1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 01-17-2011, 02:40 PM

Thoughts on the Ruger 22/45 Hunter

Gents, I am planning on getting a .22 handgun. I've looked at the GSG and was not at all impressed. I've thought about just getting the .22 slide conversion to use with my SA Loaded, but I'd rather have a whole gun. Any opinions good or bad from owners or those with experience with the Ruger 22/45.. I'm looking at the 5 1/2" fluted stainless with the fiber optic adjustable target sights and the interchangeable grip panels.

Thanks Vike

Last edited by Vike; 01-17-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:51 PM

I don't have a 22/45, but I have shot a 5.5 inch bull barrel MkII for many many years now. It's killed a lot of squirrels over the years. As my gun is primarily used for hunting small game, I'm not a fan of the shallow V rear sights on the Hunter model. I prefer target sights on my 22 pistols for hunting. It just gives me a more accurate sight picture. Others may like the shallow V just fine.

From an accuracy standpoint, off bags my MkII will put 10 shots into an inch and a half at 25 yds all day long. My guess is the Hunter would do the same once you found the right ammo for it.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:03 PM

I don't have a 22/45, but I do have a Mark III Hunter 5.5". I've put maybe 10k through it. Here are my thoughts:
Pro: it's a solid, well-made gun. I like the all-steel construction much better than the polymer-frame of the 22/45. It's also very accurate.
Con: reliability is mediocre. Cases get stuck behind the guide rod. Like all Rugers, the mechanical design is clever and novel. However, I find disassembly a PIA.
COTEP #0381
"I have one simple request... and that is to have sharks with fricking laser beams attached to their heads!"
--Dr. Evil
Old 01-17-2011, 03:33 PM

I have one. I have had 0 malfunctions that weren't mag related. The top round has to be tilted up to feed properly. I would look for the RP model. It has the 1911 style grip panels. Go here for the best information on the Rugers:
http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/...ce50dee0292e57
There is a ton of information at this site. Photo help on field and detail stripping. Other diagnostic help...
Joe
Old 01-17-2011, 03:41 PM

Have had a Ruger 22/45 for some years now. It has consumed cases upon cases of CCI Minimags. They are great pistols. For best shooting [and hitting] stick to target sights. Even after some 75,000 rounds my 22/45 will group into .75" at 25 yards from a sitting rest all day long.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:07 PM

I had one. My only real complaint is that the sight (V notch and fiber optic front) was too course for what I wanted (target gun). Seemed to run fine. I'd like another 22/45, but I think I'd go for the removable grip version. Those just look pretty sweet.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:32 PM

I have the 4" SS MKIII Hunter. My brother and Son both have the 5-1/2" HB MKIII Targets. All 3 have the Hunter Fiber Optic Sights. We shoot them in Rimfire Division in our Clubs Defensive Pistol Match. The all 3 run pretty well most of the time. They seem to be a hair picky about ammo. All of ours like Federal Auto Match, and Federal 550 PK. They do not like Remington Golden Bullets, and the last Bulk Pak Winchesters we got were not real great either.

Mine has the Allen Screw Takedown conversion. Simply remove the allen screw, and pull the bolt out. I also have the Magazine Ejector conversion, extended Magazine Release, and Hogue rubber grips.

I would go with a MK III myself.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:56 PM

I look at them almost every time I am in Cabela's as they are just sitting there looking so sweet.
I have held the 22/45 and just do not like it just does not feel right.
Plus the all SS all metal Hunter is so nice. Just can not justify one as I have had the MKII
a long time
Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 PM

Bought the Mark III 5 1/2" S.S. Bull Barrel with adjustable rear sights last year.
Outstanding firearm,no problems,eats CCI MiniMag solid points like candy.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 PM

Rimfirecentral.com

go here for info/discussion on the Ruger .22's:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

Good subjects covered are trigger mods, how to deal with the issues w/ Mk III's, accessories.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:31 PM

I was shooting mine today. Very accurate on clay birds on the bank at 35 yards. Not a hit every shot, but often enough. I have a Ciener Platinum Cup on my SA Loaded SS. It rides there almost all of the time.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:40 PM

Another vote for the MKIII HB in blue or stainless. Adjustable sights are a must for me on .22's. Also, I don't like the polymer frame on the 22/45's. I'm not willing to bet they'll last for the years of use that a steel frame will. Plus, unknown support, parts, etc., in those future years.

But, if the budget allows it, by all means go with a .45 frame .22 conversion.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:00 AM

I've got a couple of 22/45 MK III pistols.

They're not bad.

I've also got five MK II pistols. I much prefer the MK II.

You know what I find ridiculous? People who use the word ridiculous and can't spell it.

Alot is NOT A WORD. A lot is the opposite of a little.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:49 AM

I am not a big fan of the 22/45, just don't like the way it looks and feels. The Mark III is much more to my liking. I also like the Buckmark. These are both good 22's.

If you want to stick with the 1911 theme, then the Kimber 22's are very nice too. My only gripe with them is that they are all aluminum, and feel a bit too light--I think Kimber should have made them with a steel frame to get them closer to the feel of a .45 1911. Buying Ciener mags helps some, as they are quite heavy and add some heft to the pistol.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340six View Post
I look at them almost every time I am in Cabela's as they are just sitting there looking so sweet.
I have held the 22/45 and just do not like it just does not feel right.
Plus the all SS all metal Hunter is so nice. Just can not justify one as I have had the MKII
a long time
Please share with us the source for those nice grips! They look like VZ's, but VZ doesn't list grips for the MKIII. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannibul View Post
I've got a couple of 22/45 MK III pistols.

They're not bad.

I've also got five MK II pistols. I much prefer the MK II.
Please expand and tells us why you prefer the MK II.

The Rugers I have picked up and tested for trigger have had universally gritty, long terrible triggers.

That can be fixed with the VQ parts I am told.
NRA Life Member
Old 01-18-2011, 10:45 AM

Thank you for all of the replies, and please keep them coming. I've decided based on your posts to look more closely at the Mk III over the 22/45. What would you guys suggest for a holster for the Ruger? Any other little tweaks, devices, accouterments etc. that a guy should look into?

Thanks Vike
Old 01-18-2011, 10:47 AM

Tactical Solutions kydex holster
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=429568
COTEP #0381
"I have one simple request... and that is to have sharks with fricking laser beams attached to their heads!"
--Dr. Evil
Old 01-18-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Please expand and tells us why you prefer the MK II.

The Rugers I have picked up and tested for trigger have had universally gritty, long terrible triggers.

That can be fixed with the VQ parts I am told.
No magazine safety to be removed.

Also there has not been a MK III made with a 10.5" barrel as far as I know.

You know what I find ridiculous? People who use the word ridiculous and can't spell it.

Alot is NOT A WORD. A lot is the opposite of a little.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:58 PM

I too was in the same position as you several years ago.
Looked at conversion kits for my 1911s and the 22/45, did not like the plastic.
Looked at mark III did not like the locks.
Found a brand new Mark II target model, I paid $250 for it and I love it it always go bang up until it need cleaning.
Mine feeds and shoot anything so far, and my daughters really enjoy it a lot. Always puts smiles on their faces.
Let us know what you chose and how it works. If the 22/45 was all steel and no locks That's what I would have bought for sure, but I love my Mark II......it was money well spent.
"Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?" Helms writing in 1959 on compromise in politics.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:14 PM

For hunting or plinking purposes just get an Uncle Mikes nylon holster for $20.00 which is what I bought when I bought the gun.
Don't forget a good cleaning kit and a can of Breakfree CLP.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:20 PM

Do you have a link for this 22/45 in stainless w/ removable panels??? I didn't know there was such a thing.

But for the record, I've got the 22/45 RP and love it. Perfect companion.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBlast View Post
Do you have a link for this 22/45 in stainless w/ removable panels??? I didn't know there was such a thing.
I believe THIS is what you are looking for.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBlast View Post

But for the record, I've got the 22/45 RP and love it. Perfect companion.

I like the wood and black combo so much better than the half SS and plastic black lool

CarbonFootprint
Those are custom Monkey grips from Larry Davidson look in the magazine/holster/grips section here. there is a few good threads with lots of pictures
Old 01-19-2011, 11:23 AM

I just purchased a ruger Mk I (red eagle too) and a ruger MK II with the bull barrel both pistols are awesome. These were used and one was never takin apart to be cleaned, it was all leaded up. I disassembled both 22 cal pistols and lubed them with moly. They look and shoot like there still new. I found both of these for under $200 oneday. I had one before and parted with it regretting it ever since. Bill

If you like it and it feels good in your hand then get it. I don't like the conversion kits either. I want a 22cal gun by itself.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, besafe do it right......