1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 02-13-2011, 11:11 AM

Mustang Mag Problem

I have a problem with my stock mag. After the first shot from a full mag, it wants to slip down and not let the next round feed. I can push the mag back in, chamber another round and not have another problem. Is it the mag or something else?
Old 02-13-2011, 12:48 PM

Mag release spring???
When you insert the mag, does it "click " into place?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:05 PM

Closly watching this thread as the Mustang I have (Colt Mark IV/ Series '80) when the mag is full (six rounds) the mag has to be "slammed" into the frame, (i.e. agressive palm strike).

Remove one round, mag engages pretty as you please, with a moderate press of the mag with a thumb. Add that 6th round back to the mag, takes both hands to press the mag until it engages.

Mag is thought to be factory, stamped with the Colt pony and "Colt .380 Auto." "M" upper right side of the mag plate.

Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
Old 02-16-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTuff View Post
Closly watching this thread as the Mustang I have (Colt Mark IV/ Series '80) when the mag is full (six rounds) the mag has to be "slammed" into the frame, (i.e. agressive palm strike).

Remove one round, mag engages pretty as you please, with a moderate press of the mag with a thumb. Add that 6th round back to the mag, takes both hands to press the mag until it engages.

Mag is thought to be factory, stamped with the Colt pony and "Colt .380 Auto." "M" upper right side of the mag plate.

Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
Just a thought, but your mag doesn't look like the one on the left does it? The older mags had the notch.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:53 AM

I've had this happen with several different pistols. Usually due to new magazine with a stiff spring. Make sure it clicks into place and it should be ok.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Just a thought, but your mag doesn't look like the one on the left does it? The older mags had the notch.

The one on the left is a 5- round mag and the one on the right is the more recent six rounder. Does anyone know a good method to remove the notch??
Old 02-16-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:

Tusk, Thanks for the reply, and it is with near shame I impart an answer to you regarding which mag looks like mine.

Not only does mine look "similar" to the one on the left in your image (shame mode on)I just now noticed something suspicious so I grabbed a magnifying loop.... my mag does indeed have this notch... and it has been cut in with what I suspect was a Dremel tool and carborundum(sp?) blade! A very poor attempt at cutting this notch under close inspection(shame mode off)

I'm eager to read your reply to this again. I will add, that loading the mag from empty, the mag takes six rounds easily. BUT if one round is removed and an attempt is made to reload it to the mag, darn near impossible.

I missed a sale recently at MidWayUSA on Colt mags including extended grip mags for the Mustang, I'm kinda glad I missed it now as I may have very well been ordering a mag not for my Mustang.

Any additional light you may shed will GREATLY be appreciated Tusk.

Dave

Last edited by RamTuff; 02-16-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Tusk, Thanks for the reply, and it is with near shame I impart an answer to you regarding which mag looks like mine.

Not only does mine look "similar" to the one on the left in your image (shame mode on)I just now noticed something suspicious so I grabbed a magnifying loop.... my mag does indeed have this notch... and it has been cut in with what I suspect was a Dremel tool and carborundum(sp?) blade! A very poor attempt at cutting this notch under close inspection(shame mode off)

I'm eager to read your reply to this again. I will add, that loading the mag from empty, the mag takes six rounds easily. BUT if one round is removed and an attempt is made to reload it to the mag, darn near impossible.

I missed a sale recently at MidWayUSA on Colt mags including extended grip mags for the Mustang, I'm kinda glad I missed it now as I may have very well been ordering a mag not for my Mustang.

Any additional light you may shed will GREATLY be appreciated Tusk.

Dave
Well there’s not much more to say other than a bit of history now that Mr. Wolf has let the cat out of the bag. When the Mustang was first produced (‘86?) it came with the notched 5 round magazine. At some point they switched to the 6 rounder. The 6 rounder lost the notch but what other changes were made I don’t know. I remember when the Colt Pony was released there was something of a stir because the Pony mag and the Mustang mag didn’t interchange. Needless to say consumers weren’t too happy about this and this may have been when Colt “fixed” it, but I’ve heard otherwise credible people say the capacity was changed prior to the release of the Pony so who knows.

Since they’ve been around for so long a lot of the 5 rounders have been modified, with varying degrees of success. The “notch” was actually a bit of metal pressed in to act as a stop for the follower. Modifying the mag involved removing this. I'm guessing yours is one of these since you shouldn't be able to stuff six in an unmodified original. I took the easy way out and just bought 6 rounders. I’m sure I have a 5 round mag around here somewhere and if I can find it I’ll take it apart and see if I can tell any difference between the two, other then the mag body.

Last edited by Tusk; 02-17-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Since they’ve been around for so long a lot of the 5 rounders have been modified, with varying degrees of success. The “notch” was actually a bit of metal pressed in to act as a stop for the follower. Modifying the mag involved removing this. I'm guessing yours is one of these since you shouldn't be able to stuff six in an unmodified original. I took the easy way out and just bought 6 rounders. I’m sure I have a 5 round mag around here somewhere and if I can find it I’ll take it apart and see if I can tell any difference between the two, other then the mag body.
Ahhhh, so it's not so much as a notch that the previous owner cut into the mag, as that he was probably gutting out this "stamped" follower stop with intentions of converting what I now suspect was a five round mag, into a six round mag!

This might explain that, from empty, it's easy to load six rounds into this magazine, but once loaded with six, if I remove one, it is difficult to re-insert it, probably due to some other minor issue, a result of a poorly "modded" magazine.

I only have this one magazine, that's what led me to this research as I wanted to pick up at least a couple extras. It would appear that there's not too many "new" five round magazines to be found. Will the newer six round mags work ok in my Mustang? Should I call Colt with my serial number in order to "date" my Mustang to learn if it will accept a "six rounder"? i.e. Do I need to try to find some five round mags?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Ahhhh, so it's not so much as a notch that the previous owner cut into the mag, as that he was probably gutting out this "stamped" follower stop with intentions of converting what I now suspect was a five round mag, into a six round mag!

This might explain that, from empty, it's easy to load six rounds into this magazine, but once loaded with six, if I remove one, it is difficult to re-insert it, probably due to some other minor issue, a result of a poorly "modded" magazine.

I only have this one magazine, that's what led me to this research as I wanted to pick up at least a couple extras. It would appear that there's not too many "new" five round magazines to be found. Will the newer six round mags work ok in my Mustang? Should I call Colt with my serial number in order to "date" my Mustang to learn if it will accept a "six rounder"? i.e. Do I need to try to find some five round mags?
Ok, everything I’m about to say is just from my own experience with the pistol. I’m not a gunsmith, just a fan with a couple of decades under my belt of owning, tinkering and carrying my favorite little pistol, so take all this for what is worth.

There’s only one way to know for sure if a 6 round mag will work and that’s to try it. It will certainly fit in the gun and lock up when you insert it. I think the only risk you run is that it may not work with 6 rounds in the mag and you’ll need to download to 5.

I know this sounds a little goofy but I’ve seen it before. I had an early Mustang that did what I think the OP describes, which is work with an original 5 round mag or a newer 6 round mag downloaded to 5. Put a 6th round in it and it would fire the first round and eject the magazine, or try too. The magazine wouldn’t actually eject from the gun, just disengage from the mag catch and drop down enough so the next round wouldn’t get picked up by the slide returning to battery. With 5 in the mag the gun was flawless and I never had a single jam with the 500 or so rounds I put through it.

While I had it I tried a new mag catch spring and then a new mag catch and the gun continued to do the same thing. I eventually traded the gun off to a friend of mine (he knew about the issue) with a couple of 5 round mags. He owned the gun until he passed away a few years ago and never had a problem while using those two 5 rounds mags. He wasn’t much of a “gun guy” but he carried it often in his right front pocket. We’d go out and shoot together occasionally and invariably he’d pull out the little Colt. It never failed to fire or cycle with those two 5 round mags.

All during this time I had another friend who owned an identical pistol of similar vintage that worked fine with the 6 round mags. I my memory’s correct the serial number of that particular pistol was only about a hundred off the one that didn’t work with them. So, was there a problem that Colt actually fixed or were some guns just finicky? Both of these were early guns and neither had had the “fix” installed. Speaking of which, and I don't think it's related to the probllem, you may want to look up the mag well. In the back of the gun you should see a small yellow bar. This was a fix Colt made in production and also made available to owners of the gun. The details are below.

COLT
380 AUTO CALIBER, SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOL
RECALL: We are incorporating a safety improvement on all Colt 380 semiautomatic pistols that we are now manufacturing. We are offering this same opportunity to all owners of Colt 380 semi-automatic pistols free of charge.
It has come to our attention that the sear spring may be bent in some Colt 380 autos. Where this occurs there is a possibility that the sear spring will become unseated from the base of the receiver which could result in accidental discharge.
To hold the sear spring in place, Colt will send you a 380 Auto improvement kit, which includes a spring clip and instructions for attaching the clip to the sear spring. Once the spring clip is installed the sear spring cannot come loose. This is a simple but effective safety modification.
This important message applies to all Colt 380 autos in the current series first introduced in 1982. If a spring clip has already been installed, it will appear in the magazine well as a yellow piece of metal attached to the sear spring.
To obtain the spring clip we ask that all owners of Colt 380 semiautomatic pistols contact us now by calling our special toll-free number below, available Monday through Friday between 8 AM and 5 PM, Eastern Time. Colt will send you a spring clip and complete instructions for quick, easy installation. There is no charge for this service. In the meantime we urge that you do not use your Colt 380 auto until you make this change.
Colt endeavors to manufacture firearms of the highest quality. We also continue to serve our motto, A tradition of safety.
Source:
• Law Enforcement Technology, Jan/Feb 1988; page 7
• Law Enforcement Technology, Mar/Apr 1988; page 72
• Guns & Ammo, April 1988; page 24
• Outdoor Life, June 1988; page 96
• American Rifleman, March 1988; page 12
• California Department of Justice Firearms Safety Note 88-2
Old 02-18-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
COLT 380 AUTO CALIBER, SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOL RECALL: ...
Yeah, mine has the yellowish spring clip upgrade. My intentions were to call Colt today to age my Mustang but didn't find enough free time.

thanks for all the input Tusk, very helpful and appreciated.

Heffe!!! Get back in here, didn't mean to run off with your thread! Did Wolf's recomendations work for you? Let us know how it's going with your issue and we'll have a darn good thread here on trouble shooting mags!