1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Competitive Shooting

Old 03-05-2011, 01:29 PM

Best 9mm double stack 1911 ?

Hey all,

Looking to upgrade from an M&P to a double stack 1911 for games. Local matches are mostly informal, so the 9mm thing won't be too big of a deal breaker. looking to keep shooting cost down as much as possible, since I don't yet load.

I was wondering what's the best way to go about it? I like the 2011 (think STI Edge) but the price sticker is scary.

I also like caspian double stacks, but don't know anything about them.

I'm also not an idiot (despite what my gf/family/friends/coworkers say) so I wouldn't be too scared to buy parts and put one together myself.

Let me know what you think!
Old 03-05-2011, 01:33 PM

I think if you are going double-stack for competition, the STI would be high on the list.

You could probably build something yourself but for it to be reliable and accurate, you will spend at least as much as for the STI.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:33 PM

If you've got the bucks go with STI for a double stack 9mm or maybe a 40 S&W (40 makes major power factor in SS and Limited).

If you are on a tight budget check out a new (or used) Para P18-9. I was looking to replace my G35 with a heavier frame gun, but I couldn't afford a new or used STI for Limited division, so I picked up a used Para double stack in 40 S&W (P16-40 Limited). I did a little work on it myself and got it just the way I wanted. In the end it cost me half the price of an STI. I'm happy with it so far. If money were not an issue I would have gone with the STI.

Last edited by wmspdi; 03-05-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:39 PM

I know you said 1911, but the CZ 75 SA in 9MM is a fantastic shooting gun, and will run you a small fraction of what a double stack 1911 will cost.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:51 PM

Old 03-05-2011, 06:49 PM

A bushinged Eagle will work for IDPA too.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
What is that?!?!!!

and can I has it?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:33 AM

it's just a STI Edge, Dawson FO front sight, Limcat magwell and Infinity ITS trigger.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:35 AM

It's an STI, possibly an Edge model. They start at about $1800. Dawson Precision will sell you one set up and ready to go for about $2200. That's pretty much the doublestack by which all others are measured.

Edited - Quack got back to you sooner.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:11 AM

High $ Double Stack !

Steviesterno-

Steve, If you are new to pistol games, choose wisely, The Edge you mentioned not good in IDPA dust cover extends to the end of the slide/barrel.
STI Eagle will work in IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge and others. By way of what you install on the pistol, each has it's own rules. Read the RULES in the game you have an intrest.

Magazines cost and some require tuning by high dollar gunsmith, you will have $100 Plus in same each. Shoot Steel Challenge you need 5- five.

Maybe pick up a used G34 or G35 to shoot until you decide which/what sport you wanna shoot in.

THEN!! when you start reloading maybe another $1000 for reloader, tools and supplies. Reloading has to be done very carefully, safely, and right if you like all your fingers.

About $5000 will get you all set for pistol sports + PLUS Gasoline, Club Dues, Entry Fees.

Have FUN be SAFE,

Perry
Old 03-06-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
Hey all,

Looking to upgrade from an M&P to a double stack 1911 for games.
As a USPSA shooter, an expensive 2011 in 9mm makes no sense. I don't shoot much steel and it's been so long since I shot IDPA that I've almost thought about shooting another match. I personally would do some serious thinking before plunkin' down several grand for a gun in 9. OTOH... the M&P should be good to go for just about anything.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:31 AM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsay View Post
As a USPSA shooter, an expensive 2011 in 9mm makes no sense.
Limited minor is a lot of fun and makes you focus on getting the good hits. I dont think I have shot Limited Major in 3+ years. And shooting 9 is much cheaper than 40...
Old 03-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
Limited minor is a lot of fun and makes you focus on getting the good hits. I dont think I have shot Limited Major in 3+ years. And shooting 9 is much cheaper than 40...
Lemme rephrase, if you will. I think you are handicapped more often than not. Maybe a few extra in the mag saves an occasional reload but the loss of points in the long run, is a deal killer... IMO

Buddy of mine had the nicest 2011 in 9 I've ever seen. STI gun... I won't mention the builder. I passed on a great deal because of the caliber. Ended up going to a steel shooter in Florida.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:45 PM

Short dust cover and bushing barrel is the way to go for a doublestack 1911, IMO.

It can be used in IDPA ESP, USPSA Limited (Minor), and is a great fit for Steel Challenge as well.

The absence of the extra muzzle weight makes very little difference with the recoil of 9mm, at least in my hands.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:26 PM

STI doublestack

Steviesterno:

I have mentioned this several times on the forum, but if you haven't read my threads, here is the gist. I have an STI race gun for Open class, but wanted another for Limited. I ordered an STI 2011 frame with the Wilson/Nolin ramp cut, and already had an old .38super slide that wasn't being used. I opened the breech face .30" with a Dremel carbide cutter bit and an extension tool I made that was chucked up in my Rockwell drill press. It took all of 20 minutes to open the breech face to allow a .40 S&W brass to slide up the breech face. I then ordered and fitted a Bar Sto bull barrel. The gun has proven very reliable and accurate. After I had built the STI Limited gun, I started shooting IDPA with a single stack .45. I then decided to fit a 9mm ramped barrel to my STI Limited gun to shoot in the ESP class. I ordered a Kart barrel and a bushing, and hand fitted this as well. I then purchased three 121mm length 9mm mags. The STI in 9mm has also proven very accurate and reliable, and I can't remember the last time I had a jam in a match (knock on wood!). A year or so later, just for fun, I fitted a .38super barrel to the same gun. So now I have one STI that is a true multi gun. I can exchange the barrel mags and ejector, for three different calibers. I use the .40 Bar Sto bull barrel when shooting Limited in USPSA, and the 9mm Kart barrel and bushing for shooting IDPA in the ESP class. The 9mm is a very cost efficient round to reload, since brass is plentiful. If you already have good gunsmithing skills, there is no reason why you couldn't build your own STI and make it a multi gun. My .38 super slide that I opened to allow the .40 S&W cartridge to function works flawlessly for both 9mm and .40 when you have the extractors tweaked to the proper tension. I also swap out the extractors when I change barrels. I believe you can make your own STI from parts for about $1,300. Since I already had a slide, I had about $1,000 in my STI Limited gun. Good luck! Rich
Old 03-07-2011, 10:45 PM

I say get some extended basepads and stick with the M&P. It makes no sense to me to buy a $$$ gun specifically for USPSA in 9mm, even more so when you don't have a reloading press. Get a Dillon 550 and 10,000 rounds instead.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:52 AM

winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by waktasz View Post
I say get some extended basepads and stick with the M&P. It makes no sense to me to buy a $$$ gun specifically for USPSA in 9mm, even more so when you don't have a reloading press. Get a Dillon 550 and 10,000 rounds instead.
Spend money on XL650 and components. The savings (ha! ay?) will permit more gun purchases down the road (again: ha! ay?).