1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Revolvers

Old 02-19-2011, 10:10 AM

S&W Model 29 Choices

The Model 29 is one of those on my "bucket list" of guns to own and I think it's about time for me to check it off the list. I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the pros/cons of the Model 29 Classic versus getting an older one. I am sure many of thoughts on the lock/no-lock issue, but I'm wondering what the other differences are between the new and old guns. In my opinion, the lock does not bother me aesthetically - my eye is just not drawn to it either way - but I would never use it, either. If the lock is a long-term killer with respect to value or collectibility then that would be an issue for me, but otherwise I don't care about the lock or the politics behind it.

The reason I ask is because I have an opportunity to pick up a Model 29 Classic with about 100 rounds through it. The former owner is trusted and very knowledgeable and the gun is beautiful and exactly what I want (blued, 6.5" barrel, walnut grips). He claims he finds that it shoots better (more accurately) then the earlier Model 29s he has owned. This would be something I'd plan on keeping indefinitely and probably shooting once per month given the price of ammo for it (I don't reload). I'd probably carry it when hunting as well, which I only do a couple of times per year these days.

My budget is about $1,000, which seems to give me enough choices to get a decent 29.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:41 AM

I currently have a pre 29, 29-2 and a 629-6.
The pre 29 and 29-2 maybe get shot every couple of years, they're "too nice" to carry in the field.
The triggers on both of these guns are (were) vastly superior to the MIM equipped 629-6 out of the box.
However, after trigger work, opening the chamber throats and installing fiber optic front sight, I carry and shoot the 629 a LOT. It shoots well (1.5" @ 25 yds.) and I am not concerned about banging it up.
If you like the 29 Classic, by all means get it.
It all depends on what you want.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:23 PM

i have the same piece, bought new for less then 9bills.
if i had to do it over, i would do it again. its a great pistol.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:04 PM

Thanks guys. This forum is always good for talking myself into more guns.

The seller of this particular 29 Classic is asking about $1,000. I see them on GB with "buy it now" prices of about $930-950, which would add up to around the same price when you add shipping and the transfer fee. Are these prices too high or have they just gotten more expensive since you [Brain] bought yours?
Old 02-19-2011, 02:17 PM

got mine last year i think. out the door with tax title and tags for $830.
same shop, this past fall got a new model 57 for the same money, with in a few dollars.

i say a grand is too much for a used pistol.....one that they make more of everyday.

Last edited by brain; 02-19-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:45 PM

I have this S number and have carried it quite a bit. There has not been a gun made that is too nice for you to use. I have good tight fitting holsters, I keep them dust free and my guns clean and waxed.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:52 PM

I paid

$300 for a rifle that I traded for this Model 29:

It is marked 29-2, the 2 is struck out and a 3 stamped on it. It came in the wooden display case with cleaning tool; no manual though. I think I did alright!
Old 02-19-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brain View Post
same shop, this past fall got a new model 57 for the same money, with in a few dollars.

i say a grand is too much for a used pistol.....one that they make more of everyday.
Thanks ... I suppose I will keep looking. Technically I am on a self-imposed gun buying moratorium until March 1 anyway, in an effort to keep myself to only one or two gun purchases per month. It's not easy sometimes.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brain View Post

Yep. This is current production, not an OOP collectible that demands a premium. Should not spend $1K on a lightly used gun, when new is available at a lower cost.

The 29 is a great gun, though. Good luck with it, or with a new one.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:28 PM

For that price I'd prefer to buy new.
My taste is for the slightly older ones but I have a 29-10 that shoots quite well.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:37 PM

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Performance Center Model 629 with the 7.5" barrel? I believe it's called the "compensated hunter." It certainly looks impressive in pictures with the matte stainless finish but I've never seen one in person. I can get it for roughly $1,000. Frankly, it looks so cool I'm tempted to just order it, but I figured I should do my due diligence, which means seeking the collective knowledge of the 1911 forum and waiting for someone to say "DO IT!"
Old 02-19-2011, 09:59 PM

I'm all for the older more Classic guns. Though the later guns with the Endurance package DO hold up better to a steady diet of magnum loads.

I've got a 1964 29-2, a 1980 29-2 6", another pair of 4" 29-2 guns that are consecutively numbered safe queens, and a few more recent PC (performance center) guns.

The PC guns like the Hunter series are VERY accurate, hold up very well and are great shooting/hunting handguns.

OP...You should visit the S&W Forum...learn a little about the myriad of .44 mag variations. Their For Sale site lists several various 29's each week.

FN in MT
Old 02-19-2011, 11:13 PM

For some reason the 629 talos are selling for a lot less than other 629s.

I was looking for a 3 inch and bid on a bunch of them on gunbroker. The cheapest one I saw went for $680. I ended up paying a little over $700.

As far as I know the only difference between them and the standard pistols is that Talo sticks a fancy rosewood grip on them. I bought the Talo because I didn't want Trailboss or whatever written on the barrel.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:37 AM

I intended to purchase an older Model 29 my local gun shop was selling used. After a few weeks of scrounging up the funds, I went to the shop to discover than the gun was sold a few days earlier. Still wanting a real S&W .44 mag, I turned to Bud's online and found them selling new 629's for around $50 more than what the used 29 would have been.

My 629-6 is a wonderful gun. The trigger pull is almost identical to the 27-2 that my grandfather passed down to me, and it's accuracy is outstanding. I don't regret it's purchase one bit. I have more fun with it than any other gun I own. Go ahead and buy a new one. They may not have the same level of fit and finish as the older guns, but they work just as well and hold up better.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:24 AM

I just bought a gently used 29-1 that was hanging on the wall in the fun shop. I had been looking at the performance center models and was close to buying one of those, but fell in love with the old 29-1.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:20 AM

629-7 pc

Quote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Performance Center Model 629 with the 7.5" barrel? I believe it's called the "compensated hunter." It certainly looks impressive in pictures with the matte stainless finish but I've never seen one in person. I can get it for roughly $1,000. Frankly, it looks so cool I'm tempted to just order it, but I figured I should do my due diligence, which means seeking the collective knowledge of the 1911 forum and waiting for someone to say "DO IT!"
BuchshotEsq,

I have one of the 629 Performance Center revolvers you asked about. It is superb in every way. It has a great action and shoots like a rifle. I would say it groups every bit as well or better than my 629-3 Classic DX revolvers. The compensator works really well; shooting one along with another uncompensated 629 reveals the difference in recoil. The barrel is a Lothar Walther barrel. It cleans up quick and looks like the benchrest grade barrel that it is. I was initially put off by the bright orange front sight, but with the right lighting in an indoor range, the orange sights do not impede a good sight picture. The orange sight really shows off well in hunting conditions.

Mike
Old 02-20-2011, 11:21 AM

Buckshotesq,
Can you get to a good gun show?
I'm seeing LOTS of Mod 29's for $800ish at shows, usually with the nice box. Usually the 8 3/8" or 6 1/2' and seemingly more nickles than blues. Most unfired or LNIB. I also see a lot of 629's , ditto in barrel lengths, for about the same price, MAYBE $50 more! A couple shows ago I was looking at a gun on a guys table and he had one in stainless 6 1/2" for $675. I have a mod.29 and wasn't looking for one, but somebody probably got a good deal that day!

D.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:40 PM

Thanks all. As a matter of fact, there is a gun show here next weekend that I plan on attending, though I'm not sure whether it's any good - it is a regularly held show (quarterly I think) but I've never been to it before. I will hold out and see what they have. I am leaning towards the compensated hunter model that Mike has because I think it fits well with what I want the gun for, but money talks, so I'll see if someone else can convince me to get a non-PC gun by offering a great deal on it.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:23 PM

I bought a 6 1/2" 29 Classic way back in about '93 or so. It's the round butt model, and this pic will show it with a set of S&W round butt stocks. I also have a set of the old Bear Hug round to square butt conversions, which look better, IMHO. It's a sweet shooter, and, of course...no lock.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:45 AM

I bought a nice 29-2 nickel 4" for 750+plus everything else about 18 months ago.

It is not perfect, but I wanted it, so I picked it up. It is a great shooter, but a handful with hot 240gr loads.

Any 29 or 629, will do you justice as long it has not been abused. My dad has an American Pride 29 (dash ten or eleven I think). A well built revolver. I think the newest Smiths, with ball-detent crane lock up are some of the best shooters that are out there. But there are there always the anti-lock crowd that won't own one.

The newest Smiths seem to be the most accurate, out of all the Smiths that I have shot.

IMHO the versatility of the .44Mag cartridge is unparalleled by just about any other standard handgun caliber.

If you could find one of these, I think you would be in heaven:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showpost...1&postcount=25
That is a 629 Performance Center model, pre-lock, ball-detent lock up, and mag-na-porting with a unfluted cylinder. Super sweet action.

I'm not really sure what Smith made in a 29, with porting.
(that one is NOT the american pride model)

Here is a link to an american pride model:
http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=763
Also a super-duper sweet model.

I had to pick either revolver to buy given the opportunity, that would be a VERY hard decision to make.

Good luck, and I hope you find what you are looking for!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:42 PM

I've shot S&W .44 magnums for decades. It is without question my favorite wheel gun. I carried a 6-1/2" nickel and competed with it in bowling pin matches. I managed a gun shop that has an indoor range and progressive re-loading equipment. I would shoot at least an hour each day and got pretty good with the heavy revolver. I'm old, old fashioned and old school so my recommendation would be to save another $500.00 and get an early .44 Magnum. The quality, fit and finish of these firearms will never be equaled or seen again. It will be supremely more collectable and it's value will continue to increase. Below is my four screw .44 magnum and one of my Randall dealer specials. It has been shot quite a bit and still looks good for being over fifty years old! The diamond target grips are thinner than you'll find on later model #29s and fits perfectly. Not all diamond grips are the narrower style and I'm not sure why S&W went to a thicker target grip but they never felt right to me and I have big hands and long fingers. Spend the extra money and you'll never be sorry.
RKS #012
Old 02-21-2011, 05:02 PM

I would go with the older gun. For $800 - $900 you should be able to find a 29-2 that is in almost new - new condition. These guns will have the beautiful blueing, pinned barrel, recessed cylinder chambers, no MIM parts (trigger and hammer are forged and case hardened), no lock, hammer firing pin, and have a fine quality fit and finish. I prefer shooting 44 specials at the range and mine is extremely accurate.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:47 PM

Thanks again everyone - this is very helpful. All of the 29s pictured here are stunning if you ask me. One question for Jeff25 (though obviously I welcome all comments) - is there a reason that you recommend the 29-2 specifically, rather than just pre-lock models in general?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:22 PM

It's probably the combination of things.
The blueing on the older ones was preferable to many as is the pinned in barrel and recessed chambers. The 29-2 was made for a fairly long time so finding one isn't as hard as finding some other ones.
Best wishes on finding the one that will be perfect for you. (I'm still looking for mine)
Old 02-22-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark81 View Post
For some reason the 629 talos are selling for a lot less than other 629s.

I was looking for a 3 inch and bid on a bunch of them on gunbroker. The cheapest one I saw went for $680. I ended up paying a little over $700.

As far as I know the only difference between them and the standard pistols is that Talo sticks a fancy rosewood grip on them. I bought the Talo because I didn't want Trailboss or whatever written on the barrel.

Landshark, Not to hijack the thread but does your Talo have a 1 piece barrel or the new 2 piece one?

Oh btw, I have a 6 " 629-2 that I got last year (no box/papers) for $650. Square butt with combat grips. It's wearing Hogue's right now as I didn't want to trash the combats, but they feel so much better they're going back on.

Last edited by RKJ; 02-22-2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: additional remarks