1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 02-21-2011, 01:38 PM

Wolff Outer Recoil Spring Malf. on New Agent

Interesting story here; I decided to put Wolff springs in all of my 1911's across the board. 2 were bought new and 3 were bought used. I knew this was a good idea for the used models not having reliable shot counts, and frankly it was almost time for my two newly bought 1911's, both of which are Colts.

So I ordered up the Factory lb. version of the Defender spring set and installed them both on my NA along with the firing pin spring.

On the very first shot (230gr ball) the Wolf Outer Recoil Spring became completely compressed inside the Recoil Spring Bushing and the Recoil Spring Cap lodged inside the bushing as well, under the tension of the Outer Spring, and the Cap pushed out the front of the Bushing as far as the spring inside would allow.

So at this point obviously I unloaded the gun and set it aside.

When I got it home I wrapped the entire assembly in a towel to catch the parts and used a soft mallet to dislodge the assembly and the whole thing un-sprung just fine.

The Wolff outer spring was bent out of shape so I began to compare it to the Colt factory spring. What I then noticed was that the factory spring had been ground down flat on both ends to give it a flat purchase against both the Recoil Spring Bushing and the Recoil Spring Cap "flange" for lack of a proper term.

When I returned the factory spring, everything worked fine.

Did I screw something up that you can tell from my words? I didn't take a pic but you can imagine an Outer spring totally compressed under tension inside the Bushing with the Recoil Spring cap lodged inside the Bushing as well and held in by sheer tension and friction.

Anyone else have issues with their Wolff Defender Outer Spring like this?

Thanks all

"If you don't want the Chili to burn, stir it!" ~ Me
Old 02-22-2011, 01:16 PM

Just had that happen today with my New Agent!

Old 02-22-2011, 01:53 PM

Yes!

Thats it EXACTLY!

So... now what?

[QUOTE=CTSA1911;3100150]Just had that happen today with my New Agent!

Old 02-22-2011, 02:29 PM

I'll let you know when I hear back from Wolff.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:48 PM

Sounds good! Thanks!

Now I need to go dig up the receipt haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSA1911 View Post
I'll let you know when I hear back from Wolff.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:29 PM

My NA functions great as designed with Colt parts. I think I'll keep it that way.
Thanks for sharing, Mike

*** In comparing the virtues of various calibers, using hollow point ammo: it is absolutely undeniable that, while a 9 mm or .40 S&W may or may not expand, a .45 will never shrink. ***
Old 02-26-2011, 12:09 AM

I have been working on an Officer's Model project, lately. I am using a Briley recoil plug and a heavier Wolff recoil spring. I was having some trouble (math wasn't making sense) with the stacking recoil spring not fitting inside the recoil plug.
What I eventually found (in this situation) was that the UNcompressed Wolff spring STARTS out with an outside diameter almost identical to the inside diameter of my chosen recoil plug. However, when you compress the recoil spring, its OD grows by a few thousandths. In my case (hand cycling, no live firing) it kept the spring from stacking short enough to fit inside the recoil plug. I could not apply enough force, by hand, to jam or bind-up the spring inside the plug. But I knew I was still not getting full rearward slide travel using 'feel' and math. I finally machined the ID of my plug, and now the spring will compress properly without binding (with just enough room to spare).
I wonder in the case of these factory 3" Colts, we have a similar OUTSIDE diameter issue that is causing havoc. I can understand it may be difficult to discover this issue by just hand-cycling/testing with the newly installed Wolff spring, since they have such fierce resistance when near full compression. Then simply firing the pistol forces the spring to coil-up inside the factory plug, resulting in a situation somewhat similar to a 'press-fit' or 'interference fit' of two parts with under/over-sized FINAL diameters.
The fact that you are able to eventually get the jammed parts apart is a result of the spring's ability to retract and 'shrink' with the appropriate amount of counter-force.
Colt CCO (1999), Wiley Clapp Commander, Dan Wesson ECO (9x23win), H&K USP .45 Tactical, Sig P220 in 9mm (now 9x23), Kimber Pro Aegis (9x23win), Springfield LWT Compact compensated, Springfield LWT GI Champion, Fusion 9x23 CCO build.
It's only lying if someone believes it.

Last edited by emptymag; 02-26-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:08 AM

Factory Colt parts aren't cheap, but they are not that expensive when you carry with the intent to save your life or the lives of your loved ones. Why use generic knockoffs when you can have the correct part - particularly in something as critical as a recoil system? The Seecamp system and the springs Colt uses in it is carefully balanced to minimize recoil and maximize reliability in the Defender/Agent.

Outer Recoil Spring, New Agent/Defender
$3.95
Colt ID: SP57779
Figure ID: 14

Recoil Spring Assembly, Defender, New Agent
$26.95
Colt ID: SP577811
Figure ID: 15

You will find these items available here, in the Defender Parts pages on Colt's new Website in their online eStore:

http://www.coltsmfg.com/ShopOnline/t...3/Default.aspx

The shorter 1911s are pretty critical in getting the right balance of spring forces. Wolff is a mass manufacturer, and a good one. But not quite "close enough", it seems, for the Defender/Agent. Until Wolff or someone else makes exact duplicate springs of the right size and spring rate I can change, I'll stick with factory parts on my Defender. Since I practice mainly with other, larger Colt 1911s (that use cheaper springs), my spring set in the 3" gun will last quite a while. CC

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer
Old 02-26-2011, 11:23 AM

I think Col. Colt has "hit the nail on the head". The 3" models of the 1911 can be a bit tricky if everything is not just perfect. From my experience with the New Agent, I believe that Colt has it just about right.