1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Blade Forum

Old 12-22-2010, 10:09 AM

12c27

I've recently acquired a piece of 12C27 and would like to make myself a knife out of it. I don't think that it has been annealed because it was really difficult to cut with a hacksaw. I would also like to straighten it out a bit. I haven't been able to find any decent information on annealing or forging 12C27 and my search on the forum didn't turn up much. Is there anyone out there with some advice? I would really appreciate any help...
Old 12-22-2010, 11:33 AM

Google SANDVIK for an email address, and shoot them an email. Since they produce the steel, I'm sure that they would be able to tell you. Another possible resource would be a maker who uses the steel, such as Mike Stewart at Bark River Knives. But, if you anneal it, you will have to heat treat it again, be sure to ask about that part. Just a thought or two...
ETA: I don't think forging 12C27 is a good idea, it is primarily used in stock removal. I have never heard of anyone forging this steel, and most air-hardening stainless alloys do not respond kindly to the hammer. Not saying it can't be done, but it's not common.

Last edited by justjed; 12-22-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:27 PM

Thanks, Justjed, really appreciate your advice! I think emailing Sandvik will probably be the best...
Old 12-22-2010, 12:37 PM

Most likely, but Bark River has plenty of experience working with it, and might know a shortcut or two that Sandvik might not tell you. Just a thought, as most large scale manufacturers blank their blades by the hundreds, if not thousands, and someone who grinds small lots might have figured something out that isn't in the factory literature. Good luck, either way!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:25 PM

Good point Justjed. I've just been speaking to some local guys and apparently the piece of steel I bought has been annealed by the manufacturer and locally deep annealed so I guess everything is in order for me to start cutting tomorrow. It's my first attempt so we'll have to see what happens!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:06 PM

Good deal! While I've never made a knife myself, I have looked into it, and one day will probably do it, just to say I did it. I personally rather like 12C27, takes a decent edge, holds it for a while, and is reasonably corrosion resistant. This alloy was designed for cutlery, so it figures it would be good. Let us know how it goes!
Old 12-23-2010, 08:12 AM

Will do. I'm not that familiar with it and normally go for carbon steels. But I've heard a lot of good stuff about it and it was what I could get my hands on easily enough so we'll see what happens!