1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 02-28-2011, 07:27 PM

Full length vs. 2 piece guide rods

I feel kind of silly asking this but what are the real differences between Full length and 2 piece guide rods?

Are there situations where one is better than the other?

What are the reasons for the two different types?

Just trying to learn.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:37 PM

I really don't know what precipitated the two piece. I lock together and shorten them to the one piece length. Then no need to take apart. I would only buy the one piece design.

LOG

Old 02-28-2011, 07:45 PM

My full size 1911, has the full length, 1 piece, I was just wondering what the reasoning is for the 2 piece.

Someone must actually prefer them, I just want to hear why and the advantages or disadvantages of both, just because I'm curious.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:45 PM

FWIW & IMHO, as a general rule, the 2 piece FLGR is easier to disassemble than a 1 piece FLGR, but can come loose if you don't keep an eye on it. I do believe that some people lock-tite them.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:53 PM

I've never understood why a two piece could be easier. For the one piece you push in the plug and turn the bushing. For the two piece you take out the end half and then do the same as the one piece, push in the plug and turn the bushing. I like the one piece and drill them so they can be captured and taken out the back. Now with the pictures again.

LOG

Last edited by log man; 02-28-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:33 PM

So that's the difference? They do the exact same thing?

I was just wondering because I don't think the 1 piece is all that difficult, so just wanted to know why some manufactures include two piece rather than a one piece.

It seems trivial to me, ease of breaking down is the sole reason.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:37 PM

I've had two-piece rods come unscrewed. Don't own one now. In most of my guns I've changed the one piece to a standard GI rod/plug.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:38 PM

A one piece in my experience requires a bushing wrench to remove the recoil guide. The same is required when re-installing. With a 2-piece just unscrew the guide and remove the spring/guide as you would with a standard GI guide/plug.

-1911Collector

"You have a pretty face. Do you speak Spanish? ...you have a face como un burro." Gru.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:50 PM

o.k. so there are 3 types:
one piece, One piece GI, and a two piece.

Whats the difference between the one piece and the GI?
Old 02-28-2011, 09:05 PM

The G.I. plug was the original design. Its greatest attribute is that it works and works well and that it requires no additional tools for disassembly. The one piece and two piece full length guide rods are supposed to provide better accuracy, improved reliability, reduce recoil and prevent binding/wear of the recoil spring. I have never seen any evidence that would prove any of these claims. In short it appears to be a perfect solution to a problem that just doesnt exist. I would suggest sticking with the G.I. plug it has worked without fail for 100 years.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carry45 View Post
o.k. so there are 3 types:
one piece, One piece GI, and a two piece.

Whats the difference between the one piece and the GI?
I believe the 1-pc people are referring to here is also a (near) full length. The GI is a stubby, leaving part of the recoil spring unsupported from the inside. When thinking of the standard disassembly by depressing the plug and spinning the bushing.. The two piece, full length guide rod is too long to allow the bushing to spin without removing the front part. The one piece is shorter by the thickness of the bushing (or so), so you can depress the plug and spin the bushing. This of course doesn't encompass all types.. Ron

Disclaimer.. I just noticed this thread was in the GS section. I know a good GS, but that's about as close as I can claim.. (i.e. little knowledge on my part and I don't even stay at motels.. LOL)

Last edited by Kokopelli; 02-28-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:48 AM

I have had my 2pc come loose once. I didn't tighten it when reassembling it.

they work well; 400 rds in a few hours with no issues when the weapon was new out of , and none yet (assuming I tighten it...)

Rich.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
My full size 1911, has the full length, 1 piece, I was just wondering what the reasoning is for the 2 piece.

Someone must actually prefer them, I just want to hear why and the advantages or disadvantages of both, just because I'm curious.
in any invention, modifications are done or discovered later for improvement. sample is the incandescent bulb among others. the 1- piece recoil spring guide rod now is an improvement. more easier to remove if you have a bull barrel or a bushingless barrel.

Last edited by clg3152010; 03-01-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:46 AM

Ok, so for a straight up 1911 with the usual endowments, a Full length GI guide rod is what we know works time and time again and it makes no sense to switch.

The other guide rods were really built just to have a product to sale, They do not add any accuracy, they don't really make take down any easier, and they don't add any reliability.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Ok, so for a straight up 1911 with the usual endowments, a Full length GI guide rod is what we know works time and time again and it makes no sense to switch.

The other guide rods were really built just to have a product to sale, They do not add any accuracy, they don't really make take down any easier, and they don't add any reliability.
A Full length GI rod, does not exist.
There are one piece FLGR, two piece FLGR, and the GI rod and plug. They all work fine. A FLGR of either type does continuously support the spring and can smooth cycling. They also add weight at the muzzle end. Use or not is up to the user. Due to the head registering in the frame abutment and the rod in the slide they can help cycle alignment.

LOG

Old 03-01-2011, 12:22 PM

Thanks Log Man,

Now the differences make sense to me.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:53 PM

I don't understand what it hard about removing a FLGR. It just comes out. I've never struggled with it for a second.
It is bad to have to fight. It is worse to have to fight and lose.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:05 PM

I've found the two piece guide rods are time savers. They begin to self disassemble even before you touch them.

I shot with one that came with one of my Springers one time before I changed it. In that case, I was able to field strip it without using the allen wrench for the guide rod.......
Old 03-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Banned

The guide rod debate. Is there no end in sight?
Old 03-01-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzr View Post
I've found the two piece guide rods are time savers. They begin to self disassemble even before you touch them.

I shot with one that came with one of my Springers one time before I changed it. In that case, I was able to field strip it without using the allen wrench for the guide rod.......
That's the new Self cleaing springfield model isn't it, you shoot it until it field strips itself
Old 03-01-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milefile View Post
I don't understand what it hard about removing a FLGR. It just comes out. I've never struggled with it for a second.
My understanding is that you need a bushing wrench to remove a FLGR. With the short GI guide rod, you can usually do it without a bushing wrench. Not a big deal as long as you have the wrench with you. At least that's the way it's been in my limited experience.

Ken
Old 03-01-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken45101 View Post
My understanding is that you need a bushing wrench to remove a FLGR. With the short GI guide rod, you can usually do it without a bushing wrench. Not a big deal as long as you have the wrench with you. At least that's the way it's been in my limited experience.

Ken
Or you just need to not have girly thumbs. However in the event that it does hurt a little bit more than usual I just use the lip of a case.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:16 PM

You can remove a bushing without a bushing wrench whether you have a GI or a 1 piece full length guide rod. The need of a tool is contigent on the fit of the bushing in the slide. For those that don't know, the base of a GI type magazine may be used a bushing wrench if one needs to on a more "loosely" fit bushing.

I do have two pistols that cycle noticably smoother with FLGR. Sheesh, the "absolute" issues about a pistol.