1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 03-01-2011, 08:19 PM

Metro Arms Amigo vs. American Classic Amigo

Has anyone actually seen either of these pistols yet in person? What's the difference in two pistols other than different roll marks on the slide?

http://metroarms.net/MAC

http://www.americanclassic1911.com/amigo-model.html
Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 PM

ipscgun,
Not to hijack your thread but in the links both pistols look the same however, the MAC lists a 3" barrel whilst the AC lists a 3.5" barrel. Do you know which is correct?
Old 03-01-2011, 09:38 PM

I didn't notice the barrel length difference. Good catch on your part. Although, they both look exactly the same length in the photos. Curiously, the Metro Arms Corporation website shows both the MAC Amigo and the American Classic Amigo. The American Classic website shows only the American Classic Amigo.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:58 AM

Last I heard, the Amigo is in the hands of the ATF waiting for whatever they do before an import can be released for sale. Hopes are it'll be released in the next month or so.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:48 PM

Seems like this pistol would be a "no brainer" for ATF, etc. to approve. Afterall, the basic design has been around a few years. Not like there's a 40 round magazine hanging off the thing or something equally "sinister" like a flash suppressor, accessory rail or bayonet lug.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:12 PM

i think the 3.5" barrel is correct, basing that off of the OAL and the springfield sizing.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:39 AM

I just thought that one was an export ?
Old 03-06-2011, 06:16 AM
Banned

Metro Arms makes excellent pistols for the price,but couldn't they make the billboard any bigger?

I mean c'mon,are gun owners taste's really that tacky?

DAT85
Old 03-06-2011, 11:47 AM

DAT85,
I agree. I prefer minimal markings on slides and frames. The cleaner the look, the better for me. The "MAC" logo is way too large for the abbreviated size of the Amigo slide.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekarra View Post
ipscgun,
Not to hijack your thread but in the links both pistols look the same however, the MAC lists a 3" barrel whilst the AC lists a 3.5" barrel. Do you know which is correct?
The MAC also seems to have a magwell not found on the AC Amigo.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:00 PM

nightmares coming!

I have two metro arms, a firestorm deluxe, serial number <200 and an AC commander in blue. I just want to say that the MAC and SPS series are some of the ugliest pistols i have seen in my 56 years. I hope i don't have nightmares tonight.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:10 PM

They are the same company with Metro being the incorporated name. Started by a competitive shooter in the PI named Hector Rodriguez. Came to first SHOT show in 2008.

I just picked up an Amigo and will give full range report as I break it in.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:08 AM

So, the first 50 rounds went through it like butter - no issue at all, but the main spring seemed a little soft. I had a FTL the first and last round somewhere in the middle of the next 50. Then all Hell broke loose. I had repeated failure to fully chamber, FTL of last and first round and on my last magazine, every single round had to be hand cycled with the slide.

I left the lane and took it to the bench for field stripping. The main spring seems to have lost it's temper and can be mashed between my thump and forefinger. The barrel bushing was stuck after what seems to have been a frame strike. I pressed it out with a little trouble and found it deformed slightly. I handed it over to the shop smith (1911 man) and he mentioned that he has heard that some people replace the spring right away. Will take it out again after the slight work and post results. Still like the pistola.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:18 AM

Got my Amigo back on Friday. My gunsmith threw the spring away and replaced it with a Commander spring cut down to 14 coils. The bushing was replaced and the new one fitted with a little buffing compound. He smoothed the throat, slightly adjusted the extractor spring and trigger pull. Man, the trigger breaks like a sheet of glass now. Anyway, he ran 22 rounds threw it and I put another 285 (Blazer and Wally World Winchester) down range without even wiping the thing off. I only had one FTL and once the slide did not come fully forward. I had to give it an 1/8" push, but both of these issues happened after 250 rounds of dirty, dirty ammo and were due to all the gunk I am sure.

I brought it home, stripped it down, cleaned it thoroughly, lubed it up and will put another 100 through it next week to see how it does, but I think everything will be just fine. Even when filthy and hot, I had 2" ragged holes at 5 meters.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:04 AM

sweet

Last edited by combatives1911; 01-17-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Deschain View Post
Got my Amigo back on Friday. My gunsmith threw the spring away and replaced it with a Commander spring cut down to 14 coils. The bushing was replaced and the new one fitted with a little buffing compound. He smoothed the throat, slightly adjusted the extractor spring and trigger pull. Man, the trigger breaks like a sheet of glass now. Anyway, he ran 22 rounds threw it and I put another 285 (Blazer and Wally World Winchester) down range without even wiping the thing off. I only had one FTL and once the slide did not come fully forward. I had to give it an 1/8" push, but both of these issues happened after 250 rounds of dirty, dirty ammo and were due to all the gunk I am sure.

I brought it home, stripped it down, cleaned it thoroughly, lubed it up and will put another 100 through it next week to see how it does, but I think everything will be just fine. Even when filthy and hot, I had 2" ragged holes at 5 meters.
I bought a Amigo today just on a whim while at the gun store. It looked and felt nice and the guy at the shop had nothing but good things to say about it. I had never heard of this brand but I took a chance knowing that since it was a 1911 I could always swap parts.

After I got back to work I did some research and found this thread so when I got home the first thing I did was to take out the mainspring and recoil spring and replace them. First thing I noticed is that the stock springs were about 1/2 the diameter of the Wilson combat springs I had. No wonder they don't last long, maybe the Wilson springs will last.

Not sure when I'll get a chance to get to the range, but I'll update as soon as I do. I also picked up a ruger LCR .357mag yesterday, so I've got 2 new guns to try
Old 12-24-2012, 09:20 PM

Metro Arms is American Classic and vice versa...

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson