1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Browning Hi-Power

Old 12-27-2010, 02:14 AM

BHP Trigger Pull

Of those that have re-worked triggers on their Hi-Powers, what is the lightest trigger pull that you have been able to safely achieve?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:21 AM

I have a 5# pull that I requested since I carry it.
average of 10 pulls on a Lyman digital gauge.

don't know how light you could go.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Banned

Maybe a better question might be how light with a mainspring that browning has used? I imagine you could break the 4 lb barrier with the superlight mainspring marketed by an entity but at what expense as in sacrifice of longevity?
Old 12-27-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I imagine you could break the 4 lb barrier with the superlight mainspring marketed by an entity but at what expense as in sacrifice of longevity?
Longevity? Do you mean of the spring itself, or does it have some effect on the hammer/sear that I'm unaware of?

It would be interesting to simply cut coils on a mainspring to see how light you could go before primer hits became unreliable.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Banned

Longevity of the slide/frame. In addition to its bearing upon trigger pull weight, it shares with the recoil spring the role of regulating the velocity of the slide.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:51 PM

Ah, I see. I suppose a heavier recoil spring would compensate somewhat, but you'd quickly reach a point of diminishing returns. Is that why the 18.5# recoil spring and the 26# hammer spring have become a sort of aftermarket standard?
Old 12-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Banned

I do not know if an after market standard exist. Some run the 18.5 with the 32. Some buy the 22 target main and run it with the 17.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:28 PM

Well under 4#, with a C&S sear and lots of work. Heavier recoil spring to compensate for a lightened mainspring (I've found HP's to be heavily oversprung at the mainspring, FWIW.)

Lots of take-up, which is far more difficult to get rid of than actual pull weight. And without a mag safety, also.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old 12-27-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I do not know if an after market standard exist.
Maybe it's just a Wolff standard. They sell the 18.5 and 26# as a package.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:41 AM

Bike:
I'm just curious, what are you trying to achieve with a pull lighter than 5# ?

they certainly aren't known for being tack drivers, even after fit with an aftermarket barrel, it's usually the shooter.

while it's true some feel the HP is over sprung in the mainspring like with most things the more you change the more possible trouble you invite.
it's a system.

I'm not saying this is always the case, but it can turn into a domino effect...
Old 12-28-2010, 08:52 AM

Not speaking for anyone else, but a tweaked HP can shoot >2" at 25 yards all day long. A lighter trigger sure helps get there, though-

Larry

Old 12-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Banned

Folks seem to want to achieve the lightest number possible for some reason. I will take a six pound trigger that is clean over a four pound trigger with a gremlin but that is just me. El ranchero has a colt gm that formerly belonged to yours truly with a sub four pound trigger. He loves it for the back yard but we agree it is scary to contemplate holding it on an evil doer.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:20 AM

Is there a way to improve the take up on the trigger.

thanks
Old 12-28-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuntaro View Post
Folks seem to want to achieve the lightest number possible for some reason. I will take a six pound trigger that is clean over a four pound trigger with a gremlin but that is just me. El ranchero has a colt gm that formerly belonged to yours truly with a sub four pound trigger. He loves it for the back yard but we agree it is scary to contemplate holding it on an evil doer.
A sub 4# trigger without any 'gremlins' is quite possible. AFA what you're comfortable carrying, strictly personal; my finger's not on the trigger AT ALL until I'm shooting, so a 3oz. trigger would probably work for me.

Larry

Old 12-28-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadmanDetroit View Post
Bike:
I'm just curious, what are you trying to achieve with a pull lighter than 5# ?
I would like to get the same trigger pull weight of 3 1/2 lbs. as my two 1911's (a Baer and a Kimber), but I know that is not possible. I was shooting for 4 lbs but wound up with a 5 1/2 lb trigger. Not a carry gun. That's why I was wondering what others had.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:32 PM

I wouldn't surrender the idea of a sub 4# trigger on a BHP. Lots of guys can make that happen; even I did, and I'm just an idiot with a Dremel.

(Actually, no Dremels are used in a BHP trigger job. That was what passes for a 'joke' in my world. Please don't grind on your trigger parts, since I might feel guilty...)

Larry

Old 12-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Banned

I am glad we cleared up this dremel business. I could just people flocking to the dremel stores in droves in order to begin their journey to the ultimate trigger.

Once upon a time in the west there was a plastic gun. Instead of a hammer, it came with a striker. The trigger pull weight was a function of the trigger lever angle. The manufacturer offered this lever in three angles that were claimed to produce trigger pulls of 3, 5 and 8 pounds. I shot all three levers to determine what was going to work for me the best and found it to be the eight.

I relate the above to illustrate my theory of trigger alteration to achieve maximum compatibility or interface with the central nervous system of an individual. This will not always be the lightest trigger possible. I have heard old timers in a particular shooting discipline complain of their difficulties with a light weight trigger and their having had trigger work performed in order to make them heavier.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuntaro View Post
I am glad we cleared up this dremel business. I could just people flocking to the dremel stores in droves in order to begin their journey to the ultimate trigger.

Once upon a time in the west there was a plastic gun. Instead of a hammer, it came with a striker. The trigger pull weight was a function of the trigger lever angle. The manufacturer offered this lever in three angles that were claimed to produce trigger pulls of 3, 5 and 8 pounds. I shot all three levers to determine what was going to work for me the best and found it to be the eight.

I relate the above to illustrate my theory of trigger alteration to achieve maximum compatibility or interface with the central nervous system of an individual. This will not always be the lightest trigger possible. I have heard old timers in a particular shooting discipline complain of their difficulties with a light weight trigger and their having had trigger work performed in order to make them heavier.
I wholeheartedly agree. It took quite some time for me to become proficient with a 1-2# trigger, and it takes a number of dry or live fires periodically to retain that proficiency. Once acquired, the skill lets ME shoot faster and more accurately, but I certainly don't think it's a panacea. My father, for instance, shoots best with a smooth DA revolver trigger, getting 2" groups standing and offhand at 25 yards regularly.

I was just pointing out that a light (ish) trigger on a BHP is certainly possible, if that's what you're after.

Larry

Old 12-28-2010, 03:35 PM

I was recently shooting with a CZ 82 and an FM Hi Power. I don't have a trigger weight gauge, but that SA trigger in the CZ is extremely light, perhaps under 3 lbs? And the FM is what it is - 7 pounds?

Yet, offhand, it was far easier to hit targets with the FM. The CZ is extremely accurate when fired from a rest (the hood of my car), but the slack in the trigger makes it difficult to demonstrate that accuracy offhand.

Anyway, I'll trade "crisp" for "light" any day, though I'd prefer both.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:41 AM

Mine was 9.5 before I did the trigger job now it is 5.5

which is just fine as it is only an occasional carry gun and home defence
NRA Life Member and NO I dont do Facebook
Old 12-29-2010, 08:24 AM

Mk III 40cal

I installed a C&S Hammer and Sear, a C&S Trigger Pull reduction kit, and a C&S Lightweight Sear Spring. I also removed the Magazine Disconnect. My trigger is 3lbs, no slips to half cock, no over travel and minimal take-up (it's BHP after all). The single greatest improvements were the Lightweight Sear Spring and the Hammer/Sear Combo. It's not a 1911, but it's way better than stock. Next a Bar-Sto barrel.