1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:33 AM

Remington 1911 R1 or Kimber Custom II

I'm going to be getting one of these in about 2 or 3 weeks... I'm just looking for a nice simple, RELIABLE 1911 to replace my POS Taurus. It's up in the air for me between them at the moment.

I've heard mixed opinions on both. Any input?

Unless of course somebody has a better option with about an $800 limit OTD, give or take.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:45 AM

Your going to read on the internet mixed opinions about every single gun manufacturer out there.

Kimber, Colt, Springfield, and now Remington are all going to offer you good guns. The hardest part is deciding which model to go with.

Good luck with your search and have fun (one of my favorite things to do is look for a new gun )
Old 01-19-2011, 09:03 AM

The Remington is a fairly new offering. I read a review on one and they liked it fine. I believe they are less expensive than the Kimber. Whenever I buy a pistol, I always consider the potential resale value. It is a known fact that Kimbers hold their resale value well. Remington does not have an established resale value. It might be good, it might be bad.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***d661 View Post
Your going to read on the internet mixed opinions about every single gun manufacturer out there.

Kimber, Colt, Springfield, and now Remington are all going to offer you good guns. The hardest part is deciding which model to go with.

Good luck with your search and have fun (one of my favorite things to do is look for a new gun )
+1
Kimber page.. I vote Kimber
Old 01-19-2011, 11:58 AM

You posted this in a Kimber forum... I think you already know the answer to your question

-Deke
Old 01-19-2011, 12:08 PM

The first review i read on the remington mentioned that in 200 rounds of testing, several jams and stovepipe jams occured. Even after the break in period odd jams were still common. I would say you will have to definetely tweek the R1.

That being said, I have had the more expensive kimbers have the exact same problems even after break in as well. And I had to fix it myself usually.

Sadly a tactical entry had a misaligned barrel lockup, and the ambi safety broke after 2000 rounds. Even in a vice the gun shot to the left. I looked at the lugs and they were not fitted properly, and the barrel hood was loose.

So i am replacing a bunch of stuff on a 1200 dollar gun.

With that budget I would suggest finding a used kimber, or a new remington, but plan on spending money and fitting a good extractor on either gun. I found for the most part my issues were solved with a better/fitted extractor.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:26 PM

Model 1911 R1

Key Features:

* Barrel length 5"
* Flared and lowered ejection port
* Sights, dovetail front and rear, 3 dot
* Double diamond walnut wood grips
* Satin black oxide metal finish
* Weight 38.5 ounces
* Carbon steel frame and slide
* Capacity 7 + 1
* Two 7-shot magazines supplied
* Shipped in custom carrying case

Kimber should take a page out of their book when it comes to how many mags you get with a purchase!
Old 01-20-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeD View Post
You posted this in a Kimber forum... I think you already know the answer to your question

-Deke
lol... perhaps.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil816 View Post
I've heard mixed opinions on both. Any input?
Know how I can tell you haven't had a chance to actually handle a Custom II and an R1 in your own hand's?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Banned

Custom II hands down. It's got WAY more features and makes a great base gun for a future project, if that ever is desired.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
Custom II hands down. It's got WAY more features and makes a great base gun for a future project, if that ever is desired.
YES! +1!

Remington is just a GI/military model, with nothing to offer over the others in its category.
Colt CCO (1999), Wiley Clapp Commander, Dan Wesson ECO (9x23win), H&K USP .45 Tactical, Sig SAS P220 Compact, Sig P220 in 9mm (now 9x23), Kimber Pro Aegis (9x23win), Springfield LWT GI Champion, Fusion 9x23 CCO build, S&W 329NG .44mag.
It's only lying if someone believes it.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 AM

I have 3 1911's a SS Colt series 80 , a Kimber Grand Raptor II and a Rem R1 and the Rem holds its own against the other 2 quite well considering its price. I only have about 300rnds thru it so far but, its been perfect in functioning so far.
1st time out with it a buddy had some old 45acp swc target reloads and it ate them up with out even a hickup. I'm courious to see if Remington will expand its 1911 line in 2011
Old 01-20-2011, 10:53 AM

Kimber Custom ll, no contest.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:07 PM

Kimber Custom II over the Remington R1.

The Kimber has been around for so many years now, it is a proven commodity. Quality in fit, finish, and function are the hallmark of Kimbers in general. Several law enforcement agencies use them for those reasons. Also the frames and slides of the Kimbers are forged versus cast for the Remington.

I used to have 4 Colts and 4 Springfield Armorys. Compared to those guns, the Kimber Custom II I just bought is way above in overall quality. Hence my recommendation
Old 01-20-2011, 12:11 PM

Kimber. I could be a touch biased though
Old 01-20-2011, 12:15 PM

haven't shot mine yet but if you go with Kimber..look here http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_s...ml/kimber.html that's where I got mine and prices include shipping. pretty reasonable compared to local shops I checked out

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:03 PM

I'm not a fan of GI model 1911's for a few personal preference reasons, and these are subjective, so I understand if no one agrees with me:

Hammer - snags all kinds of stuff when worn in the field
Trigger - not match (I like the smoother pull on the Custom II)
Barrel - not match (eh...not that big of a deal if not competing)
Sights - well, gotta get night sights anyway

I'd say magazine, but the Kimber comes with a basic 1911 crappy mag too.

The things I mentioned can be upgraded later, but the Rem R1 isn't that much cheaper than the Kimber Custom II. Any upgrades later to make it equal to the Custom II will cost you much more in the long run.

Just my .02, and I think the R1 is a good starter 1911 (GI, duh?), but for a little more money, the Custom II is much more gun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” -George Orwell
Old 01-20-2011, 05:09 PM

I'm gonna say Remington because it doesn't have the horrid FCS
also cast parts vs. MIM.

I have a little over 1000rds while it was stock. Just put 200rds through it last week to get the feel of my new mods.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...ton-r1-review/
Quote:
As is the custom with for American Rifleman, I accuracy tested the R1 by shooting five consecutive, five-shot groups at 25 yards. I did this with three different loads, each of which I have used many times with other .45 pistols and have proven exceptionally accurate. Before any accuracy work, I did run about 10 magazines of mixed ammunition through the gun to break it in. Then it was on to the Ransom Rest, in this case C-clamped to a solid concrete bench. In order, I shot Federal 230-grain Gold Medal ball, Black Hills 230-grain JHP and Remington 230-grain Bonded Golden Saber JHP.
The evaluation produced 15 five-shot groups ranging in size from a smallest of 1.24 inches to a largest of 2.99 inches. The three test loads averaged 2.06 inches, 2.16 inches and 1.85 inches, respectively, with an overall group average of 2.02 inches. These results are tabulated above and pretty well establish that the Remington R1 is pretty much a 2-inch shooter at 25 yards.
IIRC, When Kimber entered the FBI trials it grouped 3.5" with Golden Saber ammo...

Last edited by Quack; 01-21-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:46 PM

I agree with Quack. I've shot a R1 and owned a Kimber. I'd take an R1, especially set up as his is with the GS over a Custom2 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:34 PM

Ahhhh...the coveted FBI SWAT pistol trials with Golden Sabre 230 grain and 1.25 relaxed to 1.5" accuracy requirements.

I'm sorry, but I have to laugh at this. By the comment made above, the R1 outshoots every gun in that ill-fated trial. That's a mighty big list of heavy hitters that this new GI upsets. I question the R1 article and it's relevance to the FBI trial. Apples to apples? Me thinks not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” -George Orwell
Old 01-20-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Room 055 View Post
Ahhhh...the coveted FBI SWAT pistol trials with Golden Sabre 230 grain and 1.25 relaxed to 1.5" accuracy requirements.

I'm sorry, but I have to laugh at this. By the comment made above, the R1 outshoots every gun in that ill-fated trial. That's a mighty big list of heavy hitters that this new GI upsets. I question the R1 article and it's relevance to the FBI trial. Apples to apples? Me thinks not.
i didin't say all guns, just the Mimber
Old 01-20-2011, 06:58 PM

The R1's I have seen and held were not overly impressive in fit or finish, add to that the cast frame, and absolutely horrendous rollmark, and it really does not appeal to me at all. My vote is for the Custom II.

1911-Because when you run out of ammo, steel leaves a more lasting impression on a bad guy's forehead than plastic!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 11:09 PM

And Kimber has a "Custom" shop...right...
COTEFT #2
Old 01-21-2011, 12:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knedrgr View Post
And Kimber has a "Custom" shop...right...
Sure they do. I got one on order with no FCS, naked slide and a flush crowned barrel.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:12 AM

I own a Custom II... and love it. But that doesn't mean we're both looking for the same things. Travel around different gun shops, and physically feel both guns, and see which one feels more natural to grip. Best of luck
Closed Thread