1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 01-02-2011, 12:04 PM

Simple green as a gun cleaner?

We know a gunsmith I asked him what he cleaned guns with he told my wife and I simple green. thats a new one on me. he went on to say never use wd-40 on a firearm as it gums them up if you leave it on for a long time
we use EEZOX or BALLISTOL we may give the SIMPLE GREEN a try
this guy looks to be in his late 60's and he told me he has worked as a gun smith all his life.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2128 View Post
We know a gunsmith I asked him what he cleaned guns with he told my wife and I simple green. thats a new one on me. he went on to say never use wd-40 on a firearm as it gums them up if you leave it on for a long time
we use EEZOX or BALLISTOL we may give the SIMPLE GREEN a try
this guy looks to be in his late 60's and he told me he has worked as a gun smith all his life.
I use Simple Green on the polymer frame of my S/A XD and it works real well. Never used it on any of my 1911's however.

Fin
Old 01-02-2011, 12:27 PM

No idea if this is true still or not but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way. I used it once as a cleaner on my yamaha R6 and after one use it literally pitted the frame of the bike which I believe was aluminum. It was a long time ago (2002).
Triple Nickel holder #63
Fast is fine, but accuracy is final
Old 01-02-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
We know a gunsmith I asked him what he cleaned guns with he told my wife and I simple green. thats a new one on me.
I know someone that scrubs his all-steel 1911 with Dawn dish washing detergent, hot water and a scrub brush in the kitchen sink. He then oven dries it, let's it cool on a rack like a batch of cookies, lubes, reassembles and gets on with life. He's been doing it for years (I've witnessed this routine many times over) and his gun shoots really, really well in my limited, but first-hand, experience. To look at, or shot his 1911, you'd never suspect the unorthodox cleaning method. I've heard of GLOCK users putting their pistols through the dishwasher to clean them but have no first-hand experience with that.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:38 PM

It works great on my black powder guns. I've never tried it on any of my others since you have to dry it off. It doesn't evaporate like solvent.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:44 PM

I used simple green to clean an engine once and it stripped the "flat" black paint off the accessories on the engine. never tried it on a gun.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:07 PM

I've used it on Glocks. I first use a powder solvent on the frame and then use the simple green to wash away any solvent or oil.
Really get the black out of the corners.

I wouldn't use it on a blued steel gun.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSMedic View Post
No idea if this is true still or not but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way. I used it once as a cleaner on my yamaha R6 and after one use it literally pitted the frame of the bike which I believe was aluminum. It was a long time ago (2002).
Yup, that stuff is bad juju for anything aluminum.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:26 PM

I have used Simple Green bicycle chain degreaser for, well, bike cleaning and for firearms. I have an aluminum frame bike and have had no issue with that. I mostly use it to clean my barrels and exterior.

H. L. Mencken
Old 01-02-2011, 01:35 PM

As a pilot I was taught and there was a DOD directive that said in part, Simple Green was very corrosive to aluminum, and it was to be kept away from any high strength alloy. They wanted it purged from all aviation shops and component washing equipment. You could still use it to clean the floor.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:07 PM

would it be ok on a stanless gun?
eezox and ballistol are hard on the lungs and skin
simple green is biodegradable and it smells ok
but i don't want to screw up my guns
I guess its time to search the web for more info
Old 01-02-2011, 02:08 PM

There are so many good alternatives to the use of Simple Green that I'd be careful. It certainly is a good degreaser as I've used it on bicycle chains, etc.

But it uses water as a mix agent, similar to the Dawn detergent mentioned above. Sure it can work, but read the label to make sure the chemicals aren't the kind that might harm your gun or its parts. Then the drying becomes essential because of the water.

As there are so many fine choices in cleaning solutions, I'd approach any such formula with care.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:13 PM

If you are going to use "regular" Simple Green, then do not let it sit on the parts for very long. It can discolor parts, but I've never seen it cause pitting. I'd feel better/safer using Extreme Simple Green Aircraft & Precision Cleaner.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:05 PM

I think i'm going to pass on it for now and stick with ballistol or eezox
Old 01-02-2011, 03:14 PM

Here's an idea...

Hoppe's #9 and friggin gun oil....

You know what? Some things can't be re-invented...the wheel for instance.

"Today these eyes scan bleached-out land for the coming of the outbound stage" - Bruce Cockburn - Pacing the Cage
Old 01-02-2011, 03:21 PM

fresh patches and CLP works for me
Old 01-02-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340six View Post
fresh patches and CLP works for me
Thge military started useing CLP because it's a good all purpose, clean and lube, at the same time chemical that can be easily trasported and has a good shelf life.

If I had to pick just one chemical for gun maintenance, this would be it...

But while I can still get the #9.....

"Today these eyes scan bleached-out land for the coming of the outbound stage" - Bruce Cockburn - Pacing the Cage
Old 01-02-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorSteel1 View Post
Yup, that stuff is bad juju for anything aluminum.
I found that out the hard way on an Edelbrock intake I bought off a guy. It had been sitting in his garage for awhile, and never got cleaned up when he took it off whatever he had it on. I tried to clean it up with Simple Green, and it basically ruined the intake. I mean, it still worked, but looked like a steamin' pile!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:03 PM

I have never tried it

This may be a question to ask some of the guys over at the gunsmith section
NRA Life Member and NO I dont do Facebook
Old 01-02-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horoscope Fish View Post
I know someone that scrubs his all-steel 1911 with Dawn dish washing detergent, hot water and a scrub brush in the kitchen sink. He then oven dries it, let's it cool on a rack like a batch of cookies, lubes, reassembles and gets on with life. He's been doing it for years (I've witnessed this routine many times over) and his gun shoots really, really well in my limited, but first-hand, experience. To look at, or shot his 1911, you'd never suspect the unorthodox cleaning method. I've heard of GLOCK users putting their pistols through the dishwasher to clean them but have no first-hand experience with that.

I clean my 1858 Remington the same way.. as soon as the dishwasher stops, I open the door and let it flash dry. then put it in the oven on 200 for about an hour. Let it cool and re-oil it. No rust, no problems.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:17 PM

I use Simple Green for cleaning firearms. It's also great for cleaning bicycle chains. FWIW, it's "my wife and me...."

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 01-02-2011, 05:37 PM

Ive seen " Bob Dunlap " the gunsmith/armorer of the AGI Gunsmithing do it in one of their videos. He used it in his tutorial of disassembling the 1911. But he just sprinkled it in a stainless Colt 1911 then immediately rinsed it.

I still have the VHS video and from time to time watch it. However, I never tried it on my firearms. I just used Eds Red for cleaning and Hoppe's 9.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I think i'm going to pass on it for now and stick with ballistol or eezox
+ 1 b'jillion...

It's the european "Simple Green" since the late 1800's....

never gums up - works great as a furniture polish (one of it's original uses) so it does good things for your grips.

NON-toxic, NOT poisonous.... some don't LIKE the smell, but it won't do anything to you (almost a licorice smell)

- I caught the cat licking the ballistol rag once - nothing happened to her.... well, she developed a taste for Wagner symphonies, opera, schnitzel, and occasionally blitzkriegs the other cat..... but other than that, nothing.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I know someone that scrubs his all-steel 1911 with Dawn dish washing detergent, hot water and a scrub brush in the kitchen sink. He then oven dries it, let's it cool on a rack like a batch of cookies, lubes, reassembles and gets on with life. He's been doing it for years (I've witnessed this routine many times over) and his gun shoots really, really well in my limited, but first-hand, experience. To look at, or shot his 1911, you'd never suspect the unorthodox cleaning method.
They said I needed curtains on my kitchen window. I guess this proves it.

This has long been my routine. All guns used to be cleaned this way. (Except the old-timers used soap instead of detergent).

Steve Martin used a similar process to clean his wheel-gun in Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.

I know of no better way to thoroughly, cheaply, non-toxically clean a firearm.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:16 PM

I use it all the time to clean my Wilson, never have had any problems with the finish.