1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Les Baer

Old 12-22-2010, 06:22 PM

baer 'rolo' rear sights

have just tendered my order for a hard chrome super tac w/1.5" guarantee with crazy john and wondered if anyone had any pics of the low profile 'rolo' rear sights showing up on baer website.

http://www.lesbaer.com/1911parts.html

anyone seen one, as yet? how do they compare with baer low mount adjustable in terms of sight picture and subjectivity to damage compared to lbc adjustable rear sight? any feedback appreciated. realize fixed sights are a better option, but being right handed/left eyed, i need all the sight flexibility i can muster to get me on target correctly, so want to go with adjustable, but was quite interested in very low profile sight, per link.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:19 PM

The "rollo" sight is a knockoff of an early model Bomar or American Kensight before the "barn door" sight picture designs came out. It gives a cluttered sight picture and I would not want one unless it were a lot lower and/or stronger than standard.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:31 PM

It also looks like a knock off of the old HEG Triangle sight. I don't quite understand why that would be superior to a Bomar type, unless you're going after the retro look. I agree with Jim in that the sight plane is too busy for my tastes. IMO, if you're going after an adjustable sight it's hard to beat the Bomar style sights since that cut seems to be the most universal. You can even buy a high quality fixed sight by John Harrison that fits in the Bomar cut if you want to go fixed.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:39 PM

convincing arguments. thanks for feedback-i was just cruising the baer site and saw it there and had to ask, since i hadn't seen it prior to today. i am looking for clearest sight picture, so the low pro melted bomar style lbc will remain it. have requested style showing up in web pic of concept v rear sight, which seems to have a slight radius to both edges of rear blade, rather than the square cut edges in most other pics of premier and other concept samples.

somehow, all of my usual, lengthy research culminated today in deciding to go with baer, after considering fusion, sti and dan wesson as alternates. john's sale and the 1.5" guarantee were just too much to pass up. am pretty excited to have this project finally underway and appreciate the feedback this forum's
members contributed to my decision. i'll check out harrison's fixed rear sight in the meantime and figure out how i'm going to manage to maintain some level of patience waiting the five months or so to get this piece in my hands.