day was designed for testing someone's new 6" 1911) and other 45ACP-chambered guns.

What did we learn?

We learned that the 'slowest' gun was the new sixer, 'slower' than even my 4.25" Witness. Slower than his 5".
The same ammo lot varied over 100fps between fastest and slowest 1911s.

"UNLESS YOU TEST YOU GUESS"
__________________
'
"all my ammo is mostly-retired factory ammo"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2011 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved