1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 02-21-2011, 12:32 AM

Barrel play at chamber?

I have a nearly new Sig GSR (Caspian pre 7000 SN) that has some play in the chamber area when the slide is forward and the barrel is locked. If I push down on top of the chamber there is a slight amount of movement up and down. I have several other 1911's and none of them has any play in this area, My friend has an identical Sig GSR in the same SN range and his barrel locks up tight with no up and down play in the chamber area. The gun shoots ok (not great but ok), but the play is annoying. Can this be fixed by going up to the next longer barrel link or would that cause issues? I am guessing that when the barrel was fitted that they took a hair to much material off the lower lugs. Any suggestions on what I can do? Thanx......Braden
Old 02-21-2011, 12:43 AM

Slippery slope. A longer link won't really help as it will raise the barrel even higher off the slide stop pin. And it will delay upper lug dis-engagement and reduce the top of barrel to inside of slide at link down. First you should know what the upper lug engagement is, should be .040"-.045". You might consider one size shorter if the engagement is .045" or more. Or you might call Sig and see if they will re-fit.

LOG

Old 02-21-2011, 01:45 AM

Thanx Logman. I was hoping that you would chime in on this issue. Do you have any links to go about checking for that spec you mentioned? Thanx
Old 02-21-2011, 09:05 AM

With barrel in battery measure at the front of the port from the top of barrel to top of slide. Compare that to the same measurement spot by putting a popcycle stick between the breech face and hood end, the barrel will be up tight against the slide, but will not be engaged so you will get the amount of engagement by subtracting one from the other.

LOG

Old 02-21-2011, 09:05 AM

Depending on the fit of the lower lugs on the barrel to the slide stop pin you could try a larger shaft slide stop to see if the lugs would contact the barrel. EGW makes slide stops in several sizes to custom fit the stop.
Joe
Old 03-04-2011, 07:22 AM

I have always wondered about this.
Which takes priority?
Is a shorter link preferred to assure that the barrel lugs are on the slide stop at lock-up--provided you have enough upper lug engagement--even if the shorter link binds slightly when the barrel is fully down (i.e. the lower lugs are not contacting the VIS); which, I understand can stretch the link?
Or should a longer link be use--provided you have the clearance between slide and hood--even if there is a bit of flex (assumed to be the barrel riding the link at lock up) to make sure that the lower lugs are stopped by the VIS?
I assume the ideal is to just put a new barrel in to get both; but I am shocked by the number of pistols I see with the link in a slight bind at full link down--it seems that most manufacturers either prefer this, or don't care.
Or can there be some other modification that can be easily done?
I guess I am simply trying to come up with a correction that should be considered in the first place.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:03 AM

There really are no parts change cures for an improperly fit barrel. Just the best one can do with what he has to work with.

LOG

Old 03-04-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
There really are no parts change cures for an improperly fit barrel. Just the best one can do with what he has to work with.

LOG
Thanks log man. That was what I thought. So if there is play in the barrel and the link is set to not bind, nothing short of a new barrel will work--what I figured, just wanted verification.