1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 02-26-2011, 04:34 PM

Original Grips for a Nickel Series '70 Government?

Trying to help out a buddy who bought a nickel Series '70 Government Model whose serial number is "381xxG70". He is looking for the original style of grips as it is now wearing Pachmayr-marked wraparounds.

Which grips did this gun wear when it left Colt? Are the checkered grips with the silver medallions correct or are the distressed smooth wood grips correct? Neither? Did Colt ship any of these with Colt-marked Pachmayr grips?
Old 02-26-2011, 04:42 PM

Don't know whether the rubber grips were ever original equipment. It's generally conceded, however, that he rough sanded gips were used early in the seventies, and the full-checkered grips came along in the latter part of the Series 70 run--say 1975 on. This has come up before, and no-one seemed to know the precise switch-over date.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the info. This gun is a large letter Series '70 from 1977, so I guess the wood full-checkered grips are what he needs.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:21 PM

Sounds reasonable. Note that the "correct" grips are full-checkered with no diamonds. Normally they're available on gun broker but not always. E-bay usually has some options as well. The "correct" rough sanded grips are impossible to find-- at least in my experience. Had to settle for so "almost correct" knock-offs for my nickle Commander.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:44 PM

I think I have a pair of the proper grips in one of my parts boxes. If so, he is set. If not, I will find them somewhere.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:50 AM

Here are some pictures of the subject pistol as it is today. These were taken with my phone, so they are not the best. The pistol is in good shape for a 34-year-old shooter. Better than the pictures show it to be. Nickel is hard to photograph.

Funny thing is that the nickel softens the Colt razor sharp edges enough to make the gun holster friendly. The holster is a Sparks Axiom, and the gun shoots fairly well with the stock tiny sights. He did have to daub some orange Testor's paint on the front sight; otherwise, it flares and disappears in the sunlight. We shot it on an indoor range in Louisville, KY, yesterday, and the sights are just fine in low light. Other than the Pachmayr wraparounds, this one is stock. If it were mine, I would keep the Pachmayr grips as I like the traction from the front strap panel, but it is not.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:03 PM

In the 1970s the Nickle guns I saw had grips like this on my 1977 GCNM:

I did see a number of Satin Nickle guns with the sanded grips with silver Colt meds.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:10 PM

Very nice GCNM, especially the contrast of the bluing and walnut grips.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:12 PM

The 'sanded' grips referred-to are usually called 'sandblasted' because of the weird little patterns in the wood like where blasting or pressure washing takes material out of the softer areas in the grain. There's an excellent picture somewhere on here of a basically new set. My suggestion is like the others - forget these grips and just get a set with the Colt medallions. You can get a beautiful set of fancy cocobolo, full-checkered with gold Colt medallions that will really set the nickel finish off. CDNN has these for about $25.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:45 PM

Found the pic of the new sandblasted grips in another thread.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the information and the pictures. I have learned lots.

I think I have a solution. I have, stuffed in one of my parts boxes, a set of grips that came off a 1976 large letter Series '70 that went to John Harrison for a ton of work. Those grips should work for my buddy's new pistol.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:53 PM

Fascott, I think your friends gun has an aftermarket nickle/chrome job on it. Every one I have seen from the factory had sharp edges, including the two I have here. That one looks like it might have spent some time on the buffer. Look at the pix of 1saxmans gun above. My series 70 nickle guns from that period had the sandblasted grips too. They were so rough they looked like tree bark.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:41 PM

No, I do not think it has been buffed and refinished as the edges are still quite sharp and feel about the same as blued Series '70. The forward edge of the ejection port is just dull enough to not grab the holster like a blued one does. The roll marks are also quite well detailed. The nickel finish just adds enough to somewhat dull the razor sharp edges.

It is definitely nickel, not chrome, as I own both. It has the yellowish cast associated with nickel, not the bluish-white color associated with chrome. It looks like other Colt nickel pistols of my experience. It is also not electroless nickel as it looks nothing like my old .22 LR Trooper Mark III with that finish.

If it has been refinished, it was one heck of a good job. I like the gun, and I wish I had been the one to buy it. The photos make it look worse than it is. It sure is a heck of a shooter as it held its own on the line. It really needs better sights for outdoor shooting as there is too much glare from the nickel slide top and sights.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:58 PM

I am just going by what the picture at that angle looks like. You are holding it in your hand, so you obviously have a better insight. I have always liked the plated pistols. I'm not a flamboyant kind of guy, but I just think they are in a world by themselvs. I used to work for a gunsmith named Jerry Moran, who was well known for his Python & S&W revolver tuning back in the 70-80s. He always seemed to think they were more accurate because of the tightened tolereances of the plating. Your buddies is still pretty cool. I would sure enough like to own it.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipsan View Post
Sounds reasonable. Note that the "correct" grips are full-checkered with no diamonds. Normally they're available on gun broker but not always. E-bay usually has some options as well. The "correct" rough sanded grips are impossible to find-- at least in my experience. Had to settle for so "almost correct" knock-offs for my nickle Commander.
I have a polished nickle/satin Colt..proper grips are checkered with no logos, diamonds...nothing.....

I shoot this gun with Pachmayr wrap arounds and a straight rubber checkered main spring housing..also with the down turned beavertail using the stock hammer..I have changed both front and rear sights..

with 5 round strings it shoots tight clover leaf groupings..almost one hole at 40'..thats a stock barrel and also I installed a full length recoil spring rod..

Last edited by smokinwoody; 03-01-2011 at 12:00 PM.