1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Revolvers

Old 02-28-2011, 05:05 PM

The old S&W K-38 (pic heavy)

In my pistolclub we have an old loaner that been around and taken alot of use, abuse and neglect. The love and care hasnt been plenty over the years.
(where can I find info on its age? serial nr 2782x ?) (Opps wrong # ..found the right one..K31368x)
I took it home for a lookover and some care.

It had some old pitting and even rust on topstrap and rear sight.
Alot of wear on the blue, and the bottom of the grip showed signs of that someone had used it as a hammer ?!

It was bone try and the build up of powder residue, lead and old gunk was massive.

I tore it down as much as I could and dared..

The internals were full of old gluey grease so I cooked every piece in my ultrasonic cleaner and gave it all a good scrub!
The chambers was so full och lead and carbon that I had to stuff them with cotton and soak with solvent for a few hrs.

When putting it all together again, I gave all internals a coat of silicone oil.
I think i got it right!

Unfortually I found some sad things..
One of the chambers has a bulge so that the brass get stuck, not to much of a deal, since the target discipline only count 5 rounds in each string so just skip that chamber.

But when cleaning out the barrel, I noticed that it had a bulge about 1 inch from the muzzle!
Well, I could just cut the barrel, recrown it and move the frontsight and make it a nice little 4" . But that idea crumbled when I found another bulge in the frame end of the barrel too! Right above the ejector.

Also the timing is off, and the play in lock up is quite severe..

This gun has taken alot of abuse and right now Im thinking if I should recommend the club a restoration with a new barrel + cylinder and finish,
or just scrap the old piece and get another one ?

Last edited by Swede45; 02-28-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 02-28-2011, 05:45 PM

Congratulations for trying to give that old girl a little TLC. Check the serial#, there should be a K in front of the numbers. If so I would put it at early to mid 1948.

Those diamond target stocks are worth a little on their own.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:58 PM

no K in front of the serial..
The serial is on the yoke, Letter "LG" under the serial..
In the yoke cutout of the frame: "8" with a "7" underneath...

And sadly as I said , the stock has taken some beating too..
Old 02-28-2011, 06:12 PM

Sounds like a squib or two went through it. Hey you tried and probably had fun with it. Hammer is right those stocks are worth some coin even beat a little.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:32 PM

The numbers in the yoke are assembly numbers and mean nothing.

The serial number will be on the butt under the grips, and should begin with a K even though it may be separated from the rest of the number by some space
COTEP#5
Old 02-28-2011, 06:42 PM

ok, what value are we talking about on the stocks? Pm me if not discussed in public.
yepp, there it was..K31368x

This gun has some interesting story to it.. it was "lost" from the clubs arsenal for 12 yrs.. until I got in charge, found out and tracked it down and returned it into the custody of the club!!

Last edited by Swede45; 02-28-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:03 PM

According to Roy Jinks in his book "History of Smith & Wesson" this revolver was manufactured in 1957.

If it was my gun I'd get in touch with Smith & Wesson to see if they can rebarrel, fit a new cylinder. and refinish.

Good on you for your efforts to salvage this fine old revolver.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:15 PM

Thanks Dave for the info.
Since Im in Sweden, shipping to S&W arent an option..costs and paperwork kills that idea. Ill try to find used parts here, or in europe.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:34 PM

Sorry, missed the part about living in Sweden though I suppose your user name should have given a hint!

I'm guessing you are either 45 years old or else you like .45 cal. handguns.

Finding an original ribbed K38 barrel will be a challenge. Maybe a plain, round, 4" barrel could be fitted and would keep this old-timer shooting while the search for a correct barrel continues. Might not look great but better than having it torched.

Good luck in your quest!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede45 View Post
ok, what value are we talking about on the stocks?
Not an expert but depending on condition (they look pretty good) I'd think some where around $150, maybe more.