1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Revolvers

Old 02-01-2011, 08:16 PM

dan wesson model 14

hey guys whats up, i am looking for a 357 to keep my 1911 from getting lonely.... neway i ran across a danwesson model 14... does anybody know anything about? them are they any good? looked to be in great condition.. comes with everything but a screw. no seriously, it was like behind the trigger. but from as much as i can tell it looks like great condition... what would be the max you would be willing to spend?/ any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance

Last edited by xildroyalty; 02-01-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:08 PM

The 14 is a small frame gun with fixed sights. There were a few versions. The older 14 had the "porkchop" style barrel shroud. Then the regular 14 with the newer style shroud. Then the 14-2 had a few minor differences like a different hammer. Dan Wessons have interchangable barrels so barrel length (2.5" to 15") and shroud style would affect price. Shrouds come in 3 versions: standard, vented, and vented heavy. Older guns from Monson are considered by some to be superior to the ones made in Palmer or Norwich. It should say on the frame where it was made. As I said before, all this will affect price so its hard to say until we know what you're looking at. You could look on gunbroker and find something close and compare prices.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:21 PM

Had an old and dear customer come by my tire shop couple months ago offering to sell his DW because since he hadn't fired it since 1997 and his health was declining he didn't think he'd ever shoot it again. He offered it for $300, I accepted. Probably slightly under market value, but he was aware of that. I'm now the owner of a 6" Dan Wesson 357. Can't find a model # on it.

Since buying it, I've paid closer attention at local gun shows. $350ish and up for a decent single bbl, no box, gun.

Good shooter, and at least after an adulthood of shooting Colts the cylinder turns in the right direction, though I've about pawed a hole in the sideplate trying to thumb the cylinder open!

Bob
Old 02-01-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
Can't find a model # on it.

Bob
model 14 has fixed sights
model 15 has adjustable rear sight.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Banned

You can buy spare parts on gunbroker. If it doesn't shoot straight you can use a file on the end of the shroud if you know what you are doing. The barrel is wiggly and can be made to point better. I carry one with a 4" barrel concealed. It's a one-shot-stop device.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
The barrel is wiggly and can be made to point better.
That doesn't sound too promising... a wiggly barrel? I prefer my barrels firmly fixed into place thankyouverymuch.

Besides tightening the barrel/shroud per mfg specs, whatever in the world did (or can) you do to a DW to "be made to point better"? Seriously.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:46 PM

The answers you seek can be found here:

http://www.danwessonforum.com/

Be advised that DW's are as addictive as 1911's.

Steve
Old 02-07-2011, 12:39 AM

DW are BIG!

I would NOT say it was on the small side. The Bianchi holster I used for my 14 is now used for an N-frame Smith...The DW is one of the most accurate guns there is. I think it has to do with the barrel being under tension at both ends. ?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:35 PM

wow thanks thats really helpful i appreciate it.