1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Browning Hi-Power

Old 01-15-2011, 04:07 PM

No-Go headspace on new Barrel

I bought one of those Olympic Arms 9mm BHP barrels off of GunBroker a few months back. Never shot it but fitted it to my BHP MkII. Today I tried my No-Go headspace gauge and it appears to have failed the test. With the No-Go gauge in the barrel, closed battery, I can pull the trigger and the hammer falls.
Is this a failure? Seems to me it is. But is this because the breach did not stay open enough or if the sear lever is to long?
What about fitting the barrel? Or should I scrap it and look for another?
Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by grapeman600; 01-16-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:30 PM

Take the barrel out. Drop the no go gage into the chamber. Measure how far below flush with the rear face of the barrel that the gage drops.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:00 PM

I measured the length of the barrel from the muzzle to the chamber end but not the tab at the top or the ramp on the bottom. This length was 4.670 - I then put the No-Go gauge in the chamber and measured the length at 4.796

Is this what you wanted?
Old 01-16-2011, 12:33 PM

It's hard to measure this way on the HP, due to the headspace including the slide recessed area around the breechface. I think you could do it if you used shimstock of varing thicknesses between the breechface and the chamber gauge to ascertain the difference. I'd send the barrel back and get a new one. Best,
Old 01-16-2011, 04:25 PM

To be a little more clearer, with the No-Go gauge in the chamber the slide will go nearly all the way into battery. It is probably .010 out.

Does anyone know how to officially check headspace on a BHP?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:46 PM

Referencing an old article by C. E. Harris in RIFLE magazine and a recent conversation with the S&W Performnce Center on this subject, SAAMI max chamber length for 9X19 mm is .776". "No Go" would be .777". If your "No Go" guage is ~.777" and your gun won't go into battery by about .010", your chamber would be approximately the middle of the acceptable range at about .767", still pretty loose judging from the barrels I've measured. But the deal with "No Go" guages is that the gun should not go into battery with the guage installed in the chamber. The gun should not be able to be fired, ( hammer should not drop when trigger is pulled with "No Go" guage in chamber ). I have measured the headspace on a number of 9mm pistols over a period of several years. The tightest was .758" and the loosest headspace, on a standard factory gun, was .765". I measure headspace on Hi Powers, and other 9mm pistols, as Don Williams mentions. I might mention, that FN controls the headspace on the factory barrels very well IMHO. The FN/Browning Hi Powers I've measured were all between .758" and .761". As most factory 9mm cases I've measured were .745", or less, and I've rarely come across a 9mm case that was actually .754",I prefer headspace to be as tight as possible on my personal 9mms. I did use an Olympic barrel in one of my guns but, unfortunately, never thought to measure the headspace on it.

I know my explaination is a bit long, but the bottom line is this: with the "No Go" guage in the chamber, the gun should NOT go into battery. If your gun will go into battery with the "No Go" guage installed, I'd do as Don suggests and send that barrel back. ymmv
Old 01-26-2011, 05:10 AM

OP:
Your first post you say: "With the No-Go gauge in the barrel, closed battery, I can pull the trigger and the hammer falls. "
Then in post #5 you say: "...with the No-Go gauge in the chamber the slide will go nearly all the way into battery. "

In the first post did you force the pistol into battery? If so, then I think that pulling trigger, hammer falling is correct.
In post #5, with the slide out of battery, does pulling the trigger cause the hammer to fall? It shouldn't.

My understanding of Go/NoGo gauges is they are a quick and relatively accurate way to determine if a chamber is too long. With a Go gauge, pistol should go into battery, once in battery work as it's supposed to. With a NoGo gauge, and without forcing it (basically, ride the slide down, close it gently), the pistol should not go into battery. Out of battery, it shouldn't work.

I could be completely wrong on how it's supposed to work, if so, someone feel free to figuratively smack me in the head in this thread.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:26 PM

To be a little more clear. With the NO-GO gauge in the barrel, the slide will go "nearly" all the way forward. It is perhaps .010" from being all the way closed.

I think Rock185's explanation is the best I have seen so far. In the case of a Hi-Power (or any gun for that matter), you are NOT checking to see if the trigger can be pulled and if the hammer will fall (something I mistakenly carried over from working on 1911's). Rather you are checking to see if the chamber is to long. If the NO-GO gauge keeps the slide from closing "all the way" then it passes the test (make sure it is not being held back by the extractor). Obviously the "GO" gauge should allow the slide to close "all the way".
Old 01-27-2011, 07:09 PM

Hopefully this post will clear up the rest of my posts on this subject - at least in regards to my Hi-Power and my Olympic Arms barrel.

First I just measured my NO-GO gauge - it is .776"

With this NO-GO gauge in the chamber, and the slide closed all the way it can. I can measure the distance the slide is held open at the rear of the slide/frame. Using a set of feeler gauges, I measured that the slide is being held open .019".

Now before someone goes a questions my method, I have matched (file/sanded) the rear of the slide to the rear of the frame.

Taking .776" and subtracting .019" you get .757". SAAMI standard for the 9mm is .754" which says this barrel slide combination is within .003" of standard. Which is not all that bad.