1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 01-25-2011, 10:09 AM

Sig 1911 Carry

I am in the market for a new 1911 and after reading many glowing reviews, have decided on the SIG 1911. I want a commander size with full size grips so naturally, the Sig 1911 carry seems to be the best option. Can anyone who has one chime in and tell me what they think of it? Also, I know the black nitron finish is supposed to be very durable. How does the stainless compare? I really would like to get the stainless. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:17 AM

I have a Sig RCS Two Tone. I love the gun, but frankly, I don't like the nitron finish. It's just a personal preference. It looks like baked on high heat flat black header paint that you might see on race cars or motorcycles. It has not scratched yet but I have not used it hard either.

I wish I had been able to get an RCS in all stainless.

Trouble is that the stainless bead blasted finish does mar a bit and cannot really be restored from what I've heard.

Don't get a tool near the Nitron or it will scratch. The factory will not refinish frames, only slides.

But believe me, you have chosen the right make of 1911. If only they would make the slide the standard shape so the sig 1911 would fit most holsters.
Sig Sauer 1911 RCS Two Tone
Old 01-25-2011, 11:53 AM

Hi, I have a stainless Sig 1911 Carry that I bought new in early 2009. I abolutely love the pistol. It is accurate and function is flawless. It's the first commander sized 1911 that I've ever owned and I like it much better than the standard 5in bbl model. I think that Dr Guido is correct in saying that the bead blasted flat stainless finish will probably show scuff marks and may be difficult to cover up, but I don't actually carry mine so of course have had no problems. The unique SIG slide profile is something you either like or don't, but I liked it from the first time I saw one. I understand that in 2011 they will begin to offer them in the traditional slide profile.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
Hi, I have a stainless Sig 1911 Carry that I bought new in early 2009. I abolutely love the pistol. It is accurate and function is flawless.
How is the felt recoil?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
The unique SIG slide profile is something you either like or don't, but I liked it from the first time I saw one. I understand that in 2011 they will begin to offer them in the traditional slide profile.
I do think the SIG 1911 has a handsome slide. But, since my holsters are for the more traditional type of slide, I may wait until they release the new model. Where did you hear about the new model release?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:33 PM

damn...that figures. Now I'll have to sell mine and get one with a traditional slide. I don't like the slide. What I like is the External Extractor. I think John Browning knew this was a mistake and I think it's why he put one on the Hi Power.

I also like the combo of a commander length and an Officers grip length. Not too many companys offer this.
Sig Sauer 1911 RCS Two Tone
Old 01-25-2011, 02:31 PM

Actually, according to the 2011 Sig catalog, only the full size and 22lr 1911's will have the traditional slides. No commander size pistols yet. Guess we'll have to wait until 2012
Old 01-25-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epidoc View Post
How is the felt recoil?
To me the difference is minimal, slightly more muzzle rise.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:36 PM

I have a 2007 revolution carry. It has been a great 1911 and I carry it everyday. It has performed everything a SD pistol should. Mine has the solid nitron finish. I do like the finish, it does have holster wear but that doesn't bother me (I don't like virgin looking guns). I would buy another in half a heart beat.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:51 PM

One of mine is an STX with a nitron finush and stainless receiver. Carry it alot and no problems with finish. I like the SIG finish, its easy to care for and doesn't seem to wear much.
Got the same on my 220 SAO which is my current carry and it rides 12-16hours a day on me in an Alessi CQC-S holster that Tom at Alessi Holster made for me along with a great belt and mag pouch.
If you having problems with holsters and the SIG slides call Tom he is a SIG guy so he's in the family and thank God he took over the company with the help of Lou Alessi's wife and daugther and is keeping that Great holster company going and moving forward.
Stainless willl rub smooth and show some wear on any stainless gun
Hope this helps enjoy the hunt for the right SIG 1911

jcc7x7
Since God is for you, who can ,succesfully , be against you! Romans 8:31
COTEP 0566
Old 01-26-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Guido View Post
I have a Sig RCS Two Tone. I love the gun, but frankly, I don't like the nitron finish. It's just a personal preference. It looks like baked on high heat flat black header paint that you might see on race cars or motorcycles. It has not scratched yet but I have not used it hard either.

I wish I had been able to get an RCS in all stainless.

Trouble is that the stainless bead blasted finish does mar a bit and cannot really be restored from what I've heard.

Don't get a tool near the Nitron or it will scratch. The factory will not refinish frames, only slides.

But believe me, you have chosen the right make of 1911. If only they would make the slide the standard shape so the sig 1911 would fit most holsters.
The Nitron looks very different on the alloy frame than on stainless. It doesn't scratch at all and wears VERY slowly on steel.

There is no RCS in all stainless- it has the alloy frame so it has to be coated. The stainless compact is the CCO model in all steel. Very hard to find and I don't think its in the new catalog.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj528 View Post
The Nitron looks very different on the alloy frame than on stainless. It doesn't scratch at all and wears VERY slowly on steel.

There is no RCS in all stainless- it has the alloy frame so it has to be coated. The stainless compact is the CCO model in all steel. Very hard to find and I don't think its in the new catalog.
Not so hard to find for a decent price on gunbroker.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Not so hard to find for a decent price on gunbroker.
950 for a gun that you could find for 800 out the door a year ago to me is a bit steep but good to see they can be found.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj528 View Post
950 for a gun that you could find for 800 out the door a year ago to me is a bit steep but good to see they can be found.
They can be found for ~$850 on gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=212952504
Old 01-26-2011, 12:18 PM

I don't think $850 is so bad. Is it worth that? Probably. I hear that Sig's 1911's have a minimum of MIM. I would be interested in knowing what exactly is MIM on the newer pistols.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I don't think $850 is so bad. Is it worth that? Probably. I hear that Sig's 1911's have a minimum of MIM. I would be interested in knowing what exactly is MIM on the newer pistols.
Its not about MIM, it IS about quality in build. Sig has worked out the "bugs" and current production 1911's are excellent value.
Most of the Sig 1911's are all stainless, and the Nitron versions are identical pistols with a added finish. Its not the prettiest, but it is tough. Nitron pistols are a bargin. JMO
Old 01-26-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Actually, according to the 2011 Sig catalog, only the full size and 22lr 1911's will have the traditional slides. No commander size pistols yet. Guess we'll have to wait until 2012
False. The 2011 catalog has a 'traditional compact' which is a true commander size (4.25" slide on officer frame). My local shop can order one for me now however they will not arrive in the store for 3-4 months. That being said I just ordered an RCS however I'm also having a holster issue that is really making me mad. Hopefully I find something asap!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redefined View Post
False. The 2011 catalog has a 'traditional compact' which is a true commander size (4.25" slide on officer frame). My local shop can order one for me now however they will not arrive in the store for 3-4 months. That being said I just ordered an RCS however I'm also having a holster issue that is really making me mad. Hopefully I find something asap!
True commander would be 4.25 slide on govt frame, CCO is commander slide with officer frame.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgelj View Post
True commander would be 4.25 slide on govt frame, CCO is commander slide with officer frame.
Sorry, read it wrong! DOH
Old 01-26-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redefined View Post
True. I prefer a full sized grip though.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:58 PM

How does a the p220 elite stainless compare to a 1911? I've been eyeing one of those as well. Work of art, that pistol.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
They can be found for ~$850 on gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=212952504
Sorry- my post, and GB search, were about the "compact", the CCO, not the Carry. You can find Carry model guns pretty easily and $850 is a fair price.

I am glad to see Sig will make "traditional" style guns in other than full size.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:29 AM

I have a C3 and it is a great gun. They run @ $850.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Guido View Post

ill second that. its definately not the nitron of old. It needs some Black T
Old 01-30-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadus123 View Post
I have a C3 and it is a great gun. They run @ $850.

I agree the C3 is a great 1911. It carries very well & is bulls eye accurate. Mine has been 100% reliable & it is my EDC.