1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 01-22-2011, 07:09 PM

Mil-Spec won't feed hollow points!

Got a new Mil-Spec about a month ago. First trip to the range, I put about 100 rounds of FMJ through it. No problems whatsoever. Awesome.

So I bought some Hornady 230 and 200g +P hollow points, as well as some Federal HPs. The gun won't feed them! It is slightly better with the Federals, but the Hornadys jam up everytime. Like they're catching on the feed ramp.

Suggestions? I'm leery to take the HPs to the range in fear the gun will jam up even more severely. Don't want to screw anything up (I'm new to the 1911.)

Everyone likes photos, so here's what the Hornady ammo does when I try to chamber them:
Attached Thumbnails
photo (1).jpg   photo (2).jpg  
Old 01-22-2011, 07:40 PM

Can you supply a good photo of the feed ramp and the barrel throat with say the slide locked back and no ammo in it? It's hard to tell if the rnd is hanging up on something or not clearing the magazine correctly. Did all magazines not feed that ammo?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:36 PM

My fix

I had the exact same problem. my solution-which may not be yours, was to remove just the slightest amount of material from the bottom of the barrel throat, and polish it. However as I was told from my gunsmith, it can be a number of things. One common thing is-from what I'm told, magazines. Some will work/ some won't for some guns. There is at least six different makers of 1911 magazines, wilson combat, and chip mcCormick are what I use and they work fine. I also have used all the rental ones that come with the range guns without any problems.Polishing the feed ramp- if it's not already done may help. Talk to, or take it to a gunsmith is what I would do.

Last edited by lkwdryan; 01-22-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:39 PM

I tried a couple of different Springfield mags and a Chip McCormick power mag. All had the same problem. I'll see if I can jam it up again and take another photo Thanks for the assistance!
Old 01-22-2011, 08:49 PM

Here's a shot with the slide locked back. I examined the jam a little closer....it's as if the round won't jump "up and over" into the barrel. Sometimes I can physically push the round straight back down into the magazine, then release the mag. Other times, it's like it has almost made it into the barrel and is jammed in an upward direction. Then I have to really screw with it to get the round out.
Attached Thumbnails
photo (3).JPG  
Old 01-22-2011, 08:55 PM

If you are feeding these rounds at home,,,, be careful of driving the bullets back into the case (called backset). It will compact the charge and become very dangerous to fire. The +P would be even more of a danger.

How well lubed are the rails? Keep them well oiled.
Army Chief / RIP You will be missed by many.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:56 PM

Was that the last round on a 8 round magazine perhaps?

What sort of magazines are on your gun right now?
Old 01-22-2011, 09:00 PM

The gun is well-lubed. I just took it apart today and lubed it. Thanks for the advice on the danger....I was getting a little nervous and stopped putting them in all together. The rounds that got stuck did look a little "dinged" and I will not be firing those.

I've got about 7 different SA mags (some blued, some stainless) thanks to the 1911 coupon. The only different mag I have is a Chip McCormick 10 rounder. I tried about 4 different mags and they all had the same problem.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:33 PM

i'd break in the new milspec with at least another 400 rounds of FMJ ball ammo.
Then try a Wilson 47d mag ...top round in a Wilson sits a little higher.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:31 PM

Don't remove any metal from the barrel or start polishing anything. Just shoot it a bit more with ball ammo. It may be that your extractor is too tight. If you're familiar with adjusting the extractor tension, then this may be a good idea.

Also, I would try using some other quality after market mags. SA mags have a tendency to make the bullets nosedive.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:39 PM

Get several boxes of Winchester white box 230 grain FMJ ammo and report back.

I myself have had issues until I acquired Wolff Mags. But finally threw in a half a box of old WWB FMJ's which seems to have been just the right medicine the gun needed to eat to start working well with my Federal Hollow points. If I cannot get the Tripp Cobras to work, I will get rid of them. I have a set of Checkmate FULL mags with dimples resting loaded presetting tension on the springs for a few weeks until the next shoot to prove them with the Federals and Gold Dots.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:42 AM

I have seen Hornady have a lot of probllems in 1911's out of the box. I can not get any of my 1911s to eat hornady until I polish the ramp.

Try this. Get some metal polish like Flitz and a dremmel with a buffing wheel and polish the ramp to a mirror finish and the ramped part of the barrel. Be careful not to overheat the metal. I have heard it can happen with the power cord dremmel's and can damage the metal. I personally do not want to test this theory so I use a battery powered dremmel and watch my temp.

You might need to change the follower out on the mags and go to a raised follower instead of the flat.

What is the debris on the left side of the ramp?

Last edited by Viper61529; 01-23-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:01 AM

I think you just need to shoot it more. Like someone said before..buy the "old reliable" WWB from Wally-World and have fun breaking her in properly. I've had Springers do the same thing with certain brands of JHP's.
Oh and just my 2 cents... DREMELS + GUNS = REGRET.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:42 AM

I appreciate all of the help. I will try breaking it in some more with FMJs and go from there. If it is still finicky, I will try some light polishing. If all else fails, there is a good 1911 gunsmith not far from here that will take care of me I'm sure.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:59 AM

I suggest calling their customer service line. I've never used it, but this forum is riddled with stories of people sending their pistols to SA and getting back a piece that has been worked over way beyond the problem that prompted the call to customer service. Search this forum for stories.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon480 View Post
I suggest calling their customer service line. I've never used it, but this forum is riddled with stories of people sending their pistols to SA and getting back a piece that has been worked over way beyond the problem that prompted the call to customer service. Search this forum for stories.
+1 on this.One ooops with a dremel is not what you want.Plus it won't cost you a dime.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:20 AM

Definitely DO NOT take a Dremel Tool to a new 1911 unless you really know what you are doing. One mistake and the frame could be ruined.

+1 to the guys that are telling you to shoot it more. The ramp area is not highly machined and needs to be smoothed out. Your choices are, shoot at least 300 more rounds of FMJ to do that or else have a gunsmith polish the ramp and check the throating on the chamber. If more rounds do not solve the problems, then I suggest letting SA do it for you under warranty.

To help the mags, load them up full and put them away for a week or two. My SA mags were problematic when new, but this cured them.

Good Luck
Bill
Utah & Enhanced Idaho CWP holder
COTEP# CBOB0476
Old 01-23-2011, 11:20 AM

I had the same issues with my Mil-Spec, I called CS, they had me send it back to them, I got it back and it's perfect now,
NRA, SASS #69595, NCOWS #3123,ROWSS #40, SCORRS, BROW, Leather Shop.

" Shoot straight, and live to fight another day "
Old 01-23-2011, 02:46 PM

I was looking at the photos again and the second one with the gun locked back and empty - I really can't tell but is the barrel throat overhanging the feed ramp or to close to the ramp by any chance? I've read that the barrel should be 1/32 or .030 ahead of the feed ramp. The 1rst photos look like the bullet has cleared the feed ramp and is stuck on the barrel throat? Just wondering?
Old 01-29-2011, 06:52 PM

Update!

So I called Springfield last week and the (very nice) customer service rep recommended that I put another 100 rounds through it before sending it in.

So I went to the range this morning and put about 150 through it. And guess what? It now feeds the HPs like a champ

Guess it just needed a little break-in. Oh and by the way, I freaking love this gun!
Old 01-29-2011, 08:54 PM

If you ever get another hang up, (which I hope you don't) look at the breechface. Check to see if the rim on the case is under the extractor. If it stops right at the extractor, the extractor could be tight as previously mentioned. If it stops much before the extractor, a little breachface polishing might help.

As the slide strips a round off of the mag, the case slides up the breechface, under the extractor. Having the extractor at the right tension is important as well as having a somewhat smooth breachface.

Mil-specs are great, and have fun!
Old 01-30-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Freeman View Post
Don't remove any metal from the barrel or start polishing anything. Just shoot it a bit more with ball ammo. It may be that your extractor is too tight. If you're familiar with adjusting the extractor tension, then this may be a good idea.

Also, I would try using some other quality after market mags. SA mags have a tendency to make the bullets nosedive.
Ding ding ding we have an correct answer. Most feed problems with 1911's have little to do with the magazines, The reason you arent having issues with the FMJ's is the bullet profile. Betting the extractor need a bit less tension.