1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 12-11-2010, 06:04 PM

Cheapest complete reloading set up?

What would be the easiest to use and cheapest (but effective) complete set up for reloading .45 acp? Also how much powder should I use on the .45? also what brand of powder should I use?
Old 12-11-2010, 06:25 PM

Mine and many others recommendation will be... ABC's of reloading... get the book, read it cover to cover and then ask questions.

What your asking is way to vague. There are at least a dozen recent threads on the start-up topic.

You need to give though, make a certain factors know…

What calibers? How much you need a month for you shooting requirements? What your expectation are in reloading your own? Is it to save money, shoot more, have ammo more readily available? What is you actual budget?

STI Spartan 9mm

GLOCK G19, G34 (3rd Gen) G17 and G26 (4th Gen)
Old 12-11-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerglocker View Post
Mine and many others recommendation will be... ABC's of reloading... get the book, read it cover to cover and then ask questions.

What your asking is way to vague. There are at least a dozen recent threads on the start-up topic.

You need to give though, make a certain factors know…

What calibers? How much you need a month for you shooting requirements? What your expectation are in reloading your own? Is it to save money, shoot more, have ammo more readily available? What is you actual budget?

+1 Get the book and read it, then read it again, and IT will answer most of your questions.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT40DOC View Post
+1 Get the book and read it, then read it again, and IT will answer most of your questions.
And again!
Old 12-11-2010, 07:58 PM

I guess I'll fourth that. Read and figure your needs and come back and let us know what they are.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:00 PM

Yep, get a good book. The ABC's, Lyman's 49th, or the Lee manual and read it cover to cover and over again. Then come back and ask more specific questions.

In my opinion reading one of these books is a must.

Good luck buddy

Kimber SIS Pro - Les Baer TRS - Spikes Tactical AR
Old 12-11-2010, 08:02 PM

I sixth that...

Yep. Or Nosler or Speer or Honady or Sierra manual.

And when you finish reading, and finally know what kind of press you want, keep in mind that just about everyone (including Dillon, Lee, RCBS and Redding) have starter kits available with nearly everything you need in one kit.

After a bit of primary education from the books, you can come back here and get your college education on the finer points of reloading.

But beware of Internet advice! Lots and lots of people on this Internet are liars and they give you wrong (and dangerous) advice! But after you read the books, you will get a sense for how to separate good from bad.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:20 PM

First, to obligatory "go read a reloading manual"

Now, to your question...
Since you're asking for cheap, I assume you're not looking for the fastest production, or the very highest quality that would outlive you.

$16.46 for a press https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...=00047VBSR0084
$28.19 for dies https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...sku=0000690513
$1.30 for a powder funnel https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...=00047VBSR0055

The dies have a powder scoop, but it would be better to have a scale to double check it.

You can get a cheap one for around $20 https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...u=00047VBSR003

If you want to do close to max loads, get a better scale.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:31 PM

ksJoe forgot the calipers.
And the priming tool.
And the safety glasses.

But you'll know all that after you read the book.

(Fair to note that many Lee dies come with shellholder, but dies from Lyman, Hornady, RCBS, Redding, Forster, and certain Lee dies require purchase of a shellholder separately.)
Old 12-11-2010, 11:38 PM

The Classic Lee Loader comes to mind. It is the one you 'whack' with a mallet. Factory sales sells them for $22.

https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/...html#LeeLoader

Slower than anything, but it WILL make safe, reliable and accurate ammo with NO additional purchases.

Most folks opt for at least the Lee Anniversary kit single stage. Next up would be their great Classic turret.

After that all the other brands make terrific higher cost reloading equipment.

Last edited by RandyP; 12-11-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
ksJoe forgot the calipers.
And the priming tool.
And the safety glasses.
Good points. It seemed like I was forgetting something.

I got the $30 caliper from harbor freight on sale for $10. Plus I had a 20% off coupon, so it was $8. Its a very nice $8 caliper

I don't think about safety glasses much because I wear glasses. I know, technically I should have safety glasses with side shields on them, but...

The priming tool would be nice to have, but if he's going cheap its not at all required. He can easily prime using the press.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
The Classic Lee Loader comes to mind. It is the one you 'whack' with a mallet. Factory sales sells them for $22.

https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/...html#LeeLoader

Slower than anything, but it WILL make safe, reliable and accurate ammo with NO additional purchases.

Most folks opt for at least the Lee Anniversary kit single stage. Next up would be their great Classic turret.

After that all the other brands make terrific higher cost reloading equipment.
You should still get a scale to verify your dipper and a caliper for OAL.

I actually asked for one of these in 9mm for Xmas just for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noFKV8S6cnQ

STI Spartan 9mm

GLOCK G19, G34 (3rd Gen) G17 and G26 (4th Gen)
Old 12-12-2010, 08:35 AM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Cheap is a relative term. Cheap isn't always the least amount of dollars either.

I would recommend staying away for the Lee hammer whack type of reloading gear. Yes, it'll do the job, but what you can make in a whole evening you will shoot up in about 2 and half minutes. Not worth the effort expended.

I recommend one of the single stage press beginner kits such as those sold by RCBS and Hornady. You get the basics you need, and it is good quality equipment. If you get into it and decide you don't like reloading (unlikely but it does happen), you'll find it a lot easier to sell and recoup your investment than with Lee gear.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:33 AM

Just saw an ad (maybe Cabelas?) for the Lee Anniversary kit for under $75. All it lacks is a caliper and you can get one from Harbor Freight for under $20. It ain't a Dillon, but $75 doesn't buy much at the Dillon store either - lol

I agree that pistol ammo made with the Lee whack-a-mole could be a very frustrating proposition...... but it would work and cost very little.

Unlike many passtimes, there IS a way for newcomers to participate in the great hobby of reloading at all budget levels.

Your reloading manual will tell you this, but there are 7000 grains of powder in a pound. You can just divide that by the load you will be using to get a handle on how many rounds a pound of any powder could make.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:55 AM

frank8097, besides from the good advice above truth be told there really isn't a concept of "cheapest" in handloading. You will end up spending several hundred dollars minimum once all said and done. My advice is to choose carefully so you don't have to repurchase gear.

Good luck!

-1911Collector

"You have a pretty face. Do you speak Spanish? ...you have a face como un burro." Gru.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:26 PM

$20 for the lee clasic loader. That an a hammer is all you need to load, oh and a bunch of time. Very slow.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:44 PM

Cheap is not necessarily good.

[Soap Box] Be sure not to go cheap on your powder measuring device. Get a good scale, and I do not like the Lee Dippers, they are not accurate at all unless you grind them down and even then not that good.

Remember, a blown up gun or medical bills will make the cheap option mighty expensive. Go Single stage with a good kit, never scrimp in reloading.

[/Soap Box]

Bill
Utah & Enhanced Idaho CWP holder
COTEP# CBOB0476
Old 12-12-2010, 02:25 PM

Lee is probably the cheapest way into reloading handgun rounds.

I have the classic turret and all together was about 150.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:22 PM

Cheapest on the planet

The cheapest reloading equipment is from this guy in Kabul. He's got some dirt cheap guns too.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:28 PM

Atlanta......I like that.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:58 PM

So that's the guy that made my Coke-Cola "PoP" gun.....
Old 12-14-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrwdd View Post
[Soap Box] Be sure not to go cheap on your powder measuring device. Get a good scale, and I do not like the Lee Dippers, they are not accurate at all unless you grind them down and even then not that good.

Remember, a blown up gun or medical bills will make the cheap option mighty expensive. Go Single stage with a good kit, never scrimp in reloading.

[/Soap Box]

Bill
I started with Lee scale and powder measure they didn't last a day get something good I went with rcbs only because my dad has one he's had for close to 20 years. I recommend a kit its cheaper in the long run than piecing it even getting the component on sale still over payed. I love my rock chucked rcbs. Only gripe is I have to use a hand primer because it does only one at a time on the press rather than the tube set up. If you get into rifles I'd get a trickler I thought it was a waste of money until I used it.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:20 AM

nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
$20 for the lee clasic loader. That an a hammer is all you need to load, oh and a bunch of time. Very slow.

You'll still require:
-Safety glasses
-a thick glove (I prefer a motorcycle gauntlet) for the hand holding the rod when priming
Old 12-16-2010, 02:47 AM

Any more info on the Lee Anniversary kit? I searched around and the ones I saw were out of stock or said it was discontinued.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:23 AM

Have you looked here?

https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/...g/anivers.html

At this time of year I would not be surprised to find a LOT of stuff on back order.