1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 02-28-2011, 06:30 PM

My first 1911, American Classic Trophy

Saturday I bought a new American Classic Trophy, 1911 .45 ACP. I was in the market for a budget 1911 and after reading several positive reviews about the American Classic II, I decided to get the Trophy edition. I got to shoot it today and I love it. Seems to be a very well made firearm. Very smooth and tight slide action. I added the some Alumagrips and a Pierce grip as well. Shoots very accurate out of the box.

Now some nuances. The Metroarms website says the Trophy has a reverse recoil spring plug. Mine does not (at least not to my understanding). The recoil spring plug in my gun looks exactly like a normal plug used with a FLGR only its about a 1/2 inch longer. The plug can be pushed freely through the muzzle end of the slide just like a normal plug. Nothing about the plug design or the slide design prevents this. The barrel bushing holds the spring plug in place and there is no way you could use a bull barrel with the stock spring plug. Now the caveat. The guide rod is slightly longer than other FLGR's I've seen. The guide rod protrudes just far enough that you cannot use a bushing wrench to push down recoil spring plug and turn the barrel bushing thus preventing a standard field stripping. You must remove the recoil spring plug/spring/FLGR just like you would a normal reverse plug/FLGR. Remove the slide, push the guide rod toward the muzzle end to compress the spring, then use the takedown hole w/ a paper clip to trap the spring. Then you remove the guide rod assembly through the rear of the slide. Not a big deal just interesting considering how the recoil plug is designed.

Also the gun came with one ACT-Mag. It would not feed at all using the stock magazine. I tried it several times with no success. Luckily I had already bought a Chip McCormick power mag. It fed flawlessly. Using that magazine I had no troubles at all. I'll be purchasing another Chip Mag soon. Can't wait to put more rounds through her.

Here she is with Hogue grips. I like the looks of the Alumagrips but the Hogues feel great.

Last edited by Farslayer; 03-02-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:39 PM

Looks sweet.Grats

The black sights and screws set it off perfectly.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:12 PM

Nice--Congrats!
Old 02-28-2011, 09:24 PM

Yeah, I found that the ACT mags didn't like to feed that well out of my Rock's but they sure love the CMC Powermags I've been buying. Though after I got both of the guns broke in the ACT mags worked just fine. Fine looking piece though Farslayer. What kind of accuracy are you getting out of her?

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-28-2011, 10:58 PM

Nice looking gun!!! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. My ACT mag was not very reliable with my AC II. I use several other brands with no problems.....when shooting 230 grain FMJ. My AC II was finicky with 200 grain lead SWC hand loads. I just started reloading 200 grain jacketed round nosed bullets. Can't wait to try them for reliability.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodadek View Post
What kind of accuracy are you getting out of her?
Generally speaking it seems pretty accurate. I've only played with her a little bit so far shooting beer cans at 10+ yards. She was hitting what I was aiming at. Hopefully I can get to the range this weekend for a real evaluation.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:17 PM

Sure is Pretty!

I really enjoy my ACII. I think they are the best value on a 1911.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:02 PM

That is a fine looking gun. I have an American Classic II and love it. I did scrap the act mag and picked up some Chip McCormicks. I have not had a single problem since.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuzz View Post
That is a fine looking gun. I have an American Classic II and love it. I did scrap the act mag and picked up some Chip McCormicks. I have not had a single problem since.
I was able to get the ACT mag to feed. I took the mag apart and stretched the spring a little. Put it back together and it's feeding fine for now. I'll still probably get another CMc Mag though.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farslayer View Post
I was able to get the ACT mag to feed. I took the mag apart and stretched the spring a little. Put it back together and it's feeding fine for now. I'll still probably get another CMc Mag though.
Recommendation...... Go to www.trippresearch.com and check out the upgrade kit for your mag tubes. They are cheap and I personally think they make up for any mag negatives from other makers. Their springs and followers are hard-core and I think you would see a huge difference. Or just order one of their complete 8 round models and you'll be good to go. Bending the stock springs will be a short term fix IMO.......................

tw
Old 03-03-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainfed View Post
Recommendation...... Go to www.trippresearch.com and check out the upgrade kit for your mag tubes. They are cheap and I personally think they make up for any mag negatives from other makers. Their springs and followers are hard-core and I think you would see a huge difference. Or just order one of their complete 8 round models and you'll be good to go. Bending the stock springs will be a short term fix IMO.......................

tw
You're probably right about it being a temporary fix. Thanks for the link. I'll definitely look into this.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Saturday I bought a new American Classic Trophy, 1911 .45 ACP. I was in the market for a budget 1911 and after reading several positive reviews about the American Classic II, I decided to get the Trophy edition. I got to shoot it today and I love it. Seems to be a very well made firearm. Very smooth and tight slide action. I added the some Alumagrips and a Pierce grip as well. Shoots very accurate out of the box.

Now some nuances. The Metroarms website says the Trophy has a reverse recoil spring plug. Mine does not (at least not to my understanding). The recoil spring plug in my gun looks exactly like a normal plug used with a FLGR only its about a 1/2 inch longer. The plug can be pushed freely through the muzzle end of the slide just like a normal plug. Nothing about the plug design or the slide design prevents this. The barrel bushing holds the spring plug in place and there is no way you could use a bull barrel with the stock spring plug. Now the caveat. The guide rod is slightly longer than other FLGR's I've seen. The guide rod protrudes just far enough that you cannot use a bushing wrench to push down recoil spring plug and turn the barrel bushing thus preventing a standard field stripping. You must remove the recoil spring plug/spring/FLGR just like you would a normal reverse plug/FLGR. Remove the slide, push the guide rod toward the muzzle end to compress the spring, then use the takedown hole w/ a paper clip to trap the spring. Then you remove the guide rod assembly through the rear of the slide. Not a big deal just interesting considering how the recoil plug is designed.

Also the gun came with one ACT-Mag. It would not feed at all using the stock magazine. I tried it several times with no success. Luckily I had already bought a Chip McCormick power mag. It fed flawlessly. Using that magazine I had no troubles at all. I'll be purchasing another Chip Mag soon. Can't wait to put more rounds through her.

Here she is with Hogue grips. I like the looks of the Alumagrips but the Hogues feel great.
My experience precisely with my 3-month old Trophy! I got a pair of slim cocobolo grips which improved my small-hand hold on the weapon. I also replaced the FLGR and plug with an Ed Brown standard guide rod and plug; now I can disassemble it the regular way. Finally, I got 3 CMc mags that work perfectly. This one's a keeper for me!
Old 03-04-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainfed View Post

tw
Thank you for this tip. I have a few ACT that needs an upgrade
Old 03-04-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuzz View Post
Thank you for this tip. I have a few ACT that needs an upgrade
You could also upgrade by installing a Chip McCormick springs and followers in your ACT mags.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
This may not be the case always with mine after buying CMc Mag no help. With my American Classic ll it works with any mag the problem I had was with the ejector needed to have work done to it from my gun smith. Still under warranty and I could have sent it to Colorado to be repaired no thanks It was worth the $45.00 I paid and not to have my gun tied up for whose knows how long. If they have people to repair them they should have one in every state to do so.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I could have sent it to Colorado to be repaired
He moved out of Co around a year ago Now in IN. No manufacturer has warranty centers in all 50 states. Get serious.

Go to http://americanclassicforum1911.com

I have all the centers posted their . Their same as the ones for Bersa firearms
Old 06-17-2014, 05:24 AM

The discussion is 3 years old, but it's never too late to talk about American Classics.

"I Miss America"
Old 06-18-2014, 05:31 PM

Congrats. I bought a Metro Arms Commander a year ago and am very impressed with the fit and finish, shoots even better than it looks, you should be happy.