1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Remington

Old 01-19-2011, 01:20 PM

New Remington 1911-R1 trigger creep

Just bought this baby today. Overall i'd say it's a fine piece of gear. It looks great and seems to have very tight tolerances. My only problem is the trigger pull. I've noticed that there is a click and a bit of scraping creep after the takeup and before the hammer is released. It makes for a pretty inconsistant trigger pull. Any ideas as to how to fix this, or is there anyone else that has experienced this with the R1?
Old 01-19-2011, 02:13 PM

Suggestion

Just my opinion. I'm sure you've already done the new gun field strip and clean routine already. I wouldn't worry to much about the trigger pull until the first 300rds. Mine was like night & day. This will give you a chance to develop your own wish list, Long Trigger, Short Trigger, 10-8 style trigger, Skeleton Hammer or Commander Hammer, etc. I might recommend saving yourself a ton of grief by buying one of the Cylinder & Slide 5 Piece Drop in Sets http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index....how&ref=1911DI I've used the Tactical II 4lb kit and it is superb http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index....how&ref=CS0212 Furthermore, if you are contemplating a new hammer you're there. It's an amazing modification. Oh, I almost forgot, the series 80 issue. You might consider removing the FPB (very simple). This allows the use of series 70s parts. You'll need the filler plate http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...AME_SLOT_BLANK
Old 01-19-2011, 03:28 PM

Much thanks for the input. I'm definitely interested in the C and S kit. I was looking at one for my RIA CS. The FPB blank also solves a bunch of issues.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:16 PM

The R1 creep is mainly due to the long hammer hooks and sear engagement. When mine was stock, I did work and removed the creep. Now I'm using a Caspian hammer and an Ed Brown Perfection sear. I still have the 80 series parts in and have a nice 3.5# trigger.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
The R1 creep is mainly due to the long hammer hooks and sear engagement. When mine was stock, I did work and removed the creep. Now I'm using a Caspian hammer and an Ed Brown Perfection sear. I still have the 80 series parts in and have a nice 3.5# trigger.
That's definitely a desirable setup.

How much trouble was it installing the grip safety? Did you have to do any additional work to the sear spring or other operations to acquire the 3.5# trigger. I'm guessing the adjustment was mostly from the stoning of the sear angle?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:27 PM

I think it took about 8 hours of hand filing and sanding to fit the grip safety.
My stock trigger was just over 4#, but had a bit of creep. I worked the factory parts down to 3# w/o a problem. When I replaced the hammer I just went with a new sear while I was at it. The new hammer needed work to bring the hooks down to .020" and I also had to adjust the secondary face on the sear. Lastly I used a Colt sear spring and adjusted for a 3.5# pull.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:59 PM

Sounds like a bunch of work, but hours fly by when i'm doing that kind of stuff. Looking at your setup, i'd say the time paid off. It's a fine piece. What kind of jig did you use for your sear angles? I'm trying to decide on a good jig and set of stones.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:47 AM

I use an ed brown sear jig.
For stones I use a black and a white ceramic from Brownells
Old 01-20-2011, 08:06 AM

The latest copy of American Rifleman has a piece on the Remington. The author does mention trigger creep and heavy pull. I had thought for some reason that there were no MIM parts in it but it apparently has. Nothing wrong with them, my Kimbers work just fine.

-1911Collector

"You have a pretty face. Do you speak Spanish? ...you have a face como un burro." Gru.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:48 AM

The sear appears it might be MIM, while the other parts look to be cast.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=275331

Last edited by Quack; 01-20-2011 at 09:51 AM.