1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 01-11-2011, 11:59 AM

Best Upgrades for a Sig 1911?????

Hi everybody.I figured I'd ask this while I wait for my sig1911. What are the most common and the most functional upgrades to be done to the Sig 1911???I ask this mainly because i know the Sig 1911 is a production custom(in a sense) with some stock custom parts. Please enlighten me,all input is appreciated.Thank you

~R

Last edited by Widowmaker0001; 01-11-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Added
Old 01-11-2011, 05:18 PM

Don't fix what isn't broken, can be applied to most 1911's.
Grips personalize a pistol. Plenty of reliable ammo. Quality magazines, I like 8 rounders. Does it have good sights? The kind you like?
Magwell guides are nice for some, I don't have them on my carry though.
Front strap checkering if it doesn't have that, but agggresive grips might compensate. Flush cut and crowned muzzel is trick. De-horned makes pistols easy on holsters, and Bobtail and refinish are both practical for a daily carry.

Grips and ammo. Professional instruction is amazing, useful.
Practical, quality holster is good investment.

Shooting and saving will set you up for the next pistol, with features you missed on this one.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:19 PM

The nice thing about owning a SIG 1911 is, while no changes or upgrades are necessary, your available upgrades/changes are limitless. I purchased a new stainless SIG 1911 Carry in early 2009. I have basically only made 3 changes to it.

First, my pistol came with a recess in the mainspring housing for attachment of a lanyard, and it bothered the heel of my shooting hand. So, I ordered a new stainless steel ED Brown 25lpi checkered mainspring housing and replaced it.

Secondly, I ordered a couple pairs of new grips that I rotate periodically, it's kind of like getting a new pistol every time that I change them.

Third, I converted my pistol from a series 80 type firing pin safety to a series 70 type utilizing the TJ's frame slot blank ordered from Brownell's.

For me, that's been it. It's been a great trouble free pistol for me.

Good luck with your new 1911 pistol.

Last edited by wproct; 01-11-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:54 PM

Sounds good so far.It is an Xo.Im sure i'll be grip changing.Magwells' I love as a im a run in gunner'.So I'm under the impression that most of the aftermarket goodies for the 1911 fit the Sig version??Thanks for the Input again

~R
Old 01-11-2011, 11:31 PM

Sig 1911's use a external extractor of their own design. Sig slides are a drifferent shape in section. Small parts, hammer, sear, trigger, sights, magwell, mag release, grips, are all 1911. They ues a "series 80" FPS similer to Colt.

BTW Sig Nitron finish is excellent. Will cost alot of money to improve to any noticable degree, and stainless underneath anyway.

Last edited by Onegoodshot; 01-12-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:16 AM

Onegoodshot-Thanks for the input,it is very appreciated.

Yeah,I am most likely doing a grip change,magwell and shoot it.If the trigger isn't to my liking(to heavy,bad break,etc.),then that might have to go too,but I hope not...thanks again

-R
Old 01-12-2011, 05:55 AM

Your trigger will have to go.
Mine is sloppy and pulls to hard.
I have plans to work on the trigger myself soon!
other then that the gun is great!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthemfirearms View Post
Your trigger will have to go.
Mine is sloppy and pulls to hard.
I have plans to work on the trigger myself soon!
other then that the gun is great!
Sigs don't have sloppy triggers and changing the trigger will have next to nothing to do with trigger pull weight. Sig triggers are set to 4.5-5.5

Just because yours does doesn't mean they all do.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom2 View Post
Sigs don't have sloppy triggers and changing the trigger will have next to nothing to do with trigger pull weight. Sig triggers are set to 4.5-5.5

Just because yours does doesn't mean they all do.
i have to agree with custom2, i have a gsr revolution carry, manf date sept 06, it has the best trigger of all the 1911's i have..very little take up. no creep. and a very light trigger pull...
Old 01-12-2011, 08:54 AM

just saying i have a lot of vertical movement slop with my trigger. needs to be replaced with something tighter.
i will be polishing and fine tuning the hammer, sear and sear spring.
to my liking.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

FYI, your gun has an EGW sear with the angles pre cut. I would leave it alone.

Polish everything else though. You can work wonders by polishing the trigger track and trigger bow, disconnector surface that meets the trigger bow and hammer hooks.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:20 AM

thanks for the tips i was going to it a little at a time.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:31 AM

For me, on my 1911's, trigger is critical. I'm simply uncomfortable, and a mediocre shot with out a good trigger. (I need the wind, the weather, and holding my tongue just right anyway!)
My Sigs (1911's) have had far better than average "out of box" triggers.
anthemfirearms, bad luck for you, sounds like you got the Friday quitting time trigger.

But triggers are not expensive to make sweet, the rest of the pistol is great value.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onegoodshot View Post
For me, on my 1911's, trigger is critical. I'm simply uncomfortable, and a mediocre shot with out a good trigger. (I need the wind, the weather, and holding my tongue just right anyway!)
My Sigs (1911's) have had far better than average "out of box" triggers.
anthemfirearms, bad luck for you, sounds like you got the Friday quitting time trigger.

But triggers are not expensive to make sweet, the rest of the pistol is great value.
You guys are very imformative.I know from my friends older GSR model Xo he has a very nice factory set trigger.When i held my Xo that i was thinking about buying (before I actually paid the sales guy)I tried to shake it,push/pull on the slide laterally and opposing to feel the tolerences and fit. IMHO the Sig 1911 was very well built.I then took the Sig 1911 and pulled the slide back and looked inside,the factory feed ramp and barrel were polished.The final thing I check for in my 1911s' is the rear view of the pistol and check the slide/frame,beaver tail/frame, etc. fitment.And then look at the other brands of 1911's they have near it(usually they keep the 1911's together reguardless of brands at my store) to compare the other manufacturers fitment of parts externally.Then I make my decision.The Xo won the mini "Widowmaker" comparison test at the store and was purchased.
They had a Nighthawk in front of me and a Wilson next to it to compare to and the fit and finish to me were really comparable,if not better(the Sig slide looks more worked/expensive IMHO).The Sig seemed to hold its own.I have a Springfield TRP and honestly am not that happy with it,but thats what i get for wanting a good "Springfield 1911",you know.All the bells and whistles and a bunch of MIM snuck in to save them some money... my bud told me the Sig he he got back in the day,came with all steel internals and that kept in my head to this day.Thought i should share my thoughts.Thanks again guys.

~R
Old 01-12-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker0001 View Post
You guys are very imformative.I know from my friends older GSR model Xo he has a very nice factory set trigger.When i held my Xo that i was thinking about buying (before I actually paid the sales guy)I tried to shake it,push/pull on the slide laterally and opposing to feel the tolerences and fit. IMHO the Sig 1911 was very well built.I then took the Sig 1911 and pulled the slide back and looked inside,the factory feed ramp and barrel were polished.The final thing I check for in my 1911s' is the rear view of the pistol and check the slide/frame,beaver tail/frame, etc. fitment.And then look at the other brands of 1911's they have near it(usually they keep the 1911's together reguardless of brands at my store) to compare the other manufacturers fitment of parts externally.Then I make my decision.The Xo won the mini "Widowmaker" comparison test at the store and was purchased.
They had a Nighthawk in front of me and a Wilson next to it to compare to and the fit and finish to me were really comparable,if not better(the Sig slide looks more worked/expensive IMHO).The Sig seemed to hold its own.I have a Springfield TRP and honestly am not that happy with it,but thats what i get for wanting a good "Springfield 1911",you know.All the bells and whistles and a bunch of MIM snuck in to save them some money... my bud told me the Sig he he got back in the day,came with all steel internals and that kept in my head to this day.Thought i should share my thoughts.Thanks again guys.

~R
Sounds like you got the Friday quitting time TRP. Most are famously good.
If its a specific issue, SA might make good on it. Don't get caught spilling MIM Kool-aid on yourself. Good MIM is far better than poor machine or forge parts. Everything in context, everything in excecution. Good is good, crap is crap. JMO I think you made excellent choice.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onegoodshot View Post
Sounds like you got the Friday quitting time TRP. Most are famously good.
If its a specific issue, SA might make good on it. Don't get caught spilling MIM Kool-aid on yourself. Good MIM is far better than poor machine or forge parts. Everything in context, everything in excecution. Good is good, crap is crap. JMO I think you made excellent choice.
Onegoodshot-Thanks,I do believe I'm happy with the purchase.My Springfield TRPrr as I like to call it,it just not what I thought it would be.The fitment is ok,the finish is nice,the balance is a little off.Over all a decent 1911.My friends have kinda spoiled me by having Nighthawks,Wilsons,Les Baurs,an Ed Brown,and a few HK's.i've been a mil guy my whole life(only 29 tho)and have used the M9 regularly.I opted from my CO to use a .45,which I got a Kimber that worked flawlessly from a friend that had already worked any"bugs" out.The Xo felt ,looked,and reminded me of my buds more pricey pistols.But times changed and the Kimber had to go,so I got the Springer,it was almost as good to me,a little more loose,is the best way to put it.I think the slide/frame fit could've been better.We'll see how this Xo turns out,maybe i'll have to sell the TRP and get another Sig.Thanks All,and you too Onegoodshot.Any other input is always welcome too

~R

Last edited by Widowmaker0001; 01-12-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:55 PM

To me, the best upgrades are some good magazines and several thousand rounds of ammo.

Maybe the GUN won't be ugraded, but YOU will.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent375hh View Post
To me, the best upgrades are some good magazines and several thousand rounds of ammo.

Maybe the GUN won't be ugraded, but YOU will.
true this.Thank you

~R
Old 01-12-2011, 09:29 PM

I installed a Smith Alexander magwell on mine and aside from the fact I haven't blended the inside of the well yet it was a drop in part.

If you like where your gun hits, the front sight is an odd height if you are looking to add a fiber optic. Dawson will make you one to your height needs.

I also used Smith Alexander square cut micarta grips. Not pretty but they have the right amount of grip for me.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastluck13 View Post
I installed a Smith Alexander magwell on mine and aside from the fact I haven't blended the inside of the well yet it was a drop in part.

If you like where your gun hits, the front sight is an odd height if you are looking to add a fiber optic. Dawson will make you one to your height needs.

I also used Smith Alexander square cut micarta grips. Not pretty but they have the right amount of grip for me.
Good to know.I didn't know the front sight was of odd height?So what do people usually do for a front fiberoptic sight??

-R
Old 01-13-2011, 05:50 PM

The front is .190 and you will probably find .180 and .200 easy. Dawson is a good option or get an adjustable rear.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:33 PM

kk.I'll see how it's aiming at the range then go from there.Thanks for the input.

~R
Old 01-23-2011, 08:28 PM

mine is an older one, 2008 i had an ambi safety(im a lefty)installed and that is it. it shoots great, and came with low mount novak night sights. it works so i havent messed with it. i use the factory novak mags but it doesent seem to dislike any mags that i have used(tripp, wilson, and chips). it is my daily carry and i shoot idpa with it as well.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:24 PM

forgot i added a set of vz operator grips too.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:51 AM

Ditch the grip safety for a ed brown hi sweep unit or similiar. I absolutely despise the grip safety of the sigs. Its bulky and too think imo. Mines going by by here in the near future