1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 01-25-2011, 02:32 PM

Smart Reloader

I just picked up the Smart Reloader S.B.P. reloading press, and was actually quite impressed for it considering the price of $15. Even though I just started reloading back in September, I soon realized that I needed more die space than the 4-die Lee Classic Turret Press offered. I wanted a dedicated de-capper, so that I could remove the primer before putting the brass in the tumbler. I could have used the decapper/sizing Lee die that came as part of my set, but I didn't want to get all the crud from uncleaned brass on the die.

So I got the Smart Reloader and a Lee universal de-capper die, and it does a great job, and the primer pocket is now just as clean as the rest of the brass. The only problem is that a piece of corn cob media sometimes tends to get stuck in the primer hole. Using a corn/walnut blend, though, cuts this down, and when it still happens, the de-capper pin in the de-capper/sizing die just knocks it out.

For those who want a single stage press for a simple dedicated action, I would highly recommend the Smart Reloader; seems very sturdy and well made.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:37 PM

I didn't know they made presses. All I've ever seen are tumblers and accessories.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:11 PM

Natchez actualy has them for $14 right now:
http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cf...eloading Press

I was able to find one on eBay for $15 NIB, but less shipping than Natchez was going to charge.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:04 PM

Well..... Maybe not so fast.

I can't use mine yet.

The threads are so crappy I can't get the die all the way down. I read the same complaint on another forum a while back, maybe two weeks ago on THR. A friend says he has a 7/8x14 tap. I need to borrow it before I can use it. I can use a big ole wrench and just jamb my die down to seat it, but I don't want to take the chance with a perfectly good die.

Once I get the threads clean, I hope they align with the ram. It would be a bitch to find that the poor threads don't line up the die with the shellholder.

Oh, shellholder. The spring clip on the head of the ram is too small. I need to clip it back to insert a shellholder.

Glad to hear yours is working CZ. Keep us informed.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:00 PM

Sorry to hear that! My Lee die screwed in fine, and a Lee shellholder fit in fine, too.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:17 PM

I bought the small "C" press from Smart Reloader. I could only find one use for it (reloading-wise), sizing cast bullets with a Lee sizing die. I tried to use a ram prime in mine but the ram slop was enough that the primer cup/rod would hit the cas head, and had to guided in by hand. I tried to size/decap some 38 specials but the press didn't have enough leverage to run the brass through the dies. I stopped there.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:18 PM

I bought the small "C" press from Smart Reloader. I could only find one use for it (reloading-wise), sizing cast bullets with a Lee sizing die. I tried to use a ram prime in mine but the ram slop was enough that the primer cup/rod would hit the cas head, and had to guided in by hand. I tried to size/decap some 38 specials but the press didn't have enough leverage to run the brass through the dies. The shell holder was difficult to insert and the threads had tight spots. I stopped there.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:30 AM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikld View Post
I bought the small "C" press from Smart Reloader. I could only find one use for it (reloading-wise), sizing cast bullets with a Lee sizing die. I tried to use a ram prime in mine but the ram slop was enough that the primer cup/rod would hit the cas head, and had to guided in by hand. I tried to size/decap some 38 specials but the press didn't have enough leverage to run the brass through the dies. I stopped there.
The C-type press has never been noted for its strength. It generally flexes too much to be of any use in reloading. In fact, RCBS even made note of that in their advertising for their RCBS Jr. O-style press 40+ years ago.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 AM

I bought their digital scale after reading some good reviews on them.

Here is my review, JUNK. Save your money.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:11 AM

I guess we now know why they are so inexpensive; they saved money by not hiring any quality control personal. I guess I lucked out and got one of the good ones they actually put out... oh well even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifter View Post
The C-type press has never been noted for its strength. It generally flexes too much to be of any use in reloading. In fact, RCBS even made note of that in their advertising for their RCBS Jr. O-style press 40+ years ago.
I sure agree with that... My RCBS Jr. is still going strong after 10 - 20 K rounds a year... Think I got her back in 1970...
Old 01-27-2011, 02:58 PM

I just deprimed 100 cases with no problem... keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:05 PM

I've had a Lee "C" press for years, loaded 1000's of rounds on it. It never broke or flexed but now its a dedicated decapping station. C style presses work.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:51 PM

I got their little tumbler, which works fine, except it runs hot.

I also got their powder trickler. Its big & heavy, which is nice. But when I got it, the finishing wasn't great. The tube I think had some oil residue, so the powder didn't fall out well. The holes drilled through the cast base were rough and grabbed the aluminum tube when I tried to spin it. I cleaned it up with a large drill bit to chamfer the edge, and some sandpaper. Now it works fine.

In my experience, some stuff from China should be consider a kit. If you don't mind doing some fit & finish work, its fine.