1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 01-11-2011, 07:37 PM

Kimber Pro Crimson Carry 11 Owners?

Hey Guy/Gals I just purchased a new Pro Crimson Carry 11. I was just wondering if there are any other of you that own one and how do you like it? I haven't seen much on the forums about this particular model. I have never had a gun with a laser, and my eyes aren't what they used to be so I thought it might be a good idea for me. If the bullet will actually hit where the laser is pointing that would be great for me. I plan on using it for my nightstand gun, and maybe some concealed carry every now and then. Are the laser's pretty accurate? How about the gun itself? Does it have a pretty good reputation? I haven't shot it yet, I just got it today, and can't wait to try it out. I am not new to Kimber's I have an Ultra CDP11 that's been great right out of the box so far. I guess I have about 800 rounds through it. Anyway I just wanted some input from you Pro Crimson Carry owners concerning the laser, and the gun itself. Happy with it or not? Thanks
Old 01-11-2011, 10:10 PM

I just bought the Kimber Custom Crimson Carry II on Sunday. It's my 1st Kimber, and I've not been to the range yet.

I'm interested in feedback as well. About the only thing I was thinking of doing was adding some night sights to it - thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:28 PM

I just put one on layaway. It should be close to a perfect carry pistol. I will have mine in a couple of weeks. I currently have a Kimber Target II and love it. I ordered an shark skin IWB holster from Wilson Combat today for the Pro Carry. It will be my every day carry oncd I know it's good to go.

I am looking forward to hearing more about it.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:39 PM

I have a Pro Crimson Carry and a Glock with a laser.

Are they accurate? Yes. If adjusted correctly.
Both the Glock and the Kimber are rock solid dependable.

I use my laser for trigger practice.
I'd suggest that you do the same.

If you intend to use it for live fire, use it as much as you can. With that said, trigger practice is critical.

The bullet will hit where the laser dot is pointed. When the firing pin hits the primer. That could be an inch or more off of your point of aim if your trigger pull sucks.

Trigger practice, trigger practice, trigger practice and more trigger practice is what you'll need the most of.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:21 AM

Just traded my tricked out XDm for a Ultra Crimson Carry II. LOVE IT!!

Old 01-12-2011, 09:44 AM

I bought a Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II for my wife and took it to the range the other day. It shoots as well as my Custom II with a little extra felt recoil.

I really like the Crimson Trace grips and may end up putting them on my Custom II at some point. I tried them in several fire modes if you will. i.e. bright ambient light both with a sight picture and without; and low ambient light with and without a sight picture. I shot at 7 yards on all accounts. I found shooting the gun with a sight picture (looking down the front sight as normal) with the laser on to be distracting, but still very accurate. I preferred to use the laser when getting the gun up to a good sight picture was inconvenient. i.e. abnormal shooting positions. The laser really gives you feed back on your hand movement, and just like iron sights, you will see a point of impact shift if you don't have good trigger control. I like that the laser is giving you this feedback constantly though.

I bought this gun for my wife to carry on a daily basis and keep on the nightstand when I'm away from home working. I would turn the battery for the laser off during most shooting scenarios and use it when you are in low light conditions. I feel putting night sights on this gun and using them simultaneously with the laser would be a hindrance, as there would be too much going on for the eye in low light.

I put a box of RN 230g through it with no FTF issues other than one case that was out of tolerance (too long; from the factory even???). I calipered it when I got home to verify it was over .898" in length.

The Pro Crimson Carry II conceals better than my full size Custom II, and the recoil is only slightly more noticeable. The accuracy is similar, and I'd only say I'd prefer the full size if absolute precision was dictated.

My wife has been taking combat pistol courses with her Springfield XD Service Model in 45acp, but wishes she had used my Kimber Custom II as she shoots it more accurately. I bought her this Pro Crimson Carry to replace both her SA XD and her normal 9mm carry Kel-Tec PF9. I gave it to her early (b-day present) last night and she absolute love the feel and smooth action.

It's a winner in my opinion!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” -George Orwell

Last edited by Room 055; 01-12-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:40 PM

Thanks Guys these replies are making me feel confident about my purchase and choice.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:35 PM

Had mine for about 6 months now and no problems whatsoever. I did a little clean up on some of the internals just to smooth up the trigger.Added a small radius FPS and a Wolf spring.Recoil now is more like a 5" 1911.Laser grips work great,but I use them more for practice and dry fire drills at home.I went with the Mepro night sights too.Very easy to shoot in the dark,even for my bad eyes. Just one thing left to do----flush cut and crown barrel!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:03 PM

I have one and to be honest I was not impressed at first. I shoot weekly with full knowledge of my abilities. Out of the box this thing shot pretty large groups and the groups were low and left. I continued with the break in each week with about 150 to 200 rounds thru it at each outing. Every time I took the gun home, cleaned it and brought back the the range those groups tightened up. By somewhere between 700 and 900 rounds it was perfectly accurate..... just low and left. I sent the slide back to Kimber with a note (at their request) explaining it was 5" low and 4" left at 20 yards. They re-adjusted the front sight and sent it back (about 5 weeks) and its right on the money! I am very impressed with the accuracy and reliability of the gun. The laser is set to 20 yards also. Its my first laser and its great for a SD gun. Its useless outside in the sun but inside any building or in low light it will drastically speed your aim. The activation button works better after some break in also so dont be afraid to play with it.... the battery lasts really well too.
For what started out to be a purchase I wasn't too sure about......... I'm very glad I bought this gun. It suits my carry needs perfectly!
Social Justice: The concept of charging the government to take wealth from those who have been productive and redistribute it to individuals who have not been productive in order to prevent them from ever being motivated enough to attain social, economic or mental independence. (modern slavery)
"1911 Stuff"
Old 01-12-2011, 10:36 PM

How did they adjust your fixed sights for drop??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” -George Orwell
Old 01-13-2011, 01:36 AM
Banned

i dont have a pro but i do have a custom and well i do have to say i love it to death. not quite broken in yet but not one ftf thus far. i cant complain....
Old 01-13-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Room 055 View Post
How did they adjust your fixed sights for drop??
I dont know if they actually put a new sight on or filed the one I have....... I cant tell, it looks great so........ I'm not complaining.
Social Justice: The concept of charging the government to take wealth from those who have been productive and redistribute it to individuals who have not been productive in order to prevent them from ever being motivated enough to attain social, economic or mental independence. (modern slavery)
"1911 Stuff"
Old 01-13-2011, 10:26 AM

I purchased the Pro Crimson Carry II about 3 weeks ago. Put the requested break in rounds through it without a glitch! Only problem I had was some of the ejected brass would hit me in the head! It was sent back to Kimber last week with some Meprolights I can't wait to get her back to see if they were able to fix the problem and see what the sights look like. For now I'm carrying a ultra carry II with Crimson grips. I have to say, I love this thing! Feels like the same weight as my Pro Carry and the shorter length is a bit nicer for carry.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:31 AM

meprolights

Was thinking of grabbing the Pro model myself as i have read some good feedback on them but i definitely want the night sights.
How much is Kimber charging you for the meprolights and to install them ?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcartwright27 View Post
Was thinking of grabbing the Pro model myself as i have read some good feedback on them but i definitely want the night sights.
How much is Kimber charging you for the meprolights and to install them ?
I purchased the Meprolights separately from MidwayUSA. They were running a really good deal on them. I don't know the labor charge Kimber will want. I have heard from $35-$45? I don't know how accurate that is, no pun intended.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf330ci View Post
I don't know the labor charge Kimber will want. I have heard from $35-$45? I don't know how accurate that is, no pun intended.
Since they aren't staked, it should run the standard 1 hour labor rate. My smith is charging $25 to put them on and sight them. Staked (aka Glock) typically run about $10 more, so around $35. I wouldn't doubt that Kimber charges a premium to put them on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by Room 055; 01-13-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I purchased the Meprolights separately from MidwayUSA. They were running a really good deal on them. I don't know the labor charge Kimber will want. I have heard from $35-$45? I don't know how accurate that is, no pun intended.
You'll dig those sights!

I had the same issue.
Catching empties on the forehead.

I had to send mine back twice.

Second time was the charm!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Since they aren't staked, it should run the stand 1 hour labor rate. My smith is charging $25 to put them on and sight them. Staked (aka Glock) typically run about $10 more, so around $35. I wouldn't doubt that Kimber charges a premium to put them on.
So are you thinking my estimates for labor are correct?
Old 01-13-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Not View Post
You'll dig those sights!

I had the same issue.
Catching empties on the forehead.

I had to send mine back twice.

Second time was the charm!
I am pumped about getting them! The Ultra Carry I am using now has them and it is SOOOOO much easier to get sight alignment. Kimber told me it would be about 3-6 weeks before I would get it back though. I am trying to be patient haha
Old 01-13-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
So are you thinking my estimates for labor are correct?
Probably about right. But then you have to pay shipping to get your gun to Kimber. I'd take it to a local smith.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 01-13-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Probably about right. But then you have to pay shipping to get your gun to Kimber. I'd take it to a local smith.
Well, Kimber paid for the shipping since I had something wrong with the gun....
Old 01-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Banned

why go 4" when you can go 5? that extra inch makes me feel godly.

damn i remember saying that when i was 17
Old 01-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Banned

just thought id share some vid from when i went to the range yesterday with my custom crimson. its link from my fb so lmk if it doesnt work

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....=video_comment
Old 01-13-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyNo View Post
just thought id share some vid from when i went to the range yesterday with my custom crimson. its link from my fb so lmk if it doesnt work

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....=video_comment
It dosn't work.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Banned

here this should work. i'll have some more intresting videos to post once i get out to boon town for some good ol' drunken shootin fun i like shooting my bow when im drunk. i feel like i have more concentration and a more steady hand for those 40 yard shots lol

heres the sexy beast right here

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...6-52-50_97.mp4