1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Farslayer Farslayer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 22
My first 1911, American Classic Trophy




Saturday I bought a new American Classic Trophy, 1911 .45 ACP. I was in the market for a budget 1911 and after reading several positive reviews about the American Classic II, I decided to get the Trophy edition. I got to shoot it today and I love it. Seems to be a very well made firearm. Very smooth and tight slide action. I added the some Alumagrips and a Pierce grip as well. Shoots very accurate out of the box.

Now some nuances. The Metroarms website says the Trophy has a reverse recoil spring plug. Mine does not (at least not to my understanding). The recoil spring plug in my gun looks exactly like a normal plug used with a FLGR only its about a 1/2 inch longer. The plug can be pushed freely through the muzzle end of the slide just like a normal plug. Nothing about the plug design or the slide design prevents this. The barrel bushing holds the spring plug in place and there is no way you could use a bull barrel with the stock spring plug. Now the caveat. The guide rod is slightly longer than other FLGR's I've seen. The guide rod protrudes just far enough that you cannot use a bushing wrench to push down recoil spring plug and turn the barrel bushing thus preventing a standard field stripping. You must remove the recoil spring plug/spring/FLGR just like you would a normal reverse plug/FLGR. Remove the slide, push the guide rod toward the muzzle end to compress the spring, then use the takedown hole w/ a paper clip to trap the spring. Then you remove the guide rod assembly through the rear of the slide. Not a big deal just interesting considering how the recoil plug is designed.

Also the gun came with one ACT-Mag. It would not feed at all using the stock magazine. I tried it several times with no success. Luckily I had already bought a Chip McCormick power mag. It fed flawlessly. Using that magazine I had no troubles at all. I'll be purchasing another Chip Mag soon. Can't wait to put more rounds through her.



Here she is with Hogue grips. I like the looks of the Alumagrips but the Hogues feel great.

Last edited by Farslayer; 03-02-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Steel76 Steel76 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 463
Looks sweet.Grats

The black sights and screws set it off perfectly.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-28-2011, 08:12 PM
FLSlim FLSlim is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SW FL
Posts: 2,473
Nice--Congrats!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Kodadek Kodadek is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The frozen reaches of the North
Age: 31
Posts: 7,573
Yeah, I found that the ACT mags didn't like to feed that well out of my Rock's but they sure love the CMC Powermags I've been buying. Though after I got both of the guns broke in the ACT mags worked just fine. Fine looking piece though Farslayer. What kind of accuracy are you getting out of her?
__________________
One man with courage makes a majority. Andrew Jackson

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-28-2011, 10:58 PM
ipscgun45 ipscgun45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 170
Nice looking gun!!! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. My ACT mag was not very reliable with my AC II. I use several other brands with no problems.....when shooting 230 grain FMJ. My AC II was finicky with 200 grain lead SWC hand loads. I just started reloading 200 grain jacketed round nosed bullets. Can't wait to try them for reliability.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Farslayer Farslayer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodadek View Post
What kind of accuracy are you getting out of her?
Generally speaking it seems pretty accurate. I've only played with her a little bit so far shooting beer cans at 10+ yards. She was hitting what I was aiming at. Hopefully I can get to the range this weekend for a real evaluation.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Barbicatter Barbicatter is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 31
Sure is Pretty!

I really enjoy my ACII. I think they are the best value on a 1911.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-02-2011, 10:02 PM
jimbuzz jimbuzz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 86
That is a fine looking gun. I have an American Classic II and love it. I did scrap the act mag and picked up some Chip McCormicks. I have not had a single problem since.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Farslayer Farslayer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuzz View Post
That is a fine looking gun. I have an American Classic II and love it. I did scrap the act mag and picked up some Chip McCormicks. I have not had a single problem since.
I was able to get the ACT mag to feed. I took the mag apart and stretched the spring a little. Put it back together and it's feeding fine for now. I'll still probably get another CMc Mag though.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-02-2011, 10:48 PM
grainfed grainfed is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farslayer View Post
I was able to get the ACT mag to feed. I took the mag apart and stretched the spring a little. Put it back together and it's feeding fine for now. I'll still probably get another CMc Mag though.
Recommendation...... Go to www.trippresearch.com and check out the upgrade kit for your mag tubes. They are cheap and I personally think they make up for any mag negatives from other makers. Their springs and followers are hard-core and I think you would see a huge difference. Or just order one of their complete 8 round models and you'll be good to go. Bending the stock springs will be a short term fix IMO.......................

tw
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-03-2011, 07:24 AM
Farslayer Farslayer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by grainfed View Post
Recommendation...... Go to www.trippresearch.com and check out the upgrade kit for your mag tubes. They are cheap and I personally think they make up for any mag negatives from other makers. Their springs and followers are hard-core and I think you would see a huge difference. Or just order one of their complete 8 round models and you'll be good to go. Bending the stock springs will be a short term fix IMO.......................

tw
You're probably right about it being a temporary fix. Thanks for the link. I'll definitely look into this.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-03-2011, 10:41 AM
crp crp is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farslayer View Post
Saturday I bought a new American Classic Trophy, 1911 .45 ACP. I was in the market for a budget 1911 and after reading several positive reviews about the American Classic II, I decided to get the Trophy edition. I got to shoot it today and I love it. Seems to be a very well made firearm. Very smooth and tight slide action. I added the some Alumagrips and a Pierce grip as well. Shoots very accurate out of the box.

Now some nuances. The Metroarms website says the Trophy has a reverse recoil spring plug. Mine does not (at least not to my understanding). The recoil spring plug in my gun looks exactly like a normal plug used with a FLGR only its about a 1/2 inch longer. The plug can be pushed freely through the muzzle end of the slide just like a normal plug. Nothing about the plug design or the slide design prevents this. The barrel bushing holds the spring plug in place and there is no way you could use a bull barrel with the stock spring plug. Now the caveat. The guide rod is slightly longer than other FLGR's I've seen. The guide rod protrudes just far enough that you cannot use a bushing wrench to push down recoil spring plug and turn the barrel bushing thus preventing a standard field stripping. You must remove the recoil spring plug/spring/FLGR just like you would a normal reverse plug/FLGR. Remove the slide, push the guide rod toward the muzzle end to compress the spring, then use the takedown hole w/ a paper clip to trap the spring. Then you remove the guide rod assembly through the rear of the slide. Not a big deal just interesting considering how the recoil plug is designed.

Also the gun came with one ACT-Mag. It would not feed at all using the stock magazine. I tried it several times with no success. Luckily I had already bought a Chip McCormick power mag. It fed flawlessly. Using that magazine I had no troubles at all. I'll be purchasing another Chip Mag soon. Can't wait to put more rounds through her.



Here she is with Hogue grips. I like the looks of the Alumagrips but the Hogues feel great.
My experience precisely with my 3-month old Trophy! I got a pair of slim cocobolo grips which improved my small-hand hold on the weapon. I also replaced the FLGR and plug with an Ed Brown standard guide rod and plug; now I can disassemble it the regular way. Finally, I got 3 CMc mags that work perfectly. This one's a keeper for me!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-04-2011, 08:33 AM
jimbuzz jimbuzz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by grainfed View Post
Recommendation...... Go to www.trippresearch.com and check out the upgrade kit for your mag tubes. They are cheap and I personally think they make up for any mag negatives from other makers. Their springs and followers are hard-core and I think you would see a huge difference. Or just order one of their complete 8 round models and you'll be good to go. Bending the stock springs will be a short term fix IMO.......................

tw
Thank you for this tip. I have a few ACT that needs an upgrade
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Farslayer Farslayer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuzz View Post
Thank you for this tip. I have a few ACT that needs an upgrade
You could also upgrade by installing a Chip McCormick springs and followers in your ACT mags.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-15-2014, 07:44 PM
onemeanmf onemeanmf is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farslayer View Post
I was able to get the ACT mag to feed. I took the mag apart and stretched the spring a little. Put it back together and it's feeding fine for now. I'll still probably get another CMc Mag though.
This may not be the case always with mine after buying CMc Mag no help. With my American Classic ll it works with any mag the problem I had was with the ejector needed to have work done to it from my gun smith. Still under warranty and I could have sent it to Colorado to be repaired no thanks It was worth the $45.00 I paid and not to have my gun tied up for whose knows how long. If they have people to repair them they should have one in every state to do so.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-16-2014, 10:19 PM
michael t michael t is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: outback Ky
Age: 68
Posts: 1,204
Quote:
I could have sent it to Colorado to be repaired
He moved out of Co around a year ago Now in IN. No manufacturer has warranty centers in all 50 states. Get serious.

Go to http://americanclassicforum1911.com

I have all the centers posted their . Their same as the ones for Bersa firearms
__________________
DW bobtail 1951 Colt Commander,1972 Colt Commander, ,2003 Colt Commander 1990 Colt Mustang American Classic II
http://bersachat.com Home of Bersa and http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com American Classic on the net.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-17-2014, 05:24 AM
qwiksdraw qwiksdraw is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 984
The discussion is 3 years old, but it's never too late to talk about American Classics.
__________________
qwiksdraw

"I Miss America"
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-18-2014, 05:31 PM
walks with gun walks with gun is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: northern Mn.
Posts: 241
Congrats. I bought a Metro Arms Commander a year ago and am very impressed with the fit and finish, shoots even better than it looks, you should be happy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2011 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved